What's new

Combe has NOT changed Williams Mug Soap! (Case No. 490334)

Do you think Combe changed the Williams Mug Soap formula?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Every once in a while I try to make modern Williams work like vintage Williams for nostalgic reasons. In the past week I grated a puck with a cheese grater and the first shave was a return to its former glory. In subsequent shaves the grated puck hardened and it was back to the Same Old Stuff (SOS). I'm a cold water shaver, so my experiments require the use of unheated tap water.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I contacted Combe and referenced the B&B Wiki list of ingredients of all incarnations so they couldn't try to tell me that they didn't tamper with the product:

Look at the "Ingredients Timeline" http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Williams.
I have tried the pre-Combe Williams Mug Soap and it lathers easily. The current formulation is much harder to lather and does not perform as well. I'd become a permanent Williams customer if you changed back to the earlier formulations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I got the SOR (Same Old Response):

Dear Mr. Ayers:
Thank you for your email to Combe Incorporated. We sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to your request.

With regards to Mug Soap we have not changed nor altered the formula of this product.
We appreciate your continued interest in Williams Mug Soap®. We hope others will be influenced by your enthusiasm for the product.

Again, we apologize for the delay and want to thank you for taking the time to contact us and appreciate your patience.
Sincerely,

Tamara
Tamara
Consumer Resources Consultant
Case #490334
Do not reply to this email. If you wish to reply, Please Click Here http://www.combe.com/reply.php?caseno=490334.

I was thinking, would it be neat if all Badger and Blade members who disagree that Combe hasn't tempered (wrecked) vintage Williams Mug Soap replied in reference to this case number http://www.combe.com/reply.php?caseno=490334?

Combe may not have changed their soap by themselves but if they didn't then their supplier of soap pellets did it for them. Assuming they aren't lying this must be what happened. Modern Williams is a great hand soap but for shaving it is barely passable.

What else are they going to say, and how would anyone ever prove that they have or haven't changed it?

As for the last sentence in the OP, shouldn't it say modern Williams and not vintage Williams?

Last edited:
Every once in a while I try to make modern Williams work like vintage Williams for nostalgic reasons. In the past week I grated a puck with a cheese grater and the first shave was a return to its former glory. In subsequent shaves the grated puck hardened and it was back to the Same Old Stuff (SOS). I'm a cold water shaver, so my experiments require the use of unheated tap water.
I contacted Combe and referenced the B&B Wiki list of ingredients of all incarnations so they couldn't try to tell me that they didn't tamper with the product:
Look at the "Ingredients Timeline" http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Williams.
I have tried the pre-Combe Williams Mug Soap and it lathers easily. The current formulation is much harder to lather and does not perform as well. I'd become a permanent Williams customer if you changed back to the earlier formulations.

Hi John,
I agree I just bought 2 pucks and was surprised at how bad Williams has become.​

With regards to Mug Soap we have not changed nor altered the formula of this product.
We appreciate your continued interest in Williams Mug Soap®. We hope others will be influenced by your enthusiasm for the product.

Obviously Tamara is delusional and most likely didn't even look at the ingredients timeline.
I was thinking, would it be neat if all Badger and Blade members who disagree that Combe hasn't tempered (wrecked) vintage Williams Mug Soap replied in reference to this case number http://www.combe.com/reply.php?caseno=490334?

I just replied as you suggested:

I would like to encourage you to consider restoring the formula of your William's Shaving Soap Puck. You do realize that many wet shaving enthusiasts pay a premium for a dwindling supply of vintage William's on the internet.

I'm replying to you on behalf of John Ayers. I also have used Williams shaving pucks from old vintage to two purchased just last week.
The vintage Puck was a Dream.

A puck I used from about two years ago was difficult to lather and was consistantly dry, but with enough water and and about 8 drops of Glycerin when lathering made a good lather with great scent.

The Puck I just purchased was almost scentless, it lathered ok, but the lather fades to almost non-existant before a single pass shaving my face (regardless off adding glycerin or adjusting the lather. Way too much work when I can use another manufacturers product.

I am sorry to say that at this point I will most likely not be purchasing it again.

However, If it were restored to it's former glory I could learn to love it again. Unless, of course, you are intentionally trying to end popularity of this product. In which case you are right on track!

