What's new

Chilli for today

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Yes, I know that a buttload or 3 off you will claim this isn't Chili. I don't care.
Cooking since about 10pm yesterday, coming up 14 hours.
3 beef short ribs (bone on) (about 3 lbsl
3 country style spareribs (about 3 lbs)
2 Jalapeño peppers
3 Serrano peppers
1 onion diced
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
3-4 tbsp. (Maybe more, not sure) of my own blend of pure Chili pepper powders (5 or 6 powders from fairly mild to kinda hot.
1 lb. Or so dried beans, about equal between pinto & small red.
The short rib bones pulled out of the meat when I pulled it up.
Mixed up a hot sauce with a cup or so of the chilli liquid and the remaining Jalapeño & Serrano, with a healthy dash of my Chili powder & a tsp. or 2 of ground Ghost Pepper.

Usually, the only thing that goes faster than my chili is my friend Donna's Mac & Cheese.
0526241304_HDR.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mmmm...chili. At the risk of hearing arteries poppin' around here like 4th of July firecrackers, just like sandwiches the classification is broad. :) Chili ain't just the one thing.

I'd eat that. One of my regular preps is a big pot of beans, soaked and cooked about halfway then frozen in small packages. All ready for bean soup or chili. Not too much of a fan of pinto beans but I can eat them; I far prefer red kidney or black turtle beans. With black beans my chili always turns in a Jamaican direction: lime and habanero peppers in extreme moderation, tempered with a little coconut milk. Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb; all good.

You do know you need cornbread with that, yes? Mrs. Hippie's Arkansas roots show up in her cornbread, which is not the cakey sweet kind! She likes to make it in a skillet. She'll get that sucker red hot and smokin', then throw in a knob of lard and pour in the batter. Makes a lovely deep brown crunchy bottom crust; best part as far as I'm concerned. (The crunchy parts are the best, according to Calvin Trillin.)

Some years ago I made the mistake of making a batch of chili -- well, two batches, one vegetarian -- for our university department's end of semester feed. Suddenly that was The Thing I Had To Bring Every Time. There's a secret: put in some Hershey's Cocoa (not Dutch Process). A couple tablespoons of that and suddenly there's this deep dark smoky tang to the gravy.

O.H.

Best Chili I ever had was Green Chili & Pork with Flour Tortillas in Colorado in some old dirt lot Sinclair Truck Stop near Pueblo Colorado. Was some great it was a regular eating when on I-25, when I was in the area working.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
@captp, looks great pal. Similar to what I do, never thought about using beef short ribs or pork ribs, I use chucks of beef and pork. Using the beef short ribs I'm sure are more flavorful because of fat and bone than beef chucks.
I used chuck or round roast & pork sausage for many years (still do, sometimes). Always cooked the roast whole, then shredded it; when I do it in the crock-pot (which I always do now) I don't even have to take it out to shred, just stir it up and it falls apart after 8-10 hours of cooking.
Tried a lot of variations of pork & beef 'til I found one I REALLY liked; I've been using the rib combo the last few times. I want to try it with brisket next time. I've been considering using a rack of ribs (baby back or spare) for the pork side.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that a buttload or 3 off you will claim this isn't Chili. I don't care.
Cooking since about 10pm yesterday, coming up 14 hours.
3 beef short ribs (bone on) (about 3 lbsl
3 country style spareribs (about 3 lbs)
2 Jalapeño peppers
3 Serrano peppers
1 onion diced
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
3-4 tbsp. (Maybe more, not sure) of my own blend of pure Chili pepper powders (5 or 6 powders from fairly mild to kinda hot.
1 lb. Or so dried beans, about equal between pinto & small red.
The short rib bones pulled out of the meat when I pulled it up.
Mixed up a hot sauce with a cup or so of the chilli liquid and the remaining Jalapeño & Serrano, with a healthy dash of my Chili powder & a tsp. or 2 of ground Ghost Pepper.

Usually, the only thing that goes faster than my chili is my friend Donna's Mac & Cheese.
View attachment 1852618

I would eat that anytime and to me it does qualify as chili. My wife fixes hers with tons of hamburger, beans, spices and whatever else she can think of.

We were invited to a friend’s home for chili and it was more like a weak tomato soup with beans. My sons politely ate a bowl and on the way home asked my wife to make some real chili. If it isn’t hearty it isn’t chili.

Top Bottom