What's new

Cold water shaves

let me just throw the proverbial spanner in the works here .i my self have been a cold water shaver since i started shaving many many years ago . now in my time i have found that some soaps like a cold water shave and some just give me a bad shave .
and i put it down to what the soap was made for like proraso if you read up on it it clearly says use warm water . where as the soap i find a great soap at the moment mitchells wool fat i find lathers better and shaves better with cold water. also add into the mix the multitude of blades and the way they all shave i find a good blade like persona gives me a great shave yet a over sharp feather well lets just say it wasnt great .

so in summing up do what makes you comfy as there will be others that dont agree .

Yesterday was very hot so I used a mentjolated product for every software. Along with that, I used cold water. I am usually a warm water shaver. I had a fantastic shave. Closest head shave with no nics or irritation.

Anybody STRICTLY shave with cold water? I may be converted.

Pic of what I used because we like pix
proxy.php

Fayiz D.
I have been shaving with cold water since around 1970, I tried hot and warm water and always come back to cold water and for good reason it works much better for me with a de cartridge or straight. Ben Franklin put it perfectly, stiff hair cuts clean and easy from my personal experience he was right.

I am turning 60 in a couple of months and I have used hot water when shaving for about 45 years. That’s a long time to build a routine and develop a preference. I am considering giving room temperature water shaving a trial. It won’t be right away as I am lined up for Shark Week and a Polsilver participation Pif. I don’t want a change in routine to mess up my testing of those never before used blades. I do have a shiny new and as yet unused Captain’s Choice lather bowl that should work just dandy for room temperature shaves.
I think you will enjoy cold water shaving if you give your face time to get used to it, good luck

I was intrigued by the claims that cold water shaving left your whiskers stiff and easier to cut and that hot water shaves caused the hairs to bend and cut longwise along the hair so this morning I decided to break out my Captain's Choice lather bowl and give myself a cold water shave. That bowl is an amazing lather making machine. I should have tried it earlier. Anyhow I used cold water from the tap and it was fairly cold as the temp this morning was 64 degrees. I shaved just as I normally would and my razor didn't cut any better than it did when hot. The shave was no closer and it didn't reduce the passes and blade buffing that I do with hot water. In fact I had to do more buffing and passes. The shave was not as comfortable and I can still feel irritation when normally I do not. I am not saying that cold water shaves are not better for some people but not for me. As most with most things shaving related this is a YMMV thing. If you prefer cold, do that, if you prefer hot do that. Whatever works best for you.
Amen

I kind of do a hybrid. I turn the shower as hot as it will go so it gets steamy. I have to turn it down to wet my hair and face and body. Then back to full steam. Shampoo for the hair, and as a preshave for the face, then soap up. It's almost sauna hot by the time I'm done. I rinse my hair with warm water because otherwise the conditioner doesn't soak in. Then I turn it as cold as it will go and rinse my face and body. It's not quite as good as a proper sauna with a jump in the lake or a roll in the snow, but it's the best I can do for now.

I make my lather with warm water but all rinses are cold. My skin has never been happier.

YMMV.

For me soaking is the most important. I need a proper shower before shaving or I will experience some tugging. After the shower whatever the lather I shave with is warm or cold does not make a big difference.

Top Bottom