What's new

Clog Pruf PIF from...Mom? (pics)

Hey All,

As the title says I got a GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf from my mom!

She has a stall in an antique shop in Shelton, CT and had this Clog Pruf from a close family friend sitting in her display case. When I told her about my new-found shaving Nirvana she brought it down on her last visit.

I should've done before too, cuz this thing was NASTY!

Without further ado.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I like this last one because it looks like it's "hanging from the ceiling".
proxy.php

I cleaned this up with the ultrasonic and some MAAS.

Good shaves to you,
Dave

P

Pjotr

Just had my third shave with one this morning. You can guess the rest. The same boring old fantastically close shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
awww, I was so excited when I read the title, I thought you were giving it away! :w00t: I was scooting my butt in my chair all excited. :blush:

Oh well, Im glad you got that razor! Im a newbie to the SE world, and I am currently loving my OCMM. But Ive read tons of good things about this razor! If you decide you dont likey, I want first dibs!! :001_cool:

I doubt that was ever that shiny even when new...

I need to get more MAAS and an ultrasonic cleaner.

Used near boiling water with Simply Green, then Scrubbing Bubbles, then Brasso. Got tons and tons of tarnish off - polishing towel was black.

But man oh man, my Clog Pruf did not shine up like this one.

I'm on my fourth shave with one. The first two were horrible. Razor burn and weapers. :crying:

Then I watched Mr. Guys's video for the 6th time and the "no pressure" part came in loud and clear. I decided to try it one more time going slowly, with literally no pressure. The result, perfect near BBS shave with no irritation.
I'm using the Pella coated SS blades and hand stropping them before every shave. So far so good. The Clog Pruf is my first foray in the world of SE shaving. in a couple of weeks I will try my OC, and then my G-Bar, and Push Button, and 1912, and Damaskeene and ........

No pressure is soooo important when you start. I'm putting less pressure on this than I do with my Futur.

No pressure is key, but I still was not satsified with my Clog Pruf shaves.

I watched Mr. Guy's video again, and this time took away that a., I needed to adjust my angle and get the razor head off of my face, and b., stop taking such little strokes and lengthen the stroke, even speeding up a little bit.

Following that, the last two shaves have been the best two shaves yet. :thumbup1:

You'll like it. It's a milder version of the open comb micromatic.
wat he said^^^^^^^:thumbup1:
Had my second shave with the Clog Pruf last night.
You will indeed enjoy this razor. :thumbup1:
Just had my third shave with one this morning. You can guess the rest. The same boring old fantastically close shave.
That is a great razor.. My favorite of the MM family. :thumbup1:
Great razor!!:thumbup:
Sweet. I have been using the heck out of my Clog Proof.
Mine too. The engineers at ASR really nailed it when they designed the CP. Congrats on a very nice razor!

Unfortunately not for myself. The first two shaves with this razor were not good at all. I have a feeling that it could be the blades. I'm using Harris Teeter (a grocery store) branded razors (they were NOT packed on behalf of American Razor Company). They just feel horrible...almost industrial. I'm going to try a nuther' one or two. Tweak my angle and try again. I'll update, but as of now I'm not impressed. Any other assorted tips with the Micromatics?

That looks really nice, do you have any "before" pics?
I'm still kicking myself for that. I always take befores...except this time. Sorry Miles.

awww, I was so excited when I read the title, I thought you were giving it away! :w00t: I was scooting my butt in my chair all excited. :blush:

Oh well, Im glad you got that razor! Im a newbie to the SE world, and I am currently loving my OCMM. But Ive read tons of good things about this razor! If you decide you dont likey, I want first dibs!! :001_cool:
JSJ,

First dibs have been called. If I can't get the magic working it'll be PIF'ed your way. Give me a week or two to see if I can get it in the groove.

Now I gotta get a Clog Pruf.

Refer to above, but, as of now. I need some tweaking or other razors to see if it's me, the blade, the razor, or a combination of all three.

My favorite Gem...my sister lives in Shelton, CT....

My Mom likes it down that way. She lives in the "dirty waters" (not Boston) and for those not from CT...the city of Waterbury. It's where I grew up, but it's a much different place now.

I doubt that was ever that shiny even when new...

I need to get more MAAS and an ultrasonic cleaner.

The ultrasonic has revolutionized the way I clean stuff. I was at the range today and put both of my pistols in for cleaning. As you can see here, it got all of the powder, residue, and other assorted gunk clean from parts I'm not able to get to usually. These things are great!
proxy.php

Used near boiling water with Simply Green, then Scrubbing Bubbles, then Brasso. Got tons and tons of tarnish off - polishing towel was black.

But man oh man, my Clog Pruf did not shine up like this one.
Thanks for the tip with the Simple Green, Srub Bubbs, and Brasso. I'm partial to MAAS. I think it's a great product.

I'm on my fourth shave with one. The first two were horrible. Razor burn and weapers. :crying:

Then I watched Mr. Guys's video for the 6th time and the "no pressure" part came in loud and clear. I decided to try it one more time going slowly, with literally no pressure. The result, perfect near BBS shave with no irritation.
I'm using the Pella coated SS blades and hand stropping them before every shave. So far so good. The Clog Pruf is my first foray in the world of SE shaving. in a couple of weeks I will try my OC, and then my G-Bar, and Push Button, and 1912, and Damaskeene and ........

No pressure is soooo important when you start. I'm putting less pressure on this than I do with my Futur.

Doodi,

Thanks for the tip. I also viewed Mr. Guy's video, but my "no pressure" approach just let to MAJOR hang-ups. It'd hit a hair and stop on a dime. I'm going to have to pick up some other blades I think.

No pressure is key, but I still was not satsified with my Clog Pruf shaves.

I watched Mr. Guy's video again, and this time took away that a., I needed to adjust my angle and get the razor head off of my face, and b., stop taking such little strokes and lengthen the stroke, even speeding up a little bit.

Following that, the last two shaves have been the best two shaves yet. :thumbup1:

4hits,

I'll try that too.

Thanks for the tips.

I do. I'll check em' out tomorrow and see what luck I have.

I've only used the Walgreens Gems so far, but I am happy with them.

I used the first blade for 8 shaves, just to see how far it would go. For me, I think 5 or 6 shaves will be the perfect blade-life for the Walgreens Gem.

Top Bottom