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Jim Webb
(I added my personal email)

Petitioning Combe to bring back vintage Williams is pretty close to tilting at windmills.

I agree with you. I have a few classic ads from about 1899-1932 and get that "nostalgic" feeling. There are so many sensational soaps available to us now that we're not deprived. This morning I pulled out an old shave stick I hadn't used for a long time and it lathered like the dickens.

I did get another email this afternoon from Combe:

Dear Mr. Ayers:
Thank you for contacting us regarding Williams Mug Soap. We welcome all comments about our products.
I have consulted with my supervisor and you are correct Mr. Ayers. I apologize for the mishap.

We did make a minor change( and I mean a minor change) to the formula about 3 years ago, as one of the ingredients was no longer available to us. As far as re-introducing the classic formula, we cannot do that for the reason listed above.
Thank you for contacting us.
Sincerely,

Tamara
Tamara
Consumer Resources Consultant
Case #490334
Do not reply to this email. If you wish to reply,
http://www.combe.com/reply.php?caseno=490334

I too have no trouble with Williams, it works fine and for me is better than some highly touted (around here) glycerin based artisan soaps. <--YMMV of course. Never tried the vintage, but I do use a vintage knock off and it is superb.

In recent years, Walgreens, Walmart, Kroger, Meijer, and a number of other chain stores that used to carry Williams have dropped it. This has to have an impact on Combe's bottom line. Combe basically has two choices: improve the formula, or stop making it.

I really like the new Williams and for me they don't have to change it back. But the stuff has changed for sure; it doesn't come close to my 1969-puck of Williams.

Then again, I doubt any currently made soap does. That old soap rocks but also makes me wonder how good my current pucks will be a couple of decades from now.....:lol:

I have no problem with modern Williams. It is cheaper than silica gel and does a better job of eliminating moisture.

In recent years, Walgreens, Walmart, Kroger, Meijer, and a number of other chain stores that used to carry Williams have dropped it. This has to have an impact on Combe's bottom line. Combe basically has two choices: improve the formula, or stop making it.

$1903ShaveAV.jpg
1903 Ad​

I'd like to see this old boy's facial expression after lathering with today's Williams.

The monster of all shave soaps. Tried badger; tried boar; tried bowl lathering; tried face lathering; tried hot water; tried warm water; tried cold water; tried distilled water at all temps; tried a few drops of olive oil; tried a few drops of glycerin; I'm certain beads of sweat and a couple of tears ended up in the shave bowl trying to make a lather. Nothing! Just bubbles. Pity, as I really liked the fresh, clean scent. 3 pucks were demoted to shower duty a few years ago. Hats off to all that have slayed this beast.

The irony of this ad is stunning, given today's inferior product:
It really bothers me to see a great product compromised. Wish I was wet shaving when it was great.
$FixmoScreenshot1345849503069.jpg

I have several boxed pucks of Williams that have been in a box on the shelf for a couple of years. Just 5 drops of room temp distilled water on a dry puck & 100 revs loading a brush & I can build a thick, dense, cushiony lather with a fine merangue-like consistency. I put about 1/2 tsp water into the bowl & swirl, adding a few drops of water until the lather is ready.

Maybe the new Williams just needs to be aged before use??

Based on my successful experience, if you can't lather Williams to get a great shave, you either need to be adding more water, or hanging up your brush & switching to a can of Barbasol.

I have several boxed pucks of Williams that have been in a box on the shelf for a couple of years. Just 5 drops of room temp distilled water on a dry puck & 100 revs loading a brush & I can build a thick, dense, cushiony lather with a fine merangue-like consistency. I put about 1/2 tsp water into the bowl & swirl, adding a few drops of water until the lather is ready.

Maybe the new Williams just needs to be aged before use??

Based on my successful experience, if you can't lather Williams to get a great shave, you either need to be adding more water, or hanging up your brush & switching to a can of Barbasol.

It might work for you but I'm old enough to remember the old Williams and can attest that the new stuff is NOTHING like the old stuff. The change was much more than three years ago.

For my part i’m A user of both vintage and modern and I have to agreed that the vintage formula is easier to lather! The modern version is different but for me in a good way I did get a great lather from it whit no trouble at all and to be honest I get better slickness whit the modern one vs the vintage.

Top Bottom