What's new

Clubman Bay Rum almost finished. What next?

Hey everyone,

So about a year or so ago, I bought some Virgin Island Bay Rum to use as an aftershave. I absolutely love the scent and the burn when I splash it on.

This was my first aftershave. Kind of. I had some Acqua Di Gio back before I used aftershave (which smelled amazing) but I did not really know what to do with it. Tried to use it as a cologne for a while, didn't work so well and so I sold it.

So yeah my AS experience is very limited. I really want to buy another VIBR, but the smell reminds me of Christmas and I kind of want to start using it again when it gets cold and feels like the holidays. Weird, I know, but for now I would like to use something else while I wait.

I remember smelling Florida Water and did not like that. I liked the Pinaud Clubman and thought it reminded me of Brut for some reason. So maybe I'll try that if I can't figure something else out. I smelled Aqua Velva which was ok. Is there anything else I should try that isn't very expensive?

Also I think my skin is dry. I generally shave, throw on some AS and then use some lotion on my face to moisturize it. I've been using Jergens Shea Butter body lotion for the past maybe 5+ years and it has been ok but recently I've felt like I should use a better moisturizing lotion made specifically for the face. So I've got some Kiehl's samplers that I quite like, and may end up buying that. But I digress.

My question is, are AS splashes supposed to be moisturizing in any way? I have a feeling the answer is no, especially since the ones I like, with a sting, all use alcohol which probably dry up the skin.

So should I not be using an alcohol based AS? Or is it ok to do so and then just moisturize?

Are any AS splashes moisturizing?

Sorry for jumping around all over the place with the questions. My thoughts are running wild haha.

Thanks!

Definitely get some Aqua Velva. Makes my face feel better than almost anything. It has glycerin in it, so it's more moisturizing than a plain alcohol splash. I also love Skin Bracer.

I also just got a bottle of Clubman special reserve, and I can't get enough of the scent.

You can buy a bottle of glycerin at any drugstore and add a few drops to your alcohol based splashes to add some moisturizer.

Whether you use a moisturizing AS or not you might consider using a moisturizing lotion before you go to sleep. Tough to beat the quality and the price of Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion (2-pack, I think 40 oz. from Costco is about $14). Not much of a fragrance, but sometimes I add 6-8 drops of essential oil to the full pump bottle and thoroughly stir it up (which you can find on ebay for a fraction of what they cost in a store).

I will recommend - Old Spice Classic, Skin Bracer, Tabac, Special Edition Floid, and Floid Amber. That pretty much sums up my regular rotation. I also use Clubman but find it to be drying. This is not necessarily a bad thing because sometimes when my skin gets oily the drying is actually quite helpful. I also usually only use Clubman if I have a shave with little to no irritation because of the alcohol burn. I find this out when I use my alum block, which I also recommend. And when I really have a terrible shave (hey it happens from time to time) I bail myself out with Nivea balm. Hope this was helpful.

Thanks for the recommendations so far everyone!

You can buy a bottle of glycerin at any drugstore and add a few drops to your alcohol based splashes to add some moisturizer.

Interesting. All glycerin does is moisturize? Does it change anything else about the AS once added? How come alcohol based AS splashes don't already have this in there? In case people prefer a drying effect?

Whether you use a moisturizing AS or not you might consider using a moisturizing lotion before you go to sleep. Tough to beat the quality and the price of Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion (2-pack, I think 40 oz. from Costco is about $14). Not much of a fragrance, but sometimes I add 6-8 drops of essential oil to the full pump bottle and thoroughly stir it up (which you can find on ebay for a fraction of what they cost in a store).

I do exactly this actually. I shower and shave at night, then AS and then my lotion. Thanks for your recommendation on the moisturizer. I looked it up and it seems to have really good reviews! But I would really like to use something made specifically for the face. A few people commented on this lotion saying that it left a thin film on their face and was a bit heavy. Is this true? I've been using some samplers of Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream and Facial Fuel and they are great! Just ridiculously expensive.

I will recommend - Old Spice Classic, Skin Bracer, Tabac, Special Edition Floid, and Floid Amber. That pretty much sums up my regular rotation. I also use Clubman but find it to be drying. This is not necessarily a bad thing because sometimes when my skin gets oily the drying is actually quite helpful. I also usually only use Clubman if I have a shave with little to no irritation because of the alcohol burn. I find this out when I use my alum block, which I also recommend. And when I really have a terrible shave (hey it happens from time to time) I bail myself out with Nivea balm. Hope this was helpful.

Old Spice is nice, my dad used to use it a lot. I didn't like Tabac at all though. I'll see if I can sample the other ones you mentioned. Thanks! Also, I always look forward to the burn of my aftershave haha. The worse the shave, the better the burn! :biggrin1: Not that I try and shave badly on purpose.

Dominica Bay Rum with Lime is an AWESOME summer bay rum. Gives of a Rum & Coke with lime vibe that you'd have on vacation, so reminds me of being on vacation on a tropical beach :thumbup:. IMHO, the Original Dominica Bay Rum isn't quite as nice for summer, but still a good BR.

Keep in mind you won't get very good longevity out of most traditional bay rums. As for moisturizing, I have added some glycerin to my Dominica with pretty good results, but as I have dry skin I always finish up with some kind of balm, even in the summer. I gave up on using only a splash, deciding I needed the extra moisturizing.

If you like natural products Dominica is good, I think there is like, three ingredients on it. Alcohol, water, and fragrance.

Ogalalla smells good too, I shouldn't just say good, more like HEAVENLY. I got the limes and peppercorns one, much stronger and clovier that Dominica. So you might still get that "fresh baked christmas cookies" vibe from it, or whatever. But holy smokes, that stuff BURNS!!!:scared::bayrum2: I think my skin reacts badly to heavy clove BR's, got all red on the face, lips and chin went numb, and burnt for a solid 60 seconds before subsiding at all. I've never had a burn like that from ANYTHING. But since you have used VIBR, which I believe is heavy on cloves, you should be good. Plus the Ogalalla's have Witch Hazel, so if you already use that as part of your post shave, you can skip a step!

Thanks for the suggestions Frankthetank I'll see if I can find them somewhere to smell! I do like a good burn, so that may be something to try!

Also, I have a question about the Proraso aftershave. After using my Bigelow shaving cream a couple of times, I've come to really love the scent. Does the Proraso aftershave smell anything like that at all?

So in reply to my own question on whether Proraso aftershave smells like the Bigelow cream, the answer is no.

It smells nice though. Kind of mild. I'm yet to actually use it as an aftershave, which I shall do tonight.

Krampert's is the most moisturizing bay rum splash I know.
I love Captain's Choice, too, which also has some moisture in it. Probably prefer the Captain's scent for "daily".

Krampert's "Frostbite" is amazing and moisturizing.... and heavy on the menthol, and pricey. It's been my favorite thing for summer. This is not at all a bay rum (menthol, frankincense "flavor").

Last edited:
Unfortunately it ends up that I won't be trying the Proraso AS after all. The day after I bought the Proraso, I bought some Pinaud Clubman from someone among other things. So I returned the Proraso.

But I've wanted the Clubman for a while! It does remind me a bit of Brut actually, but better! I can't get enough of the Clubman scent! Also I think it burns more than the Clubman Bay Rum.

Top Bottom