Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather

Who will win?

• Conor Conquers

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Floyd Will-weather the storm and win

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Floyd wins this match. I dont see how he loses at all.

Floyd has faced faster, harder punchers than conor (including southpaws, before anyone says floyd has trouble with southpaws... he doesn't). Not to mention the skill gap between floyds opponents and conor's mediocre boxing.

Like y'all have said. It's a money grab fight. That's all this is.

If they stick to boxing, Mayweather. That being said, I'd love to see McGregor get all frustrated and p'd off and just tackle Mayweather and pound the crap out of him until they need three people to pull him off. Ummmmm. I'm sorry. That was violent, wasn't it? But hey, it would make the night far more interesting than your typical Floyd Mayweather fiascos. Bottom line, someone needs to take the fight to Mayweather and make him take lots of punches. Oops. There I go again. On that note....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No, it wouldn't even things up. It'd be life-threatening to Mayweather.

Physically life threatening or are you just referring to his ego?

Both! I think the boxing evens things up more than the MMA would. There is a touch of boxing in MMA. There is absolutely zero MMA in boxing. Unless you count being able to dodge a punch. I gotta think that being an MMA guy learning and focusing on the boxing aspect might come a little easier to Conor. But trying to teach MMA to a boxing guy in under a year for the biggest fight of his career?....no chance.

I'd like to bet $1,000 on Conor just for the high odds that he MIGHT win. It would be a nice payday.

I'd like to bet $1,000 on Conor just for the high odds that he MIGHT win. It would be a nice payday.

The odds were interesting for this fight. There were much more lopsided betting lines for many of Floyd's previous opponents who had significantly greater pedigree. At the end of the day Conor still has a puncher's chance to win this thing...

If they stick to boxing, Mayweather. That being said, I'd love to see McGregor get all frustrated and p'd off and just tackle Mayweather and pound the crap out of him until they need three people to pull him off. Ummmmm. I'm sorry. That was violent, wasn't it? But hey, it would make the night far more interesting than your typical Floyd Mayweather fiascos. Bottom line, someone needs to take the fight to Mayweather and make him take lots of punches. Oops. There I go again. On that note....
Floyd has clauses in the contract in case something like this happens. Conor would get sued, and probably lose most of his prize money.

Floyd has clauses in the contract in case something like this happens. Conor would get sued, and probably lose most of his prize money.

That's just not fair. Then again, McGregor wouldn't be able to see a pay day of this magnitude without riding Mayweather's coat tails. So, I guess it is fair.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can't imagine a guy who let such an accomplished pugilist as Nate Diaz tee off on him standing a chance against a champ. It's a joke.

I can't imagine a guy who let such an accomplished pugilist as Nate Diaz tee off on him standing a chance against a champ. It's a joke.
Been saying this since the fight was signed.

Also, i disagree that conor has that punchers chance. Without a doubt, canelo, mosley, cotto, and a few others punch way harder than conor, along with the skill to be able to land that hard punch. If they couldn't do it. Conor sure isn't gonna do it either.

McGregor and people's opinions of him is an interesting subject. He is a good fighter but the hype around him far outweighs anything he has accomplished so far. The same was true for Rousey.

People are saying that if he knocked out Mayweather he would be the best athlete in history. :) He still wouldn't be particularly experienced as a fighter or as an athlete compared to anyone who is truly great.

If he knocked out Mayweather he would be lucky. It's not going to happen, of course, for all the reasons already stated.

If he had stayed in one division and had taken on all the best and had a UFC record of 16 and 1 like "Mightly Mouse" Johnson that would be impressive. Instead it's 9 and 1 and not all of them were tough fights.

He couldn't beat Nate Diaz consistently I don't think. If he stays at 155 rather than at 145 he may not have such a good record anyway.

His showmanship is what distinguishes him and not particularly his fighting. People seem to expect miracles from him just as they did from Rousey. He has holes in his game as she did. You have to stay and fight and give people enough time to figure out those holes to be great.

He gasses out and isn't great on the ground. She wasn't great on her feet but she was just fighting others who weren't either.

Holly Holm is interesting but she isn't great on the ground either.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Has McGregor even gone 5 rounds in MMA? There is always a 'fighters chance' to find Mayweathers chin at least once.
And that could be the only chance McGregor needs. McGregors strong suit in the MMA has never been stamina, so the chance of even slipping one in on Mayweathers chin will slip away more and more if the fight carries on into the later rounds.

If 49 real boxers haven't been able to find Merryweather's chin, I don't think McGregor is going to be able to do it. Oscar De La Hoya couldn't do it.

I think McGregor went 5 rounds in the last Nate Diaz fight (barely).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Now you all got me considering ordering the fight. Stop with all the hype!

To see Conor get lucky and knock out Floyd...that would be worth the hundred bucks to me. History in the making. The punch heard around the world. It would be sheer luck too. Not skill.

