What's new

Choosing a second DE: Problems with the Merkur 34C

Hi all!

I’ve had my merkur for a few years now, and used to shave with it regularly, until time constraints had me electric shaving.

My new job where I travel a lot has brought me back to DE shaving (I have time in the hotels to enjoy a nice shave).
What it’s reminded me though is an irritation of my 34C in that it’s a pain the get the blade aligned in the head.

There’s even slop/slack in aligning the head to the base. So changing for a fresh blade is a fiddly task in aligning the head, blade and base.
I’ve tried many tricks such as holding it upside down etc. but really (as an engineer) I just think the tolerances in my razor aren’t very good.

Now, I’d like a second razor so I leave one at home and one to travel with, and the question comes: what is a really good tolerance/quality razor? Or are they all really like this?
Should I just see if a second 34C is better?

If you do recommend a new model. I can’t go too long handle as I want it to fit in my travel case which has a maximum total length of 87.5mm.

I also have relatively sensitive skin (hence my return to DE shaving in an attempt to treat my face better than the electric razor).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
My 34 behaves the same way. Someone on the forum suggested holding the blade against the top cap with your thumb and forefinger with mild pressure as you tighten it down. That worked sometimes. My best success was to flip the cap 180 degrees and retighten. Maybe that was just luck of the draw.

I’d look at the Razorock razors although I’m not sure about their handle lengths.

My 34 behaves the same way. Someone on the forum suggested holding the blade against the top cap with your thumb and forefinger with mild pressure as you tighten it down. That worked sometimes. My best success was to flip the cap 180 degrees and retighten. Maybe that was just luck of the draw.

I’d look at the Razorock razors although I’m not sure about their handle lengths.
Glad to hear I’m not the only one!
I just don’t see why the tolerance can’t be better on such a product.
I get there may be some variation in the fit between the blades and the “pins” but the head to base should always fit square.
I’ll check out Razorock, do you have one?

I have excellent blade alignment, usually automatic, in my Van der Hagen (Weishi re-label) and Edwin Jagger 89. It's perfect most of the time without adjustment in my Rockwell 6c, but occasionally I have to unscrew it and screw it down again to get a better alignment.

Hi all!

I’ve had my merkur for a few years now, and used to shave with it regularly, until time constraints had me electric shaving.

My new job where I travel a lot has brought me back to DE shaving (I have time in the hotels to enjoy a nice shave).
What it’s reminded me though is an irritation of my 34C in that it’s a pain the get the blade aligned in the head.

There’s even slop/slack in aligning the head to the base. So changing for a fresh blade is a fiddly task in aligning the head, blade and base.
I’ve tried many tricks such as holding it upside down etc. but really (as an engineer) I just think the tolerances in my razor aren’t very good.

Now, I’d like a second razor so I leave one at home and one to travel with, and the question comes: what is a really good tolerance/quality razor? Or are they all really like this?
Should I just see if a second 34C is better?

If you do recommend a new model. I can’t go too long handle as I want it to fit in my travel case which has a maximum total length of 87.5mm.

I also have relatively sensitive skin (hence my return to DE shaving in an attempt to treat my face better than the electric razor).

Thanks in advance for any help!
If you want excellent blade clamping and alignment and want a razor that is of a small overall size I would really recommend a Gillette Tech.

It was designed to clamp the blade down using 4 'ears' on the top cap. Excellent shave reminiscent of a 34c. Also very compact.

The English aluminium spiral handled Techs from the 60's-70's are excellent.

Here's mine. late 1950's.
IMG_20220407_175026524.jpg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Glad to hear I’m not the only one!
I just don’t see why the tolerance can’t be better on such a product.
I get there may be some variation in the fit between the blades and the “pins” but the head to base should always fit square.
I’ll check out Razorock, do you have one?
I have several Razorocks. Most of their stainless models. There are many posts on them. Especially the Game Changer and Lupo. I found the Lupo to be more aggressive than the GC. I also have both Mambas and BBS. The standard Mamba is was too mild for me. The Mamba 70 was better, but I still prefer the GC 84 solid bar.

For a cheap-ish, well designed travel razor, I'd also suggest RazoRock. Out of all the razors I've tried, the GameChanger is the best bang for buck if you can find one on the used market (they pop up regularly). They generally go for about $40-50 used and at that price is a great everyday razor and given its steel it travels well. It's the only razor I ever had seller's remorse on and then re-purchased.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a few Merkur 34C’s and 34G’s and have no alignment issues whatsoever. Surprised to hear this. Gillette Tech’s are fantastic razors, there are plenty of them around and prices are very reasonable. I love the Gillette Tech and will always bring one home when out shopping in Antique and Second Hand shops.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
For a second there, I thought you might be Rick Roberts from Firefall. 😁

Welcome to B & B, sir! :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B.
I would recommend an Edwin Jagger Kelvin (the head is standard DE89) for travel as it has a shorter handle; good blade alignment on the head too.
My Merkur 34C has no alignment issues but I use the EJ DE89 for travel.

I'll happily pile on the RazoRock train and recommend a Game Changer. The .68 is quite mild, the .84 a moderate step up. I'm a regular user of both and have nothing bad to say about either.

As for handle, the Vintage may be a good pairing for the GC. It comes in both 'Thick' and 'Thin' diameters and both clock in at 76mm length.

Good luck!

+1 with those recommending the RazoRock GameChangers. The .84P was my first purchase after using a 34C (and a couple vintage Gillettes) for over 10 years. It gives very comfortable and consistent results for its price, and is reasonably efficient without feeling too aggressive.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 base plate has a horrible name... but it had a well deserved reputation. At $100, it's a steal.... It made my top 6 razor list.... and all the other razors are $200 or more.

Top Bottom