What's new

"Clog Pruf" Micromatic vs. Other SEs

So, after buying a "Clog Pruf" Gem micromatic off the BST here, I've been using it since it arrived. It's amazing. Seriously, I never could have imagined anything shaves this well. One pass WTG and a second pass XTG on the jawline and neck and I've got a DFS. My question is, do any other SEs compare? I had a featherweight as a first SE, and I can tell the Clog Pruf is more aggressive, not to mention the lather and whiskers don't get.... well, clogged. The G Bar, 1912 and Open Comb Micromatic I have not tried yet, but I'm wondering if I should even spend time looking.

I had a featherweight as a first SE, and I can tell the Clog Pruf is more aggressive, not to mention the lather and whiskers don't get.... well, clogged. The G Bar, 1912 and Open Comb Micromatic I have not tried yet, but I'm wondering if I should even spend time looking.

From my experience, the G Bar shares the same head as the Featherweight. It's primary difference will be the weightier handle.

The 1912 is generally considered to be the best of the Gems.

The Open Comb Micromatic is considered to be the most aggressive of all of the Gems.

The Micromatic was also made as the Bullet Tip/ Bulls-eye Micromatic, and that version is a true closed safety bar razor. (The Clog Pruf is sort of a cross between an Open Comb, and a Closed Safety Bar.)

I think I'll have to give my Clog Pruf another try. I've been using my 1912 as my primary shaver for a while now, and can get a great shave in 3 passes with no cuts/nicks/irritation. I gave the Clog Pruf one try and cut myself up. Probably my own fault--I'll try it again.

The open comb Micromatic is my favorite. It's also the most plentiful of the Micromatics and can be found just about anywhere for a song. I'd recommend that you try it.

- Chris

Definitely give the open comb a try. It's a bit more aggressive than the Clog Pruf, but the results are that much better as well. They're all pretty inexpensive to come by, I'd say don't pass one up when you have a chance, but the OC is my favorite GEM.

I have 3 Gems. Clog-Pruf is my favorite, others are 1912 & Jr.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

So, after buying a "Clog Pruf" Gem micromatic off the BST here, I've been using it since it arrived. It's amazing. Seriously, I never could have imagined anything shaves this well. One pass WTG and a second pass XTG on the jawline and neck and I've got a DFS. My question is, do any other SEs compare? I had a featherweight as a first SE, and I can tell the Clog Pruf is more aggressive, not to mention the lather and whiskers don't get.... well, clogged. The G Bar, 1912 and Open Comb Micromatic I have not tried yet, but I'm wondering if I should even spend time looking.

Gents,
Permit me a moment to relate a story: last Sunday was "Forgiveness Sunday" at our Orthodox Christian church; customary at commencement of Lent. At end of service, everyone lines up and asks one another "forgiveness" for transgressions this past year. All continue through the line, ask forgiveness and kiss one another on each cheek.

Well, it became obvious right away to my wife and kids which men needed to subscribe to our illustrious forum for some insights!
Thankfully, I had a wonderful BBS shave Sunday morning with newly acquired GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf; no wrinkled brows encountered from female parishioners upon double cheek contact.

A few weeks ago, acquired both a Gem de Luxe Damaskeene open-comb and GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf; both excellent condition from a local antique store.
Have only used both with drug-store bought GEM blades, packaged with blade vault.

The Damaskeene has only seen two shaves; the Clog Pruf has seen several. My shaving tools over the years (until these single edge acquisitions) have included: Merkur HD long handle, Merkur Vision--a.k.a nightmare on elm street, Gillette SuperSpeed (British made) and Hoffritz Slant Bar.

What can be said? This GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf has produced the closest, and most comfortable BBS shaves I've ever experienced. Both with Taylor Lavender Cream and Cella Shaving Soap applied with Vulfix super badger.
Incredible smoothness and totally stubble free in three passes and just a bit of buffing under the jawline.
For me, this is nirvana; had to wait until 43 yrs young to attain the single edge enlightenment.

In good health,

Porrone

I love the G-Bar and 1912 but they are more mild to me than any of the micromatics. If you love the clog-pruf then do yourself a favor and try the open comb micromatic. The open comb micromatic is now my go to travel razor (easy 2 pass DFS) and my stay at home daily razor is a Star/Kampfe lather catcher (easy 3 pass BBS) :thumbup1:

Thanks for all the feedback! FedEx just arrived with my Ted Pella blades a little while ago, so I'll have something a little different to fool with until I hunt down more SEs :laugh:

You should try as many as you can... Variety is the spice of life.. The GEM models are pretty decent and all have there own sort of style. :thumbup:

I would recommend you try a 1912 patent ASR razor, whether it is called "Gem", Gem Jr." Star or Ever-Ready, they all have the same head. In my experience, the 1912 is second only to it's predecessor, the 1900/1901 patent Gem Jr. Bar Razor, in producing the best and most comfortable shave available.

Although my real preference is for the Bar Razor, which has that big old lather catcher, the 1912 will generally be easier to find and will likely be less costly to aquire and the shave is almost equal to the Bar Razor.

over the last fifty-five or so years I have tried many makes and models of DE's, SE's, injectors and even various cartridge razors, but since I tried the 1912 and then the 1900/1901, I haven't been tempted to even try any others. I feel that razor design reached it's peak something over 100 years ago.

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom