What's new

Choosing a second DE: Problems with the Merkur 34C

Well I say I ordered 2 but currently it won’t let me… says worldwide postage but keeps erroring as I live in the UK!
Waiting for customer service to get back to me

I know the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 base plate has a horrible name... but it had a well deserved reputation. At $100, it's a steal.... It made my top 6 razor list.... and all the other razors are $200 or more.
@RickRoberts - if you're in the UK then you have the same dilemma as I faced just a few weeks/months ago.

Many of the great razors recommended by our friends in NA can be quite hard to get hold of in the UK - or if you can, they cost a significant chunk more in the UK which skews the playing field quite dramatically in terms of relative VFM.

From my own research and wanting to move on from my Muhle R89 (great razor by the way - immaculate finish, zero blade alignment issues and should be found new for <£35 - very mild in terms of efficiency), I would have purchased both of the Game Changers for circa $55 each from Italian Barber and used the one I liked most. In the end, they wouldn't ship to the UK and I couldn't easily source them in the EU for much less than £100 each - and I thought there were probably better options in terms of VFM.

To cut a long story short, I ended up with a Green Cult 2.0 with a level II plate - fully CNC machined from stainless steel and precision personified - forget about blade alignment issues! I purchased it from a Spanish retailer Your Shaving which I'd used before and there were no import fees/VAT - around £70 delivered. If you can fit it in your travel kit I'd strongly recommend you consider this razor - it's now my daily driver.

The GC 2.0 took a little learing - my experiences are linked below. Wouldn't go back now, though.

Lastly, some have recommended a Gillette Tech - I haven't tried one but that's next on my list......

Good luck and if you need any further advice from anyone, just shout.

If I were traveling I would probably take one of my $10 Ebay Gillette Techs. I like the pre-war or post war, but prefer the fat handle.

For home I like the Razorock Game Changer (68P), Feather ASD2, or Timeless 68SB.

All fairly mild shavers, and no fiddling about with blade alinement on any of those.

I don’t believe I have had an issue with my 34C. Same blade alignment with an Astra SP every weekly blade change. 467A8020-8024-4929-8ACB-537510417819.jpeg
That is its second head, however, as I dropped it and broke the threaded rod off.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Well I say I ordered 2 but currently it won’t let me… says worldwide postage but keeps erroring as I live in the UK!
Waiting for customer service to get back to me
If you don't get any joy with the the shipping try Maggards. They delivere to the UK I've a razor from them that should be here today.

I didn’t really notice, blade alignment issues. First razor that wasn’t cartridge. Sliced the side the of my nose.
First DE razor from AOS in’09 after that for a few years went. To OC old type. Now it’s FaTips OC. But I shave every 2-3 days.

@RickRoberts - if you're in the UK then you have the same dilemma as I faced just a few weeks/months ago.

Many of the great razors recommended by our friends in NA can be quite hard to get hold of in the UK - or if you can, they cost a significant chunk more in the UK which skews the playing field quite dramatically in terms of relative VFM.

From my own research and wanting to move on from my Muhle R89 (great razor by the way - immaculate finish, zero blade alignment issues and should be found new for <£35 - very mild in terms of efficiency), I would have purchased both of the Game Changers for circa $55 each from Italian Barber and used the one I liked most. In the end, they wouldn't ship to the UK and I couldn't easily source them in the EU for much less than £100 each - and I thought there were probably better options in terms of VFM.

To cut a long story short, I ended up with a Green Cult 2.0 with a level II plate - fully CNC machined from stainless steel and precision personified - forget about blade alignment issues! I purchased it from a Spanish retailer Your Shaving which I'd used before and there were no import fees/VAT - around £70 delivered. If you can fit it in your travel kit I'd strongly recommend you consider this razor - it's now my daily driver.

The GC 2.0 took a little learing - my experiences are linked below. Wouldn't go back now, though.

Lastly, some have recommended a Gillette Tech - I haven't tried one but that's next on my list......

Good luck and if you need any further advice from anyone, just shout.

I nearly order some brushes from there but thought to hold off due to messing about with VAT and post etc …. Didn’t want the gain lost as it were … (found a TSR50 code -10% over £50 - ended up getting a jade omega and butterscotch SOC from Connaught instead)

Ta confirming that they’re good and no additional vat - I’ll try them in future

If you want excellent blade clamping and alignment and want a razor that is of a small overall size I would really recommend a Gillette Tech.

It was designed to clamp the blade down using 4 'ears' on the top cap. Excellent shave reminiscent of a 34c. Also very compact.

The English aluminium spiral handled Techs from the 60's-70's are excellent.

Here's mine. late 1950's.
View attachment 1631965

There are some NEW (NOS) MILITARY ISSUED, type TECH's on Ebay around 45-50 bucks.

Henson has perfect blade alignment and it’s very good for sensitive skin. Also it’s really light for traveling. Only problem could be handle length

I have the 34G, no issues with blade alignment. I will second the suggestion for the Gillette Tech. I also travel for work 1/2 of the year and use my Tech as a travel razor. It's small, light, mild, and forgiving if you have bad technique. I prefer a Feather, GSB or Nacet in my Tech, I have a coarse beard, the combo of a mild razor and an aggressive blade is efficient enough for my face.

Hi all!

I’ve had my merkur for a few years now, and used to shave with it regularly, until time constraints had me electric shaving.

My new job where I travel a lot has brought me back to DE shaving (I have time in the hotels to enjoy a nice shave).
What it’s reminded me though is an irritation of my 34C in that it’s a pain the get the blade aligned in the head.

There’s even slop/slack in aligning the head to the base. So changing for a fresh blade is a fiddly task in aligning the head, blade and base.
I’ve tried many tricks such as holding it upside down etc. but really (as an engineer) I just think the tolerances in my razor aren’t very good.

Now, I’d like a second razor so I leave one at home and one to travel with, and the question comes: what is a really good tolerance/quality razor? Or are they all really like this?
Should I just see if a second 34C is better?

If you do recommend a new model. I can’t go too long handle as I want it to fit in my travel case which has a maximum total length of 87.5mm.

I also have relatively sensitive skin (hence my return to DE shaving in an attempt to treat my face better than the electric razor).

Thanks in advance for any help!
My suggestion would be to think out of the box and try a vintage razor, whether DE, SE or injector. You can buy one of each on the Internet for a few bucks each. I started with new DEs, then moved to vintage DEs and then moved on to vintage SEs and injectors. Currently, my DEs, both modern and vintage are gathering dust, while I use SEs and injectors exclusively. I prefer SEs and injectors because the blades are more rigid and thicker and don't have the wobble of DE blades.

I have a 34C with the same sloppy blade alignment problem. The diameters of the top cap blade posts are too small. I used some electrical heat shrink tubing to increase those diameters a bit and that resolved it for me.

FWIW, you might try the Mühle R89 (same head design as the DE89, except a little better build quality). Very similar head design but much better blade alignment (at least for me).

Top Bottom