What's new

Controversial Hatred, or the thing you hate that everyone looks at you funny for.

Does it set you off when two people are talking to each other in a restaurant, or having a conversation in Aisle 5 of the Piggly Wiggly? If not, why not? What difference does the phone make?

Because MOST people having a conversation in a restaurant are talking quietly. People on cell phones are usually SCREAMING.

Clean up in aisle 5. :tongue_sm

$Cleanup-On-Aisle-6_Web.jpg

Because MOST people having a conversation in a restaurant are talking quietly. People on cell phones are usually SCREAMING.

This is it exactly. It doesn't bother me if someone is talking on their phone at a normal volume in a polite tone of voice, but when they are screaming into their phone or just loud talking that's it, it sets me right off.

The other thing that bothers me is when I'm waiting behind someone at an intersection and the light changes and they just sit there staring at their phone, but that's probably not too controversial a hatred.

I don't know how controversial it is, but I hate lima beans. I did get a funny look once when I said lima beans are really rabbit testicles.

So, how am I supposed to feel good about everyone having a cell phone... when half of them that do are jabbering on them while driving, texting on them while driving, or just THINKING about all the crap they will talk about once they park the car? I see zombies walking all over town with a permanent crick in their neck from staring at their devices. If their battery runs down, getting the thing recharged becomes the most important thing in their shallow existence.

I keep on hoping that somehow this whole thing is going to fade away --- like CB radio... but I don't think so. It's achieved critical mass---and it won't stop until everyone's lives are completely overtaken and RUINED by the technology.

...as I sit here waiting for my trusty old rotary landline

$phone4.jpg ...to ring

Around where I live, the local newspapers are SO bad that a whole string of adverbs could only improve things. I see "news stories" which show absolutely no trace of Who, What, When, Where Why or How. I mean--- you have to TRY very hard to write a news story that doesn't contain even ONE of those elements, but that is done routinely... and no one seems to mind. (They're too busy talking on their cell phones maybe.)

Since this thread seemed to start with music, here's my .02 worth. Can't say as I hate them, but I've never really cared for the following and they're not on my playlist. I've been listening to rock music since I was about 4 and love it, but none of these artists/bands do it for me.

The Eagles
Bob Seger
Tom Petty
Pat Benatar
U2
Billy Joel
The Beatles. Yes, The Beatles
Eric Clapton
Joan Jett
Journey
Paul Simon
Rod Stewart
Neil Young

None of the above are on my playlist. Like I said, don't really "hate" them, but just never got into their music. When I look at them, I think "Why don't I like them?" I don't know. I'd rather just listen to other music than them.

None of the above are on my playlist.

I have to agree with nearly all of your dislikes. I've figured out that Paul McCartney is really the only part of the Beatles that I ever really liked.

I never understood the appeal of any of the people you mention, but do have to hand it to the Eagles for nailing a sound that a majority of people simply cannot resist.

I hate "observed" holidays. If an event is significant enough to note it each year, do so on the correct day. No matter how you cut it, an "observed" day is just a day off from work---nothing wrong with that---we can all use more days of not working. However, parlaying an observed holiday into a three-day weekend is plainly obscene.

Memorial Day stands out in my mind as a day when I am not concerned at all with having a good time or with eating well. Accordingly, if we are going to celebrate the birth of someone we truly admire, I choose to not do so at a shopping event. Some holidays were meant to be contemplative; it is in our best interest to do just that.

Sports. Any sports. I cannot stand any televised sport. ....

I'm not as bad as I use to be about it, but I _really_ used to hate sports.
Especially when the city I used to live in would find any and every sport that could go into overtime and put it on before Star Trek.
Where's the Heidi when you need it?!
(Now listening to Cubs games on the radio has grown on me a bit.)

Rap music. Can't stand it...

I like most every kind of music. I've even come to appreciate some [clean] forms of rap for specific reasons.
Still can't tolerate screechy opera!

Because MOST people having a conversation in a restaurant are talking quietly...

The table we sat at in a restaurant Sunday morning had an open window to the adjoining section. There were three guys at that table who understood the concept of inside voices. The fourth guy, the one diagonally across from me. He just didn't get it.

... I see zombies walking all over town with a permanent crick in their neck from staring at their devices...

Did anyone get to stare at their phone in an interesting place this past weekend?

I hate "observed" holidays. If an event is significant enough to note it each year, do so on the correct day. No matter how you cut it, an "observed" day is just a day off from work---nothing wrong with that---we can all use more days of not working. However, parlaying an observed holiday into a three-day weekend is plainly obscene.

Memorial Day stands out in my mind as a day when I am not concerned at all with having a good time or with eating well. Accordingly, if we are going to celebrate the birth of someone we truly admire, I choose to not do so at a shopping event. Some holidays were meant to be contemplative; it is in our best interest to do just that.

I understand where you're coming from. I do, however, think it's possible to contemplate, as well as doing other things, all within the span of a day, and not defile the spirit of the "observed" holiday.

Top Bottom