What's new

Combing your brushes. I do it, do you?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Haven't combed it, but I think it's a good idea.
Occasionally a small number of hairs will bend and hide in the tress with use or rinsing, and using an efficient tool (comb) to stretch them will prevent themfolded and broken further.
It won't take a lot of time, I'll consider doing it.

Reactions: CCS

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
No, I don't. Any time one of my brushes refuses to dry with the hairs perfectly straight I throw it out. Who's got time for recalcitrant shaving brushes?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
As part of my regular maintenance on my brushes, when they're dry, I comb them through with the coarse end of a comb. I'm convinced it helps in their cleanliness and keep the knot in great shape. I would guess most think it's either unnecessary or a little whack but after years of doing it, all my brushes (mostly badger but one boar and one boar/badger mix) have held up quite well and look good. I just lightly comb up from the bottom of the knot to the tips and across. Lightly is key. I comb my hair after washing and drying so it makes sense to me (even if no one else!).
I just reread this whole post and it's possible that it helps, but you've got no proof. Since you comb all your brushes you have no idea what they'd look like if you didn't comb them. I have no idea how it would help with cleanliness, but it would straighten any wayward hairs, making a long haired brush prettier on the shelf. I'm going to assume that the hair on your head is considerably different than a brush, unless you've got a Mohawk.

I suspect part of the problem is too many people with shelves full of great looking uncombed brushes.

We need someone who owns two identical brushes to volunteer to brush one and then report back in a year or two.

I haven’t thought of using a comb regularly. When I wash my brushes approximately once a year, I’ll comb them afterwards. Fascinating idea, thanks for sharing!

I just reread this whole post and it's possible that it helps, but you've got no proof. Since you comb all your brushes you have no idea what they'd look like if you didn't comb them. I have no idea how it would help with cleanliness, but it would straighten any wayward hairs, making a long haired brush prettier on the shelf. I'm going to assume that the hair on your head is considerably different than a brush, unless you've got a Mohawk.

I suspect part of the problem is too many people with shelves full of great looking uncombed brushes.

We need someone who owns two identical brushes to volunteer to brush one and then report back in a year or two.
What the hell does "proof" have to do with anything on B&B? ;) You do know that knots are combed out when brushes are made. I think Simpsons and a couple other makers even suggest the occasional combing of brushes to get rid of loose hairs, etc. And yes, I wear a Mohawk...

Superb pianist, one of favorites!!! I love that photo, too.
At this point he wasn't shaving. ;) I was introduced to Bill Evans by a guy I used to work with in 1980. This guy worshiped Evans and was a great jazz pianist in his own right. Thing is, this guy looked very much like Bill Evans with the same haircut, beard, glasses and wardrobe. When I first saw this photo at my friend's apartment, I thought it was a photo of him! I thought it for years until I saw it published somewhere else. Anyway, while I was mostly a guitarist, I played piano a bit as well. I learned to play a bit better by really diving into Bill Evans' compositions and voicings. I quickly came to realize, he was a genius and the greatest jazz pianist who ever lived. Listening to him as I type this.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Someone should have told my grandpa to comb his brush….

6136A917-FBED-4772-8075-57B28AF4E66C.jpeg

0EA8A468-1050-47FE-B571-602584037110.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use a paint brush comb. Made an adapter so I can use the spinner to spin dry them as well….out of a paint roller.
I thought about that.... but couldn't visualize the adapter. I have a paint brush spinner. They keep paint brushes usable for decades. I don't own a paint roller spinner though. You might be talking about that. I have this one:

Hmmmm. I've never used mine for paint rollers but it looks like it works for both. I had no idea. For latex paint rollers, I just used the hose with a nozzle and spun the paint out that way.... I learned something new today.

If you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo.

