What's new

Christmas Hats - some thoughts

Got a Country Gentleman wool Fedora and a wool Pork Pie (forgot the maker). Love the hats. Went on-line today to understand the proper way to wear each hat given the level of attire (casual vs business casual, vs business formal). I found one trend that was disturbing and I did some serious reading. It appears that the Fedora has a following but also a very vocal segment who actively hate the hat. I found sites that give reasons why women should not date men that wear Fedoras, sites that simply disparage the hat, and sites that go to great lengths to show how men look stupid with the hat on their heads. I have also noticed a trend. The sites I saw were most often by women discussing men. However, given the language, references and pictures, I had to conclude that the sites were about (mostly) girls and some boys talking about boys who wear the hat. I say boys because when it comes to the Fedora, anyone under about 40 is simply too young. The Fedora is a hat for a mature face, a face with some weather to it. Imagine Casablanca without Bogart's Fedora. The goodbye scene simply doesn't work without the hat. Imagine the Indiana Jones character in that Fedora 20 years younger (younger than Harrison Ford when he played in the first Star Wars). The hat would have made the character look very baby-faced. It simply wouldn't have worked for the Jones character. My point? Gentlemen, when selecting a hat, leave the Fedora to men in their 40s and Hombergs to those over 40 who can pull it off. Pork Pies rarely work for men under 30 (unless music, cards, or pool is involved) and the Trilby is not a hat for a large man. The brim is too narrow for a mature man's wide shoulders. IF a Trilby can be found with some quality, it probably would be a good choice for a thinner young man (under 30-35 depending). If in doubt, the flat cap (ivy cap, driver's cap) looks good on 95+% of the men who wear them (thus their popularity). Unlike you have been told, the baseball cap is also not for everyone but looks good on 90% + of the people who wear them. Finally, all rules have exceptions (think of the Fedora on Sinatra way back when he was young). IF IF IF your frame and facial features can pull off the hat at 18 or 98, then wear it with style and confidence. Just be SURE you are an exception to the rule, ask the wife, girlfriend or another woman you know well enough that she will tell you the truth, no matter how much it may hurt. My wife has told me that a hat I tried made me look like a walrus. Better to know from her and pass because when you don the right one, her eyes will tell you long before her voice does. Merry Christmas

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
There are so many hat hang ups out there. I cannot give proper edicate, but if you like it wear it. I wear a Stetson 90% of the time, I get funny looks even in Texas. The only thing I do is switch from Beaver to Straw when if warms up.

Nice advice. I'm 30 and have wanted to start wearing a Fedora for a few years. But they just don't work for me. So now I'm hoping that in 10 years I'll be able to pull it off!

strop

Now half as wise
The only hat that immediately go a very vocal NO from my bride, the second I put it on, was a bowler. The Homburg was a definite yes and still one of her favorites. I fit your above criteria to wear a fedora, and wear one most days.

The only hat that immediately go a very vocal NO from my bride, the second I put it on, was a bowler. The Homburg was a definite yes and still one of her favorites. I fit your above criteria to wear a fedora, and wear one most days.

My wife loves my Bowler but I have nothing appropriate to wear it with.

strop

Now half as wise
I went into the store that day with the idea that I was going to get the bowler. I have to agree with her, though, it just didn't look right with my face and build.

The problem is not the hat or its style, rather it is with the type(s) of peoples who choose to wear the fedora at their age, and more importantly, maturity level. For the better or worse, a lot of young men who wear fedoras have a certain stereotype (overweight, unkempt beard, viligant atheist, mild misogynist, overall angst and immaturity towards the world) attached to the hat, how true it is or isn't is up for argument, but the correlation exists in the minds of many. Of course, this does suck if one would like to wear a fedora and is by no means any of the above, but that is the way the world works, certain styles come in and out of fashion, and the occasional accessory or piece of clothing gets attached to a certain stereotype.

All that being said, there is a huge difference between the appearance of a 20 something year old man wearing a fedora, and a 40+ year old man. And also a large difference between wearing a fedora with jeans and a graphic tshirt, and wearing it with a suit. The overall context provides a strong argument against the common stereotype, one would IMO look completely fine in proper attire to adorn the hat.

