What's new

Cocoa butter vs Shea butter ?

In my greenhorn understanding, they're both great moisturizers. Cocoa butter seems to have a better fragrance where Shea butter can appear unscented or even a little "stinky" to some.

I believe Shea butter is recommended to those who have acne or skin disorders over cocoa. Shea has more essential vitamins whereas cocoa butter may clog pores or exacerbate acne prone skin. Cocoa butter has been know to help heal scars and blemishes but there aren't too many studies backing it.

I prefer cocoa butter myself.

Either are great. It really depends on the type of skin you have. I have read so many things over the years that say Shea is far superior to Cocoa, but I have not really read anything that backs that up. I say whatever works the best for you. Personally I think the Shea is a little more moisturizing, but that may not be a factor if you do not suffer from dry skin.

I use unrefined shea butter as a night time moisturizer for my face every day. Not a fan of the scent, but there are artisans that provided scented versions which is pretty nice. I have heard of others use it as an aftershave balm as well. I am very acne prone and do not break out at all from USB.

I have a strong preference for the Shea butter. I make a number of creams using it—some are pre-shave, others post-shave. I use it daily. One significant advantage Shea has over Cocoa butter is the very low comedogenic (acne-causing) rating.
I apply a variety of essential oils to mask the 'earthy' aroma the butter naturally has.

$shea_2_zps7e385bcb.jpg

+1 for natural Shea Butter. I'm a hand drummer (djembe) and it can be brutal on your hands, particularly in the cold and dry months. I apply a little shea butter before drumming and another application before bed...hands are soft and smooth, no cracking, splits, or other nasties like I used to get. The scent is, as Kev described, "earthy" but it's not offensive. It's oil from an African nut, so it sort of smells like a funky nut butter. It dissipates quickly. I've used cocoa butter before, and although it smells nicer, it seemed greasier and not as effective.

As far as using it as an aftershave product, my facial skin is pretty greasy already, so I just used an alcohol-based aftershave splash.

Last edited:
I melt them and mix them, add vitamin e oil and a some lavender oil. Great after shave and it really softens the skin around my fingernails when I rub in the left over on my hands.

How do you melt them? The vitamin E oil from soft capsule supplements? What ratio do you use? How do you store it? Can it spoil?

One significant advantage Shea has over Cocoa butter is the very low comedogenic (acne-causing) rating.

Yes, that's very true.

Cocoa butter is more likely to clog your pores than Shea butter.

I have to be careful about products with too much cocoa butter (Strop Shoppe special edition soap being one of the few I can use) but my sensitive skin really likes Shea butter.

Nick

How do you melt them? The vitamin E oil from soft capsule supplements? What ratio do you use? How do you store it? Can it spoil?

As Yogi Berra might say I use 50% cocoa butter and 50% shae butter and 5% other. Here I get cocoa butter in 1 oz plastic bottles like 35 mm film used to come in. I put the butters in one of these small bottles in a pan of hot water to melt. When it is liquid I add liquid vitamin e oil and fragrance.I imagine you could open a vitamin e capsule to use. I put it in the freezer to cool shaking it every couple of minutes as it will separate when liquid. Not trying to get it cold just firm enough to not separate. One oz last a long time as you only meld a pea size in your hand and rub to melt then rub into your face. It is not oily. Rub you hands to use the leftover . You can make more and refrigerate, it does not go rancid for some time.
These butters melt at body temp in you hand.

Top Bottom