What's new

Combing your brushes. I do it, do you?

As part of my regular maintenance on my brushes, when they're dry, I comb them through with the coarse end of a comb. I'm convinced it helps in their cleanliness and keep the knot in great shape. I would guess most think it's either unnecessary or a little whack but after years of doing it, all my brushes (mostly badger but one boar and one boar/badger mix) have held up quite well and look good. I just lightly comb up from the bottom of the knot to the tips and across. Lightly is key. I comb my hair after washing and drying so it makes sense to me (even if no one else!).

I figure that my brushes get a good wash every time I use them and I've certainly never combed them. I do rinse and towel dry them thoroughly after every use though and they've all held up extremely well.

Kinda figured these would be the responses but you might consider it even if it's not part of common lore or in a wiki somewhere. Your brushes might end up in even better shape. I've been doing it probably over 30 years now since someone suggested it to me a long time ago.

20-30 seconds, if that, isn't much time and the results speak for themselves. I'm going to log this under people don't know what they don't know. ;)

I should add that all my brushes are natural hair. Not sure I'd comb a synthetic brush. What would be the point?

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
No I do not, can not see combing doing any harm either. Do what you want to keep the brush great as the day you bought it new.
The new brushes at the factory with natural hair fiber are combed to remove loose hairs that did not take to the knot glue!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nope.
I had a shedder and someone once suggested combing it ... tried it, lost more hairs, didn't help.
My brushes are in fine shape, I can't see what it would accomplish. Seems like more stress to me.

I hang to dry after using in the morning, and when I come home after work, I'll give them a few quick "hand stropping" brush strokes to loosen those hairs that may have dried in close proximity to each other to encourage further blooming, but that's it. Dense brushes like my vintage Fullers and especially the horsehair knot in the bakelite brush/stand combo usually need it to encourage drying time.
A2.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use a brush on my hair.... and I always have a few shedders in there. I think I'll continue to avoid combing or brushing any of my shaving brushes.

But I do like the dental floss idea. Next question? menthol or non scented dental floss? Asking for a friend.

I suppose most of our badger brushes have highlights - bleached tips - so blow-drying and combing seems reasonable enough. I do have a badger shampoo and conditioner set from Ethos. In a way you could say my Semogue Mistura brush has hair extensions. I never braided a badger brush so far, but if you want more backbone I guess you could try it. I’m gonna try at least giving one of my brushes a nice side parting to see how that looks.

Top Bottom