What's new

Cod Recipes

Mrs. Nid Hog brought home a couple of pounds of fresh cod from the store. We ate cod a lot when I was a kid, but none of the recipes were particularly memorable. Anybody have a favorite cod recipe that they'd like to recommend?

This is what the Portuguese do: cut cod and potatoes into same size chunks. Place in casserole dish. Add some bacon, black olives, crushed hard boiled eggs and onion slices. Drizzle with olive oil. Cover lightly with foil. Bake at 375 until golden brown.

This is what the Portuguese do: cut cod and potatoes into same size chunks. Place in casserole dish. Add some bacon, black olives, crushed hard boiled eggs and onion slices. Drizzle with olive oil. Cover lightly with foil. Bake at 375 until golden brown.

That sounds good:w00t:

Cut chunks of potato 1/4's, Boil til almost tender, drain so that there is about 1/2" water left, lay large Cod chunks on potatoes, cover and steam for 10 minutes. Open, plate, salt pepper and butter to taste.

Picked or Harvard Beets go well as a side.....(Simple Yankee cooking Paul...:001_tt2:)

Super easy, really tasty cod that my mom makes: cover with butter and season with Lawrys Seasoned Salt. Cook as directed.

Short and sweet.

We did the Alton Brown fish and chips tonight...twice fried fries, beer batter cod and all is right with the world.

Do yourself a favour and buy a Portuguese cuisine book. You'll have plenty of choice there.
As we Portuguese say: there's a thousand and one ways of cooking codfish!

Fish stew. There's like ten different countries that do it. They're all good. My father and I both make an excellent Cod only Cioppino (mom's deathly allergic to shellfish).

Chicken stock (can use any stock you want: clam, fish, lobster, shellfish, etc, we use chicken)

Canned plum tomatoes ~1/2" to 1" dice, or sliced into 1/4" rings.
Onions
Garlic
Bell Peppers
Bay Leaves
Anchovies (or paste)
Red or white wine, I prefer white, but keep it dry.
A splash of acid, this can be lemon/lime juice, redwine vinegar, sherry vinegar, etc. We usually do Lemon + a touch of sherry vin.
Worchestershire
Salt (may not be required depending on stock and anchovies)
Pepper
Red pepper flake (This is what really makes it pop)
Fresh or Dry rosemary stalks (or needles, in a sachet)

Optional if you like them, I usually leave them out:
Oregano (dry leaves)
Fennel (seed)
Celery

And of course any additional fish/shellfish you want.

Keep the cod in nice sized chunks 1"+ We usually do 2-3" so you can break them up with your spoon while you're eating.

Last edited:
Quite simply...lay the cod in a baking dish, dot with butter, garlic salt and Old Bay and stick em in the oven. Easy and pleasy.

I'd just do salt pepper and butter personally. Maybe served with a Hollandaise if you need more flaver. (Personally the cod is flavorful enough for me).

When I worked at the old folks home we braised cod loin with red onion, garlic, olives, capers, tomatoes and mandarin oranges. It has a famous name, but for the life of me I can't recall it at the moment. I found it a little busy (would prefer it without the oranges, maybe add a splash of orange juice instead).

Last edited:
Quite simply...lay the cod in a baking dish, dot with butter, garlic salt and Old Bay and stick em in the oven. Easy and pleasy.

I add some shredded Parm or Asiago to the butter/garlic mix and bake. Although I must admit that the potato, bacon, hard boiled eggs recipe sounds like a real winner.

I make a salad with crude cod that tends to come off in pieces once de-salted, you don't even need a knife to separate fish muscles, just with hands.

Slice tomatoes and onions, some lettuce leafs and lay shredded fish on it.

Then pour a mix of lemon juice, olive oil and tabasco (or Portuguese Piri-piri) on fish.

I forgot the name of this plate in Portuguese, it looks like a cod carpaccio...

Man...did you say cod?!?!!:thumbup: We, Portuguese, are the world champs of all cod eaters.

My grand'ma recipe can't be beaten: in a large pan put, in this order, olive oil (please respect centuries of growing olive trees here and other wars about this nectar and buy an exquisite one, like a portuguese Moura D.O.C or a Villa Flor), sliced onions, sliced garlic, sliced potatos and cod.Do several layers until the top of the pan and end with onions and garlic.It goes to the oven 45 mn and it's done!!:thumbup:

About portuguese olive oils

http://www.casadoazeite.pt

and

http://www.oliveoil.pt

Top Bottom