What's new

Cincinnati chilli questions

Uh yeah. I usually smoke a cigarette after eating geotta...it's that good.

Try it ground up like you'd prepare taco beef. Dash on your favorite hot sauce and mix in a fried or scrambled egg.

Obscene

Goetta and eggs...that's a breakfast! I make my own goetta, which is based on an easily-found recipe. Just google crockpot goetta. I use all pork instead of a pork-beef blend, as listed in the recipe. It taste better and more authentic to me. It makes a large batch, but freezes well.

Last edited:
I grew up in Cincinnati and make my own Cincy chili. I don't share my recipe, but this recipe will get you in the ballpark.

No sugar! Even though it's sometimes referred to as a sweet-hot chili, there's no sugar in any Cincinnati chili I ever had. There's also no pork.

Of course, feel free to do whatever you want. My advice is to help you attain authenticity.

Mine contains sugar as it's got a lot of black pepper in there which tends to make it a little bitter. Not enough to make it sweet in the slightest though, just to take the edge off

I have had Cincinnati chili a few times and I think Ron White summed up my feelings towards it. Its not bad but I'll take my southwest style chili any day of the week.

I've already mastered 'regular' chilli :thumbup: there's just something about Cin' style, there's nothing else out there that tastes remotely like it. At least not with my recipe! :laugh:

Afraid I'm going to have to take the minority opinion and express my strong distaste for that abomination they call Cincinnati-style chili. I'm not sure which ingredient turns me off, but each time I've tried it (in a Cincinnati chili parlor, not homemade), I got the worst case of heartburn I can recall.
:thumbdown

I'm normally someone who is not fazed by strong spices...in fact, the spicier the better!

My wife does not like it either because she is sensitive to the taste of cinnamon. She's a Texas girl, and thinks it's just wrong to put cinnamon in chili. I love it and can't get enough of it.

I ate at skyline once after a concert with a group of friends. We all were in the bathroom an hour later. Besides that the taste was just weird and spaghetti? The cinammon also turned me off or was it the nutmeg? Maybe if I was accustomed to it I might like it better but it just wasnt for me. My stomach turns just thinking of it.

I use about a 1/3 tsp per 2lbs of beef, maybe mine uses a lot less than the real Skyline stuff? I've certainly never found it to be overpowering... the cinnamon that is

I can't figure it out. I've tried a few times and what I end up with doesn't taste like Skyline or Gold Star. I've heard various things on the secret ingredient being allspice and cinamon and cocoa powder. My wife is from there and they love the stuff. I prefer southwestern or, better yet, verde.

back in the day when I worked.. we would go to Skyline every other Thursday and my standard order was a large 3 way and 2 skyliners. btw, the opposite every other Thursday was a trip to White Castle for 5 and onion chips with a van shake!

I usually include cocoa, and sometimes cinnamon in my chili, but I never thought of it as Cincinnati-style. I actually was inspired more by Mole sauces.

I've tried many, many chilis and I can honestly say I like Cincinnati the best. Maybe I'm just getting old but so many of the tomato based chilis really irritate my gut and fire up the acid reflux. The Cincy style is more like mildly spicy, warm comfort food. Especially on that spaghetti with some onions and beans.

To each their own, but the one thing my ex-wife said that I actually agreed with----"Food isn't supposed to hurt!"

I like Cincy chili. I think I think about it the way others think about Chicago pizza -- it's not chili, but it's still pretty darn tasty.

When I tasted it, there was definitely cinnamon in there. Might have been some ginger, too. Not sure.

My friend, a native, said it was the result of Greek influences, and that seemed about how it tasted to me.

I never did quite figure out the attraction of Cincinnati chili. I am a Southwest style aficionado myself. Maybe it's one of those things that you grew up with the taste of?!

For me the attraction is the warming spices. As I've gotten older, the heavy tomato based foods don't quite sit as well. However, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and such do well. I've gotten away from the Southwest style foods because I personally don't find them complex enough taste wise. Every time I have it, all I taste is tomatoes, peppers, and onion. Usually too much cumin in there too. I'm a picky SOB I guess.

I moved to the area about 4 years ago and everyone wants to tell you how much better one is then the other. To tell you the truth I have no desire to try it now or in the future. When I look at it, it does not look like something I want to eat. I think chili should have real meat in it not just ground up what ever meat.

Top Bottom