What's new

Close Shaves

Hello gents.
I am curious, what shave gear combo reliably gives you your closest shaves? What are your go to items when you want a great BBS result? All responses much welcomed!!!

For me personally, the combinations that really work for me are:

Merkur 34C + Feather. Unfortunately, Feather blades give me only 3 good shaves. Alternatively I use Gillette London Bridge blades. I get 6 good shaves with each blade.

Merkur Progress + Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blades.

Other combinations work well. But for closeness and comfort, these work really well.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

It is interesting how razor work so differently.

In my case it is

Giesen & Forsthoff OC with a Astra SP blade

Or

Tatara Masamune OC with a Shark SS blade

However, of significant importance is the lather... I mostly achieve a BBS shave with cella, Tobs or Extró

Hello gents.
I am curious, what shave gear combo reliably gives you your closest shaves? What are your go to items when you want a great BBS result? All responses much welcomed!!!
In terms of closeness / BBS, I can obtain it with any of the following:

DE: Muhle R41 with Feather blades
SR: Feather Artist Club SS non-folding with Feather Pro Super Blades
SE: Hawk v3-SB with Feather Pro / Pro Super Blades

Of the three, my clear favorite razor is the Hawk, as it is by far the smoothest, while equally effective. With R41 and AC I need to be careful, with Hawk I don't.

The only thing that I get a true BBS with in all locations is the Blackland Vector with Feather AC blades. There’s something about that slim little head. It gets in everywhere.

Being a minimalist--at this time--I stick with my basic(s):

Razor: WCS 84S
Cream: Proraso Green tube
Brush: Gray Dog
Blade: What tuck I am using
A / S : Pinaud Clubman f/b Alum

I can get BBS from any of my razors (that’s why they’re in my rotation) but the easiest shaves come from my Schick E2 with a Chick or my Lord L5 with a Lord Plat. Effortless

I can get a BBS shave with several of my razors but the most enjoyable and effortless is with the Blackbird. As for blades it works with a wide variety but some of my favourites are Feather, BIC Chrome Platinum and Gillette Platinum.

For DE: US Gillette Aristocrat 1948-50 with a Feather
For SE: RR Hawk v3a with Schick Proline
For brush: Omega jade boar
For cream and AS: Proraso green

I have one setup and rarely change anything other than the brush.

Rockwell 6S using plate 4 for pass 1 & 2 and plate 2 for the final ATG pass.
Feather Hi-Stainless
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Proraso White Preshave
Either my EJ Super Badger or RazoRock 400 with the Plissoft knot.

For me, the closest is from a Feather Artist Club SS with a brand new Professional blade. That first shave is a notch above everything else. I have to pay attention. But three careful passes and it's pretty damn good. I finished exactly that, just an hour ago.

As of yet, I've found 3 combination that gives me lasting BBS without irritation :

> Parker Variant Adjustable at lower settings with Parker Platinum blades
> Parker Variant Adjustable at higher settings with Gillette 7 O'clock Black
> CS-11 (R 41 rip off) with Supermax Platinum Plus

Wickham and Trigodon soaps works nicely in the lather department.

For me:
Razor. Rockwell 6S with plates 4,5 & 6
Blades Personna Red, Wizamet/Polsilver, Bic Chrome
Platinum
Soap. Wickham Soap Co 1912

I have had comfortable BBS shaves with other razors but I have more confidence in the Rockwell 6S. Probably because I have more experience with this razor. The blade I choose makes a big difference. The blades that I have listed are all smooth and comfortable on my face. The soap is probably less important. I use Wickham most often so I have worked out how to get a good lather from it. This is all YMMV.

Leresche 51, Treet Platinum or Gillette yellow, 2 pass xtg and atg. Can do it daily with no irritation. Get DFS+ to BBS. First combo I’ve found that does this for me, which is exciting because not I can dive into all the software I have without worrying about hardware for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best setup for a BBS shave is:
Razor: Muhle R89
Blades: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Wilkinson Sword
Soap: Proraso Green (also used as the pre-shave)
and finally the most important part: Taking my time and focusing on having a good shave. Even with good equipment I’ve got rubbish results, in the past, because I rushed it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hello gents.
The Sunday razor from my English matching seven-day sets of SR's, but only just. All my SR's give me about the same result, without any skin damage or irritation.

Of course others may prefer cuts and irritation when going for BBS with their "safety" razors.

I can get a BBS from anything in my collection, but the easiest, fastest BBS I get from a modern cartridge razor. The soap, brush etc. don't really play much of a role here; all of them do the job.

Top Bottom