What's new

Comparison of inexpensive TTOs

So I have a Van Der Hagen short handle TTO (which is really a Weishi 9306 rebrand). I was wondering how it compares to the Vikings Blade "Chieftain Jr" razor.

Has anyone tried both of these razors? How do they compare?

I will say: they are worth <$8..... and I would suggest: just get a vintage Gillette....they are better made and will probably last you longer....

It's a great active forum when someone replies to a question that's over 2 months old! 👍

FWIW, I have a vintage Gillette black handle Super Speed TTO and it provides a shave that's indistinguishable (to me, anyway) from the VDH. That is to say, the VDH is a near perfect clone, in terms of shave performance, of the 1960s/70s era Super Speed.

If I had to guess, I would say the Chieftain Jr and the VDH are probably the same rebranded razor. (Of course, I might be wrong.)

It's a great active forum when someone replies to a question that's over 2 months old! 👍
The forums are pretty active usually, my guess is, it was a fairly specific question that wouldn't apply to many, and they probably passed on by thinking someone would weigh in.

That's what I would have done, because I've not used either, however, I thought I'd mention the search function. I use it now and then and have found it really helpful. If you search on "Chieftain Jr." and on "Weishi 9306" I imagine there must be a few hits out there that have (hopefully) useful info.

When I was looking for a TTO earlier this year, I was considering a Chieftain, like many things on this site, it seemed to be a YMMV, where some really liked it, others not so much, and there was some talk that perhaps earlier ones were a bit problematic with the newer ones having the kinks worked out. It was very general remarks however.

In razors, it seems a bit of another YMMV, but there seems to be some general truth to 'you get what you pay for' to a point, and with exceptions. Most very low priced razors are not going to have the precision and quality control, that said, you might pick up a good one. Very expensive razors, after a certain level, and based on shave, not aesthetics, give quality shaves. Only the most very aware person is going to find notable differences of shave/quality once you get up to the $200 plus level. Everything else in the middle, is in the middle...its more on personal preference to a certain kind of razor. There are low/mid range that are as good as mid/high, and it starts coming down to type of shave, preferences of material, etc. I'd say go with whatever low end one you want to try, if its a klunker, its not like you are out a couple of hundred dollars.
FWIW, I have a vintage Gillette black handle Super Speed TTO and it provides a shave that's indistinguishable (to me, anyway) from the VDH. That is to say, the VDH is a near perfect clone, in terms of shave performance, of the 1960s/70s era Super Speed.

If I had to guess, I would say the Chieftain Jr and the VDH are probably the same rebranded razor. (Of course, I might be wrong.)

It was intended as a a compliment--I think it's a good sign in an active forum when people respond to unanswered threads.

Regarding Vikings Blade razors: The Chieftain and the Jr are two different designs. From appearances, the Jr looks nearly identical to the VDH, which is actually a pretty good budget TTO (IMO).

Top Bottom