What's new

Cold vs Hot again

I've been shaving using cold water to rinse my razor and my face after the shave is done. I've not had any irritation and have enjoyed DFS and BBS shaves when not experimenting with different razors and blades.

Over the last couple of days I realized that I was getting razor burn on my neck again and I remembered this morning that I had used hot water to rinse my razor between passes. The water from my tap is HOT and I think that was the cause of most razor burn all along!

Anyway, back to cool/cold water for me and I nice irritation free shave this morning even though I had some lather issues. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lukewarm for me all the way through until the final rinse, when I use cold water.

Experimented this evening with a number of variables I hadn't tried before, namely the Gillette #77 w/ Astra SP, balance point method of holding the razor and cold water rinsing in between. Its only been my first couple of months with DE wetshaving and have gotten decidedly mixed results, irritation around the neck area being the main culprit.

Despite all the changes (and my relative inexperience), I was able to get a very decent shave, DFS and only a single tiny nick with no irritation whatsoever. Definitely a rarity. I'll be experimenting with the cold water with a few other combinations and hopefully the results will stay positive :thumbup1:

I started using cold water a couple weeks ago and I seriously doubt I will ever go back to hot again. I really enjoy the feel of the cold lather, razor and cold water rinse followed by witch hazel.

Based on these cold water threads, I did a couple of cold water shaves. It was a worthwhile effort, but I'm further convinced to do hot water shaves from here on out.

TEHO

-- John Gehman

I have been using cool water shaving but with warm lather - and my shaves have been excellent. Plus, it is taking much less time since I do not need a hot towel prep.

I go back and forth between hot and cold shaves. It all depends on my mood.

Either way when I am done, the last "rinse" is ALWAYS done with ice..........

I find especially soothing after a warm/hot shave. It is refreshing and helps tighten the skin.

Then on goes the witch hazel

Personally, I don't like the feeling of cold steel any time so i use relatively warm water, but not hot. I have learned this the hard way because I've scalded myself on more than one occasion.

It was a carry over from Mach 3s which had a poor heat capacity and would cool quite quickly, where as the metal head on my Merkur HD takes a bit of time to cool down.

I will try a cold water shave in the morning. I have learned that I enjoy luke-warm a lot better than warm-hot shaves. Cold water seems like it could be a hit with me, I just wonder if my Proraso will be too intense with cold water!

Top Bottom