Maybe I'll see if my bro wants to watch it too and half it with me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
MMA fighters would appear to rule supreme in what I like to call an elevator fight, i.e., put two guys in an elevator, no ref, no rules, close the door, one guy comes out.

I believe that was the initial appeal of the UFC some twenty odd years ago. People were always fascinated by the thought of comparing the efficacy of different fighting forms when engaged in a basic, minimalist forum. Unfortunately, the initial results were a mishmash of short, grotesque mismatches that did little to resolve the original question, and it seemed that the UFC would be short lived after the initial freak show aspect of it had worn off.

How did it survive? For one, the basic question as to the superior approach to fighting remained unanswered, and may in fact never be, so there remained considerable impetus to continue. But there were other issues to overcome. They needed stars. I recall an episode of The Simpsons where they tried to bring soccer to Springfield. The commercial said come see all your heroes, whereupon the announcer would rattle off a list of unpronounceable names. Good joke, but not good if you're trying to fill seats. No one wants to see Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky vs. Boonlert Kongsoontorncharden for the heavyweight title.

So how do you get stars? One way is to manufacture them, but it doesn't always work. For a while it seemed as if the UFC would go the way of the original masters of manufacturing stars, the wacky world of professional wrestling. Case study- Brock Lesnar. Now Brock Lenar is undoubtedly an incredible physical specimen. He's both huge and agile, a fantastic athlete, and a legitimately great collegiate wrestler. He was thought to be able to bring huge attention to both fields, but as is so often the case, when you attempt to achieve two goals simultaneously you conquer neither. What a bust that was, and it all boiled down to this- how do you expect to maintain the slightest semblance of legitimacy when you give a title shot to a guy with two or three fights under his belt? It demeans the sport and its faithful participants.

The other way to get get stars is via the aforementioned faithful participants. That's what saved the sport. All of those guys grinding it out in gyms, working their way up the ranks, building name recognition by dint of effort rather than push of promoters. The Rich Franklins, the Matt Hughes, the St. Pierres- the gears in the machine that continuously raised the level of skill and competition the sport required to be watchable, let alone profitable. Today there are numerous stars that fall under the incredibly desirable category of household names. There is excitement in the lightest divisions. There's a women's division! It would seem things are great.

And now we are presented with another freak show, and I can only ask why? Why now? The UFC is an extraordinarily profitable enterprise that has probably already surpassed boxing in terms of popularity. Aside from the huge short term influx of cash (a big aside, admittedly) does it not see the risk of having yet another of the anointed faces of the sport being exposed as unworthy of the accolades, or even an outright fraud? Did they learn nothing from the deification of Rousey and its aftermath?

Perhaps they did manage to learn the greatest lesson of all from wrestling, and that is how does one handle the greatest failures in your field- pretend it never happened.

Current odds

McGregor - +575
Mayweather - -850

I am not promoting gambling but Vegas has Mayweather as an overwhelming favorite.

As one poster suggested, both win. It's a huge payday for both.

When people wonder why the UFC is agreeing to this they don't seem to consider that they had little choice.

They will make money from this even though it's not a UFC promotion. They will probably make more money from this than they have made YTD. This isn't a particularly good year for them.

McGregor is why they are doing this. He wanted it. He may not come back but he will probably come back for a fight or two. Saying "no" to him wasn't really in the cards.

It's hard to pass by this much "free" money. It's a one of a kind thing. It's not like there will be other MMA/boxer matches.

When people wonder why the UFC is agreeing to this they don't seem to consider that they had little choice.

They will make money from this even though it's not a UFC promotion. They will probably make more money from this than they have made YTD. This isn't a particularly good year for them.

McGregor is why they are doing this. He wanted it. He may not come back but he will probably come back for a fight or two. Saying "no" to him wasn't really in the cards.

It's hard to pass by this much "free" money. It's a one of a kind thing. It's not like there will be other MMA/boxer matches.

I think that the new owners probably didnt have a choice. And therefore agree with you on that end. They paid so much money and they're just trying to make it back.

But if it was still the fertittas that owned the ufc. I don't think this would be happening. If they took conor off the ufc 200 card because he didn't make a press conference and stripped him of the featherweight title shortly after he won the lightweight title. I doubt they would be letting this happen.

With that said, i think the fertittas saw this happening. With either conor or some other fighter in the future. And they realized their strong arm tactics weren't gonna work anymore (we are seeing this now with dana and Demetrius Johnson). They were also seeing the amount of guys getting caught by USADA, and the damage it was causing to ppv cards. If they test positive, they get suspended and cant fight. Which equals less ppv buys and ultimately less money in the fertittas pockets.

It was a genius move by them to sell, over 4 billion, for an organization that they bought for 1.9 million.

And there's been mma/boxer matches before. But none with the caliber of floyd mayweather.

Just put $10k on McGregor. Imagine the payday if he ends up winning.
Are you suggesting this, or you actually put 10k on conor?

Top Bottom