@CCS, after I joked around about combing my shaving brushes, I did end up buying a Kent comb.. all coarse spaced teeth. I don't know the long term benefits since I've only been using it for a month or so but I can feel the difference in softness before I lather the soap. I can't feel any difference in the face feel when in actual use but like many others, I decided... why not?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
What the hell does "proof" have to do with anything on B&B? ;) You do know that knots are combed out when brushes are made. I think Simpsons and a couple other makers even suggest the occasional combing of brushes to get rid of loose hairs, etc. And yes, I wear a Mohawk...
I actually combed a few of my brushes this morning! I should have taken before and after pics, but I think they look a tiny bit better. There was no difference in feel for the one I used.

I thought about that.... but couldn't visualize the adapter. I have a paint brush spinner. They keep paint brushes usable for decades. I don't own a paint roller spinner though. You might be talking about that. I have this one:

Hmmmm. I've never used mine for paint rollers but it looks like it works for both. I had no idea. For latex paint rollers, I just used the hose with a nozzle and spun the paint out that way.... I learned something new today.

If you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo.

@CCS, after I joked around about combing my shaving brushes, I did end up buying a Kent comb.. all coarse spaced teeth. I don't know the long term benefits since I've only been using it for a month or so but I can feel the difference in softness before I lather the soap. I can't feel any difference in the face feel when in actual use but like many others, I decided... why not?

I have a longer comb which has half fine teeth and half coarse teeth. I use the coarse side.

Look, my view and response to detractors or those who have made fun of the idea is try it and decide for yourself. It makes perfectly good sense to do it for natural hair/bristle brushes. Dog and cat owners brush/comb the fur of their pets to maintain it. Those of us with hair use a brush and or comb, don't we? I don't use a brush on my shaving brushes, rather a comb similar to this with the coarse side:

proxy.php
Be gentle if it's tight getting through the knot. My denser badger brushes require a gentler touch than my boars. IMO, a benefit of combing boar brushes is you'll help get the tips split sooner. In other words, if you want to break in a boar brush more quickly, comb it through and across the top of the knot (I hold the base of the knot by circling it with my thumb and pointer finger (no, I won't make the obvious joke...). Comb across the top of the knot back and forth. I've found you can do that fairly vigorously on my Omega and Semogue boar brushes.

I don't see any benefit of doing any of this with synthetic brushes.

And to @musicman1951's comment about not improving face feel, as I done this for so many years, I have no idea what the brushes would feel like if I didn't regularly comb them.

At this point he wasn't shaving. ;) I was introduced to Bill Evans by a guy I used to work with in 1980. This guy worshiped Evans and was a great jazz pianist in his own right. Thing is, this guy looked very much like Bill Evans with the same haircut, beard, glasses and wardrobe. When I first saw this photo at my friend's apartment, I thought it was a photo of him! I thought it for years until I saw it published somewhere else. Anyway, while I was mostly a guitarist, I played piano a bit as well. I learned to play a bit better by really diving into Bill Evans' compositions and voicings. I quickly came to realize, he was a genius and the greatest jazz pianist who ever lived. Listening to him as I type this.
Cool stories. I've played piano 60 years & I've always considered him a genius.

• Love
Thank you for this thread @CCS. :001_cool:

I always comb (groom) my new brushes with my stainless steel pet comb prior to their pre-first-shave wash. The teeth have rounded ends, so they don't damage the hair/bristle (or your pet brush :wink2:). EXAMPLE

Here's my Semogue Mistura after a grooming:
Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura + Groomer_2021-03-14.jpg

I don't have a brush combing/grooming timetable. My brushes (like most of my "things") speak to me. It's usually a "hey dad, groom me today please," so of course I comply... they are my pets after all.

Here's my current favorite. It's a lather monster like all of my favorites (which I believe is helped by the occasional careful, but thorough, grooming):
Shavemac-20-46-Silvertip-2-Band-Pu_2022-03-09.jpg

I reread this thread and have to note that I added a few brushes since my original post in August. Save for a Wee Scot, I've bought two synthetics (Muhle Rocca STF and Simpsons T2) and two more boars (Connaught Jade and Semogue SOC Taj).

Top Bottom