Don't sweat it so much, the peoples who dislike the hat moreso dislike the image associated with the hat (ie the stereotypical wearer) not the style of the hat in good context. And if you are over the age of 40, it really doesn't apply to you anyway.

I didn't think I could pull off wearing a Fedora until I was about 40. Now I rarely go out without one and my well-weathered (and scarred) face has no problem sitting under one.
Neat observation, OP.

I hate sunburns. Always have. When I was 15 years old I saved up for ages, went out and bought a Tilley hat. Wore that thing daily straight to collage. Found a nice stingy brim Fedora when I was 18 and started wearing that instead. Discovered Club Obi Wan (COW) and bought an Akubra Federation (Indiana Jones hat) Wore that daily for years until I started expanding my hat collection.

My father thought I was silly but never discouraged me. My father got skin cancer at age 54. Fought the good fight for three years and died at 57 years young. Never got to see a singe grandchild. Never saw retirement. One of his brothers has been treated twice now. Fortunately he is still surviving.

Now I am 36, married with four kids. I am very happy I have been wearing a hat all these years. I want to live long enough to see my grandchildren.

My family and myself have been through more than a lot of family's. Because of that I hold my tongue a lot when I hear people Shooting there mouth off about hats and how silly they look. Do your research, skin cancer is a borderline epidemic world wide. An epidemic we can fight with hats and sunscreen. I would prefer 80 years of looking silly than 57 years of "cool"

My two cents worth.

Johnny.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
All that being said, there is a huge difference between the appearance of a 20 something year old man wearing a fedora, and a 40+ year old man. And also a large difference between wearing a fedora with jeans and a graphic tshirt, and wearing it with a suit. The overall context provides a strong argument against the common stereotype, one would IMO look completely fine in proper attire to adorn the hat.

This ...

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

... not this ...

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

... and your problems are solved.

Do your research, skin cancer is a borderline epidemic world wide. An epidemic we can fight with hats and sunscreen. I would prefer 80 years of looking silly than 57 years of "cool"

Cancer is one of the reasons I started wearing a hat some time back. When I started cutting my hair short I decided that one bout with malignant Melanoma was enough. Ten years cancer free in 2004. However, with some consideration, you can have both a hat and a respectable and attractive look to you. No matter how much we may hate to admit it, a gentleman with a sharp professional look to him will get further that one who looks generally slovenly. Want proof, wear your suit into a fine jeweler's establishment, spend no more than $20 and see how you are treated. Then go back a month later with jeans and a t-shirt and do the same thing.

Last edited:
I didn't think I could pull off wearing a Fedora until I was about 40. Now I rarely go out without one and my well-weathered (and scarred) face has no problem sitting under one.
Neat observation, OP.

Ditto.

Ballcaps don't protect the back of my head and neck. I really haven't worn them for a while.
I wore do-rags for a few years because they worked well under a helmet, but I haven't been riding much lately.

About the only time I'll throw on a ballcap now is when I'm working on the cars. General "dirty work" it's a bucket hat for the neck coverage, but any time I'm leaving home, it's a wool or straw fedora, regardless of whether I'm wearing a print t-shirt and jeans or slacks and a polo.
Whether wool or straw depends on the weather, though I generally gravitate toward the straw stingy when wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ballcaps don't protect the back of my head and neck. I really haven't worn them for a while.

When I was a teenager and Boy Scout, our troop went on a week-long camping trip in the sunny foothills of Alberta. We all wore ball-caps the whole week. By the end of the trip, the tops of my ears were badly sunburned. I remember one other kid with huge blisters on the tops of his ears from sunburn.

Ick.

A few years ago, I made an afternoon of going and being fitted for a fedora that was made for me. (Thanks, www.genaconti.com) The Milliner was amazing, the measuring and fitting were a great experience and the hat is...well, it's mine and its perfect. My girlfriend loves it so much I took her to get fitted for her own last Christmas and I'm fitting her for a spring fedora as soon as the shop opens again. Not yet 40, but I can appreciate the quality and aesthetic of a good hat. As for those who dislike? Your fashion is nowhere near my style. 'Nuff said.

Top Bottom