What's new

Converters are messy

One of my favorite pens I own to date is a Levenger with a converter in it. I always use it at home for homework and notes and such and later end up putting it into my backpack into its own felt lined pocked designed for sunglasses. No matter how careful I am with the pen and backpack, the converter always pops out and makes a inky mess inside the pen. Obviously, the best route would be to get a piston filler but students can't afford Pelikans :D And I don't want a TWSBI:001_tt2: Is there any fix to get the converter to stay in there better? Or am I just stuck making a mess?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Converters in general are not messy, as they should never come out unless you pull on them.
Do you have the correct converter for the pen?

Have you considered the German made piston filler "Reform 1745"? Nice pen for not a lot of money.

Shoot me a PM. I have a PIF for you.

I've been a student and understand, shoot me a PM and we'll get details figured out.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Converters can wear the opening to a larger size just as an old cartridge loses its grip. Maybe it's been pulled on and off too many times.

Converters can wear the opening to a larger size just as an old cartridge loses its grip. Maybe it's been pulled on and off too many times.

+1. If you are never going to use a cartridge and always use the converter, you can probably glue it in there, thereby making it a piston filler of sorts.

MonteVerde converters thread into the sections,... you can find really nice looking ones with a lot of different nib choices for around 50 bucks

Converters in general are not messy, as they should never come out unless you pull on them.
Do you have the correct converter for the pen?

Have you considered the German made piston filler "Reform 1745"? Nice pen for not a lot of money.

It should be the correct converter. Just in case I tried a different one which is basically the same thing. It fits on snug and I can lift the pen up by the converter but it still manages to pop out :(

That shouldn't happen.

Which model pen and which model of converter - it may be some sort of defect in the shape/size of the attachment point.

You might want to try the recommended cartridges to see if the same thing happens - that might help you figure out where the problem lies.

Finally, a bit of teflon tape might help.

A possible simple fix is to

FPR Dilli for less than $20 is a piston filler and is a pretty good pen for me so far. You could always try an Ahab and maybe get lucky with one for less than $25.

That shouldn't happen.

Which model pen and which model of converter - it may be some sort of defect in the shape/size of the attachment point.

You might want to try the recommended cartridges to see if the same thing happens - that might help you figure out where the problem lies.

Finally, a bit of teflon tape might help.

A possible simple fix is to

I am not sure what the actual model name of the pen is. Maybe I can contact levenger about it. This link shows what it looks like but seems to be produced by multiple companies.

I've always been a fan of Pilot Varsity pens for travelling. They're cheap, available with an assortment of ink colors and they just work great! I stumbled across one in my desk drawer that I hadn't touched in a couple of years. I pulled the cap off - it wrote immediately. I didn't have to shake any ink into the feed or anything. None of my fancy pens could do that.

If you're thinking of gluing the converter into your pen, try using shellac instead - it's reversible where glue may not be (depending on the type of glue).

Couple other thoughts about the converter popping out... When you put it in your backpack, do you have a full converter? Perhaps there is some pressure build up (temperature change etc.) that's causing the converter to pop lose. If that's the case, leaving some air space in the converter would help. If that's not it, you could also try putting a piece of cotton or something similar down inside the barrel to put a little pressure on the tail end of the converter helping to hold it in place.

Top Bottom