What's new

Comfort Lather Catcher

Stoked about this.. It's freaking gorgeous... Need to hone the blade. Will report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
$WP_20150504_16_17_58_Pro.jpg$WP_20150504_16_28_56_Pro.jpg$WP_20150504_16_29_07_Pro.jpg$WP_20150504_16_29_25_Pro.jpg$WP_20150504_16_30_46_Pro.jpg

Very nice. I love those old Star/Gem/Kampfe lather catchers. more like early 20th century industrial art instead of just a razor.

Good luck with the shaves.

Sharp! Sharp sharp sharp! So easy to hone these it is almost a joke fwiw. Shapton glass 500 to get rid of chips and fizz, japanese 1000 synth to clean up a bit, japanese 6000, coticule on slurry to water, followed by a chunk of light green thuringian from light slurry to water. 35/65 linen/leather. Sharp!

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect lather catcher shock and awe quite frankly as this wedge is many times sharper than anything ASR makes...

Sweet! I have one and love the shave it gives, even with modern GEM blades which can be angled quite adequately by the back clip. I had a nice wooden handle made for mine:

proxy.php

What a great thread......This is so inspiring......:w00t:. I have acquired a few wedge blade SEs and I am seriously contemplating sticking my toe into the water of this honing wedge blades business ......You have made this sound very do-able...... :001_rolle

Where would I go about obtaining the sharpening stones that you are using and what kind of cost is in the system you are demonstrating ?

Billy

For putting your toe in I would suggest a small rectangular polished granite plate and a series of lapping films. You can look in the honing section, there is a huge thread on films.

These are really really easy to hone. They are actually hollow ground. I always figured they were meant to be honed free standing, but I measured the blade height and spine width to calculate the bevel and realized they had the foresight to made the spine thinner than it would be had it been a typical straight of this height so once you put it in the stropping handle it pulls the bevel angle into the acceptable zone. Fortunately, it was so well within the zone, I was able to hone with one layer of .007" tape on the stropping handle to protect it from wear. It takes about an hour to knock minor rust off of one of these and get it back up to speed.

Thank you for your guidance.......:001_rolle

Some of the terminology you are using is new to me.....But, that great, I am really keen to take this up now......I can sense from you that this can be a rewarding skill to learn.......I've got a tendency to jump into things.....Your guidance is very much appreciated ......I am really keen to use these old razors as originally intended......I've managed to replicate the shaving angles of older SE blades with shimming modern SE blades to correct tolerances the best I can with the limitations of a Modern blade and I want to take it a step further for wedge blade razors....

Billy

If you are just curious to try one, pm bayamontate about honing a wedge for you to see how you like it. I will warn you that properly honed blades kind of ruin se and de blades as an experience.

Sweet! I have one and love the shave it gives, even with modern GEM blades which can be angled quite adequately by the back clip. I had a nice wooden handle made for mine:

proxy.php

sorry for the high jack here, who made that handle for you pjgh?

Back on the note at hand, lovely razor. I almost picked one up off the bay but missed it.

sorry for the high jack here, who made that handle for you pjgh?

It was a fellow on TSR who normally turns for pens, but as a favour (well, swap) turned me a handle. I supplied the top, he turned me the handle and I popped a rubber ring on for a little bit of grip.

Just for those curious, lather catchers are the best safety razors.... This is from someone who has owned almost everything at one point or another... Only thing that is on the same level shave-wise are slant de, but those really don't lend themselves to daily use, only coming into their own when they have growth to contend with. I know with most wetshaving gear it is ymmv, but I never recall anyone not being in awe by a lather catcher's shave....

Top Bottom