What's new

Competition for Yunnan Sourcing LLC

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The first and sixth links look very interesting, and Puershop has the second, albeit for an extra five smackers.

How many times do I have to say this-
if I had paypal, I would have a tong of every one of those. Of course, I would be giving up a few things, as well.
  • a wife
  • a kid
  • a house
  • a car
  • a life
  • etc.

I have nothing but admiration for all the Puer purveyors. It is just amazing what awesome service we receive half way around the world. But have a soft spot for Gordon at Dragon. You go Gordon! :thumbup:

Scott lagged behind Gordon on some of the 09 Menghai stuff. Im sure he will get most of the Xiaguan in.

We have a Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum of the Cafe here - you could potentially save some paypal fees.

We have a Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum of the Cafe here - you could potentially save some paypal fees.

ya the fees seems to be quite high and why didn't I think of that, thanks for the idea...
would have to read up the guidelines and see what I have to share :smile:

Hi everyone,

I have been really enjoying the forum discussions here.

I couldn't help but to inform you that the price you have been paying is just upsetting. It is sad that some of these Ebay vendors are praised for their business. I am not sure if this is unspoken rule not to mention things like this but I could not resist anymore.

Check some of these taobao stores.

This one is voted one of top 3 tea online store. More than 160,000 transactions and 99.88% positive feedback. This store is a good store.
HERE

Another popular store with good Xiaguan.
HERE

There are many more stores on taobao. They will even do deals outside taobao. Many of these are physical stores in China. The point is that the price you are paying is truly unreasonable. 300-500% margin? It's just too much but nobody is saying anything and how come? I am sure some of you must know of taobao and the going price for puerh in China.

No more getting ripped off. It's just been too much.

Hi everyone,
Check some of these taobao stores.

No more getting ripped off. It's just been too much.

I might shop there if I could read Chinese, but since I can't those web sites are useless to me. Because this is your only post here I have to ask, are you affiliated with those web sites?

I might shop there if I could read Chinese, but since I can't those web sites are useless to me. Because this is your only post here I have to ask, are you affiliated with those web sites?

There are thousands of these stores. I am not referring to the two stores. Those are just examples to show you how serious you are getting ripped off.

Just type in Xiaguan. You will get an idea.

Look, you can pay whatever you want to pay for whatever reasons you have. I am just informing you for your sake. 300-500% margin is just too much just because you don't speak Chinese.

I actually wish I am affiliated with some of those stores.

I am just really upset because of the common business practices targeting Western consumers and no one is speaking up about this craziness. You all are so well informed and learned about the puerh tea itself but even after couple years, you keep paying the crazy price.

Some of you, I know, know about taobao and other reasonable vendors. How come these reasonable vendors are so under the radar? Hobbes is doing a good job sharing some info about taobao with other people yet the rest of you the informed keep things unspoken.

Last edited:
Well, most of us are aware that pu'er is much cheaper in China - that is no secret. There are a couple of practical issues, though:

• As has been said, a Chinese website might as well be ancient Greek for all I would understand it
  • How on earth do I know I am getting the real stuff? Part of the markup is having someone you can actually rely on to get the actual products instead of counterfeits
  • I hesitate to pass along my financial information to places I have no idea about

I can guarantee if a reputable dealer in an English language site could post those prices, it would instantly put many other shops out of business. Thanks for the indignation, though - maybe you should open a tea shop?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a guy in Nigeria that can get you those teas for half the price of taobao. Just send him your credit card numbers and he'll hook you up.

Seriously, I've contacted several chinese vendors who have expressed absolutely no interest in dealing with westerners or shipping to the US.

If you think paying 300-500% markup for an inexpensive product brought here from another country, all I can say is that it appears you never had a cup of coffee.

You may have missed a few other points about the gents on this site. By and large, price is not often the deciding factor. We tend to focus more on guarantee of provenance, ease of transaction, and assurance of delivery. It's going to cost more than $1.75 to have a Nathan's hot dog shipped to Hong Kong, and if I pay $15 for a terrific bing of pu'er that had to travel halfway around the world to get to my house, that's a bargain in my book.

^^^ What they said. ^^^

Since I'm a poor student it would be nice to pay those prices, but I don't mind paying extra to buy from somebody I trust. Those Chinese shops probably couldn't care less about selling a few dollars worth of tea to some American, whereas the people that we buy from are there to serve us. Besides, pu is dirt cheap as it is, even for what we pay.

I am just really upset because of the common business practices targeting Western consumers and no one is speaking up about this craziness. You all are so well informed and learned about the puerh tea itself but even after couple years, you keep paying the crazy price.

So how do I go about purchasing from those sites? I can't read a thing there.

Good points everyone.

I have said and shared what would be beneficial to the people who enjoy puerh tea.

It is interesting to see the hostility I face. I expected this yet it does not feel nice. Why ridicule someone who brings useful information? What have I done to you that you would harbor negative intents and comments against me?

Please don't get so aggressively defensive. I just couldn't help but to bring to your attention that the price you are paying is almost unethical. You defend your reason for paying exorbitant amount of money for something so cheap in China. Sure, your point taken. However, if you know how cheap these teas are in China, you should make your statement clear to these vendors to mark the price fairly. Why knowingly and willingly perpetuate this bad pricing? Bring down the price by being informed.

Anyways, keep the taobao price in mind when purchasing from your usual vendors and hassle the price down as much as you can. You can get a good sense of how things are priced from the taobao. In terms of trustworthiness of some of the stores, they are pretty good. There are also ways to buy from them. It just takes some time and getting to know some people.

Let many people know about taobao pricing. Even though you can't get the same pricing, you won't pay what the vendors list.

Many of you invested a lot of money already in puerh. We must minimize bad investment even though many of us are just doing so for fun. I was alarmed by the rate at which some of our members are jumping into bigger purchases.

My apology for making some of us feel upset. Sometimes the fact that you paid so much for something so cheap can really make you upset and be aggressive toward someone who brings this to awareness. There are people who make purchases, large purchases, based on the reviews you write. We, people who write passionately about puerh drive the market significantly.

We not only need to be responsible for keeping the joy of tea alive and strong but also we need to be responsible about creating a healthy market for tea. That means, we not only share good reviews but also we need to be conscientious about the influence we have to the Western puerh community.

Something's funny here; I might be tempted to use the term trollish. I am not sure anyone has ridiculed you, unless you describe simple questions as hostility. On the contrary, you show up with a userID of "The Ugly Truth" and basically tell us we are a bunch of idiots. If you have a constructive way of letting us know how to get good tea more cheaply from a reputable source without fear of passing along financial information, let's hear it. Otherwise, have a cup of tea, relax, and share your expertise and love of tea with us without the sanctimony.

Top Bottom