What's new

Connaught Shaving: Shipping prices

I have noticed a big increase in their shipping costs over the last few months.

I ordered a Schick Proline P-30 pack for £12 with shipping costs of £1.50 early April.
I made another order for 100 GEM blades which was £12 and £3.20 shipping in May.

I looked there today to see if they had Schick Prolines back in stock. Didn't look like it but what I did notice when I added the GEM blades to my cart that the shipping was not £8.30.

Not sure if it is COVID-19 related or not but seems like quite a big hike over the last few months.

It's not COVID-19-related. It has to do with the U.S. government raising inbound terminal dues (AKA postal rates) on all international shipments to the U.S. That officially took effect on July 1, but it was part of an agreement struck in September 2019 to keep the U.S. from pulling out of the Universal Postal Union. There's a technical explanation in this article.

I've been talking with some other B&B users who have noticed increased shipping rates from various sellers, including Connaught and AliExpress. I read on another site that some experts think that the new rules could mean shipping from China could triple in cost. That explains why a lot of AliExpress sellers stopped offering free shipping in the last few months.

International shipments from the U.S. to other countries will also see postal rate hikes. For example, Maggard sent a newsletter on June 19 stating that they would be increasing their "Economy International" rates, effective June 24. Just to see what effect it might have, I put a $30 razor in the cart and checked the shipping (to Canada) on June 23. It was $3.20. Then, I waited until June 24 and checked the shipping again. Now, it says $5.02 (a 57% increase).

This has given me a bit more incentive to "buy local", so to speak. It's lucky that we (Canadians) have decent wetshaving equipment vendors in our country, such as Italian Barber and Fendrihan. Shipping from the U.S. was always kind of high, but now it might be a showstopper in some cases.

Man, they're not even offering free shipping with an order over 75 pounds anymore! Ah well, it was a good run.
I know. I noticed that as well. Looks like I will need to order the Schick Prolines in bulk from ebay from now on. Also, need to find some other vendor who sells Personna GEM PFTE blades to the US at a decent price.

Never really bought anything else from Connaught so don't think I will be affected till after my GEM blades run out (still need to open 100 pack).

I know. I noticed that as well. Looks like I will need to order the Schick Prolines in bulk from ebay from now on. Also, need to find some other vendor who sells Personna GEM PFTE blades to the US at a decent price.

Never really bought anything else from Connaught so don't think I will be affected till after my GEM blades run out (still need to open 100 pack).
I got both on ebay. You'll need to contact Japanese sellers and ask for courier shipping service which takes about a week (fedex) or else it will be sent back and they'll tell you to choose another shipping method. Gem blades came in from a seller in Florida I believe. Pretty cheap. I paid just under $18 shipped.

I got both on ebay. You'll need to contact Japanese sellers and ask for courier shipping service which takes about a week (fedex) or else it will be sent back and they'll tell you to choose another shipping method. Gem blades came in from a seller in Florida I believe. Pretty cheap. I paid just under $18 shipped.
Thanks. Will keep an eye out. Between rotating through my AC, GEM and DE blades though I think I should be all set for atleast a year before I need more GEM blades, but still .. :)

Top Bottom