What's new

Controversial Hatred, or the thing you hate that everyone looks at you funny for.

Most "animal rights" organizations like PETA, ASPCA, HSUS, etc. I would never send one of these organizations a dime. They're hypocrites with their own agendas. As soon as I see one of their "Arms Of An Angel" videos with carefully-calculated shots of caged and frightened animals, I want to puke. These organizations are about them and their agenda, not about animals.

For the record, I'm an animal lover. If I encountered somebody being cruel to an animal, I'd beat them down on the spot and suffer the consequences later.

Peta has the highest kill rate of any organization. Some protection group....

What is interesting about most big organizations is that there are usually a few local groups who do excellent, meaningful work --- in spite of what is spouted at the top level.

Most "animal rights" organizations like PETA, ASPCA, HSUS, etc. I would never send one of these organizations a dime. They're hypocrites with their own agendas. As soon as I see one of their "Arms Of An Angel" videos with carefully-calculated shots of caged and frightened animals, I want to puke. These organizations are about them and their agenda, not about animals.
+1 ... same thing goes for the commercials showing starving children in Africa and abused women and children. Not that I don't care about these causes, but I can see through the smoke and mirrors and advertising hype and its easy to decide that they are not what they appear to be.

There are very few service organizations I will contribute to. The short list includes The American Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity. I like these groups because they actually accomplish something. They're not about all talk and no action. When there's work to be done, they roll up their sleeves and go do it.

When I get a telemarketing call for any charitable organization, they usually start off with "Thank you for your generous contribution last year ... may I put you down for another $100 donation today?" Well, I didn't give them anything last year, or the year before that or the year before that. I know this for a fact. They are blowing smoke and I'm not buying it. I will ask them to direct me to their website, so I can research their organization ... and I will ask them questions like "What is the name of your national president?" "When was your organization founded?" "Where is the national Headquarters?" They fail this simple test almost every time, and I know its a scam.

One of the worst examples of telemarketing I can remember came when I got a call from someone soliciting funds for one of New Jersey's gubernatorial candidates. My Caller-ID said the call came from Ohio! I let the lady know this and questioned why they would be calling from out of state to get funds for the NJ Governor's Campaign. She responded that she was just an independent contractor working from home and this is the assignment she was given. I told her that there are plenty of people in The Garden State that need jobs (I was one of them at the time) and I refuse to give to any candidate that outsources his labor away from his own jurisdiction. Not that I would have given them anything, anyway, but that seemed like a good excuse to refuse a donation and express some ire and indignation at the same time. She sympathized with me but didn't have an answer, so she said goodbye and moved on to her next call.

TV... period. Ours finally bit the dust last year but really haven't seen much of anything in the last 25 years. Never a single episode of Seinfeld, Cheers, The Simpson's, just to start... The list of things to do instead is endless, never enough hours in a day.
dave

Now you're just being silly :p

$me.png

I hate it when a band doesn't turn up. Or turns up late and drunk. Van Halen springs to mind.

My uncle tells a story of George Jones being booked to play Billy Bob's in Fort Worth. This would have been the early '80s. The tour bus pulled up to the back of the club and George Jones went in to the green room, grabbed all of the booze, then got back on the bus and left. The embarrassed club manager apologized to the crowd and issued refunds, promising a make-up show.

A short time later, George was re-booked at Billy Bob's. The club manager deputized my uncle and his buddies as additional security with one task: when George Jones comes in, you make sure he doesn't leave. Later that evening, the bus pulls up. George Jones goes to the green room, grabs all the booze, and heads to the back door. My uncle and his buddies block the door and tell him, "I don't think so." A severely drunk George Jones relents and go on to play the show ... poorly.

Is this true? I don't know; but I'd like to think that it is.

My uncle tells a story of George Jones being booked to play Billy Bob's in Fort Worth. This would have been the early '80s. The tour bus pulled up to the back of the club and George Jones went in to the green room, grabbed all of the booze, then got back on the bus and left. The embarrassed club manager apologized to the crowd and issued refunds, promising a make-up show.

A short time later, George was re-booked at Billy Bob's. The club manager deputized my uncle and his buddies as additional security with one task: when George Jones comes in, you make sure he doesn't leave. Later that evening, the bus pulls up. George Jones goes to the green room, grabs all the booze, and heads to the back door. My uncle and his buddies block the door and tell him, "I don't think so." A severely drunk George Jones relents and go on to play the show ... poorly.

Yeah true or not it's a great story. :thumbup:

It's probably true. His reputation earned him the nick name, "no-show" Jones.

I had never heard that nickname. I also found lyrics to this song of his:

They call me No Show, they call me No Show Jones
I'm still never on
I'm still never on
Instead of just singin' my songs, my whereabouts are unknown
They call me No Show Jones

If you can laugh about it, that makes it endearing, right?

I had never heard that nickname. I also found lyrics to this song of his:

They call me No Show, they call me No Show Jones
I'm still never on
I'm still never on
Instead of just singin' my songs, my whereabouts are unknown

If you can laugh about it, that makes it endearing, right?

George Jones Survived ‘No Show’ Period Because Fans Identified With Him

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...-show-period-because-fans-identified-with-him

For the record, I'm an animal lover. If I encountered somebody being cruel to an animal, I'd beat them down on the spot and suffer the consequences later.

I'm a member of a different PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. :)

Top Bottom