What's new

[EXPERIMENT] Seeking Testers for the New Formulation of Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap

Alright, so I had 4 shaves in a row with the new formulation of the MWF.

My conclusion is that it's a good soap. It gave me good shaves every time and didn't leave me wanting more... until I tried artisan soap the next day and I felt the difference right away, in the post-shave and residual slickness.

With the artisan soap, the lather felt dense and creamy while the MWF didn't feel as dense. Even with the Tallow MWF, I'm not sure if this findings will change.

That said, I think the new MWF formulation is good for my liking. It provides a variety in the soap market, I love the neutral scent on it, and I get good shaves out of it. Compared to Tallow version, it feels slightly different but it still has the DNAs of the MWF that many enjoy (or hate).

What I'm interested is the consistency of the new formula. If all the batches are consistent, I'd be happier with this formula than an inconsistent tallow formula. I know there's some mixed opinions on this but I've had a batch that I could not lather over 2 weeks whereas another batch, I was able to lather up from the get go.

Thanks all for testing and sharing your thoughts.

I have been using the new formula for a good 15 days now, and have to admit - I love it. They've done a fine job at this.

With regards to slickness, "cushion" or residual slickness, to me these don't mean much beyond a point of my usable thresholds. The original may have less "Residual slickness" but it is quite good for me in the shave department without any compromises.

So how are everyones shaves going with the NEW formula ???? That is still being discussed here right ??
My point above that we seem to be going off the very interesting topic of THIS thread. Please keep ìt about comparisons between old and new! No malice intended,

this thread was a great idea...I've been wondering myself. I hated the original formula. The lather formed, but melted almost immediately. I was wondering if the new formulation is any better (for those of us who didn't like the original).

Alas. 11 pages in and I've only seen one review. That said it was "as good." Oh well. Again, OP, good idea. Didn't work out so well. I'll have to buy a puck and try it myself.
There have been quite a few of the individuals post their views of the old Vs new formula in this thread..... I also posted my initial thoughts earlier today / yesterday now.....

My point above that we seem to be going off the very interesting topic of THIS thread. Please keep it about comparisons between old and new! No malice intended,
I also posted a shave with it yesterday.
Are you going to buy a puck and join in the testing? I seem to remember you saying your next soap purchase would be a vegan MWF puck.

I'm almost waiting with bated breath for some mod to get tired of your antics and give you the 'self-appointed MWF Moderator' custom title you apparently crave. :p

I'm still surprised that the new formula Fat is as good as it is. The ingredient list wasn't promising. On the other hand, it is a similar list to the Trufitt & Hill soaps, and they aren't half bad either.

As long as I avoid using a straight razor with it, it's fairly easy to convince myself the formula hasn't really changed much at all.

I also posted a shave with it yesterday.
Are you going to buy a puck and join in the testing? I seem to remember you saying your next soap purchase would be a vegan MWF puck.

I'm almost waiting with bated breath for some mod to get tired of your antics and give you the 'self-appointed MWF Moderator' custom title you apparently crave. :p

I'm still surprised that the new formula Fat is as good as it is. The ingredient list wasn't promising. On the other hand, it is a similar list to the Trufitt & Hill soaps, and they aren't half bad either.

As long as I avoid using a straight razor with it, it's fairly easy to convince myself the formula hasn't really changed much at all.
Yes, I will but need to use up some soaps first.
My anyics? I only say that i hope this thread sticks to a comparison test as much has been discussed elsewhere . No malice intended.

My next comparison shave between the old tallow with the new palm oil will happen tomorrow. Left side - tallow and right side - palm oil. Will use 2 identical boar brushes so there is no residue if I was using the same brush. I'll be using my Wolfman Wr2 2.00OC/1.80SB. I'll skip the PAA Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap as to not add to the slickness that either one might lack.

I compared them both side by side one day and the next. I was greatly surprised by the new formula. If you have to change this is an example of how to do it. At the time at lot of commenters laughed or said it’s a sad day when one day in the future people will say how wonderful the new tabac is or some such, but I found it to be just as good as the old.

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom