What's new

Cleaning an older Gillette

I picked up this old Gillette this morning. The Pat. date of Nov 15 '04 is stamped on the outside of the handle, but the serial # on the screw-in handle bottom dates it to 1905. It appears to be silver-plated aluminum. It is almost completely black with tarnish. What would be the safest way to clean this up without risking plate loss? It's in fairly good condition and I don't want to ruin it.

Nice old type. These were "triple silver plated" so the plating is much thicker than some more recent razors. I use NevrDull, which is polish impregnated cotton batting, others recommend Maas. It should clean up nicely.

I use NevrDull as well and it does a great job.!!!!! Maas works well to, I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in....

BTW Nice Find.....

I was lucky to get this one. I saw it at an antique store over a month ago while looking at Str8's and didn't think too much about it. It kept crossing my mind though, so I went back and it was still there. So are Nevrdull and Maas significantly different products than Brasso? When using Maas, what type of cloth is best? And finally, what kind of stores are most likely to carry these? I know, lots of questions. That's what newbies are for.:smile:

You can find products like these at most hardware stores.

I'm not sure about the particulars of Maas/NevrDull/Brasso. I've use the Cape Cod cloths to remove tarnish with good success.

You are going to be amazed once you clean it up. I have a few of these and they all cleaned up to be gems, shine like nobody's business.

NevrDull is a cotton wading with the cleaning agent soaked in. It is not dripping but damp like a towelet is. You just pull out a little piece from the can and give it a go. It hazes a little so I use a soft buffing cloth after it dries (2-3 minutes) and light buff to a beautiful clean deep shine.

I ride a 56' Harley and as most of us bike nuts. I have chromed the heck out of it. This is what I use before a show. SWEET!!!!!

I have used it on my cases and razors alike, brass, chrome etc.

I do not use it on gold. I use a jewel roush for that if any at all.

The only draw back to the cotton wading is that it catches on the smallest edges so I roll it into tight little balls before I use it. Once dry the little lint like stands can be flicked away.

Most all hardware stores and auto parts stores care it.

As for maas, I purchased it online. I could not find it around here.

Hope this helps.

Do you have a friend who handloads ammunition? Most of us have vibratory brass cleaners which use ground-up walnut hulls impregnated with jeweler's rouge in a vibrating tub. It will clean the corrosion off every nook and cranny on that razor in a few hours. I'm in the DFW area if that helps.

WOW, ya great idea...I never thought of that either. I know a a few guys that would do this for me.....

You don't think this will hurt the plating though?

This one cleaned up pretty good. I could spend some more time on the textured part of the handle, but I'm happy with it for now. Nevrdull is the way to go. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

NevrDull is a cotton wading with the cleaning agent soaked in. It is not dripping but damp like a towelet is. You just pull out a little piece from the can and give it a go. It hazes a little so I use a soft buffing cloth after it dries (2-3 minutes) and light buff to a beautiful clean deep shine.

I ride a 56' Harley and as most of us bike nuts. I have chromed the heck out of it. This is what I use before a show. SWEET!!!!!

I have used it on my cases and razors alike, brass, chrome etc.

I do not use it on gold. I use a jewel roush for that if any at all.

The only draw back to the cotton wading is that it catches on the smallest edges so I roll it into tight little balls before I use it. Once dry the little lint like stands can be flicked away.

Most all hardware stores and auto parts stores care it.

As for maas, I purchased it online. I could not find it around here.

Hope this helps.

I was able to find MAAS at my local WalMart SuperCenter next to the Brasso. It comes in a tube.

Ron

This one cleaned up pretty good. I could spend some more time on the textured part of the handle, but I'm happy with it for now. Nevrdull is the way to go. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

I have used Nevrdull on the chrome on my bike. I don't know why I never thought of using it on razors. :redface: You can betcha' I'm going to try it soon. It surely worked well on this razor, didn't it folks. Beautiful Razor!!:w00t:

Ron

I finally made the round of the one antique (junk) store in town and bought a well used FB, better condition red tip and found a Schick repeater which was black with oxidation. I used the scrubbing bubbles to get off the gunk and then dipped it in some 'instant silver cleaner' my wife has. After about a minute the oxidation came off. Them MAAS to polish it and it looks like new.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the internal magazine to load...

Top Bottom