What's new

Chili Time!

Not that any time isn't great for chili, but we just got our first snow of the season down here in Baltimore. I thought it was about time I made the first batch of chili of the season. My last foray into world of chili was less than successful. I made a white chili that, well, sucked. But, I ate it, because I hate to see food go to waste.

Anway, I just made an excellent chili. I found the recipe on the foodnetwork.com. I altered it slightly buy using Yeungling instead of budwiser. Also, my SWMBO does not eat red meat or pork, so I changed the recipe (which calls for ground beef and ground pork) to ground turkey, ground chicken and turkey bacon. It was excellent. I believe it would probably be spectacular if I had actually used the beef and pork as the meat renderings add more flavor than chicken and turkey. Here are a couple of pics from my prep, the cook, and the final product. It is not as soupy as it looks. This was definitely a stick to your ribs chili. The best part was that unlike most chili recipes, this chili did not repeat on my or sit in the middle of my chest after eating it.

Does anyone else have any great chili recipes?

Last edited:
Looks like a good list of ingredients there! Try adding some celery and green bell pepper to it the next time, the amounts of each equal to about half the amount of onion that you use.

Looks like a good list of ingredients there! Try adding some celery and green bell pepper to it the next time, the amounts of each equal to about half the amount of onion that you use.

Yeah, it was a little onion heavy. I used red and yellow bell peppers instead of green.

Celery? I have never had that in chili. Actual celery or did you add celery seed seasoning for the meat?

Looks great! Do you have a link to the recipe?

Here is the link and the recipe as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-famous-beef-and-pork-chili-recipe/index.html

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
1 hr 45 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

* 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 2 medium onions, finely chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, chopped
* 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
* 3 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
* 1 pound ground pork
* 1 cup beer (recommended: Budweiser)
* 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
* Lime wedges, for garnish
* Sour cream, for garnish
* Shredded Cheddar, for garnish
* Sliced scallions, for garnish

Directions

In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned, add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic. Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary. Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.

MMMmmmmm Chili! I love chili in the winter. I make a wicked White Bean Chicken Chili. If I think about it I'll post the recipe here later.

Looks awesome. For the record -- heavy on onions is the way to go!! We just got our first snow in Indy -- this recipe will come in handy!! THANKS!!

I made chili the other day to put into the crock pot all day. Came out pretty well. Here's what I did:

1 lb ground chuck
1 lb ground pork
1 red onion chopped
1 can pinto beans (drained)
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can chopped fire roasted tomatoes
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced (add more to make it hotter)
Couple of tablespoons of chili powder (I use Alton Brown's recipe)
1 tbsp smoked paprika
Pinch salt
1 beer (the more flavorful the better)
Couple of handfuls of tortilla chips ground very fine

Brown the pork and the beef. Use the fat to sautee the onion until translucent. Add everything but the tortilla chips to the crock pot and stir. Cook covered on low all day. Before serving mix in the tortilla chips. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and more tortilla chips. Note that if you uncover the crock pot for a couple of hours it'll thicken up nicely even without the chips (you'll need to add more salt if using this approach).

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I just finished a batch of chili. This time instead of adding the black pepper, cayenne, and red pepper flakes I normally use I tried adding some smoked chipotle peppers from a tin (7, 3 seeded and 4 not seeded in a batch of chili taking 3 tins of beans and 1 tin diced 1 tin stewed tomatoes) and finely diced.

I love the smoky flavour. The heat grows slowly as you eat . . . and the numbness in your lips starts to go away about five minutes after you finish eating.

I think this is going to be a permanent change to my recipe.

When I get home from this project I'm definitely putting together a pot.

My own recipe (which has enough beans and tomatoes in it to get me in trouble anywhere, but which I still think tastes great):

2 lbs lean ground beef
2x 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1x 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes (these are the ones with the chilis)
2x 15.5 oz cans beans, drained (I mix these up depending on mood: Kidney, black, great northern, whatever looks good at the time)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 sweet onion, diced
1 dark beer
minced garlic, to taste (which tends to mean lots)
chili powder, to taste (again, lots)

It's not that exciting as far as spices and fancy greens go, but it's got just the right flavor for me. Also, I've had great success dropping the meat entirely and doubling the beans, depending on some of the friends I cook for.

Of course, the real secret to chili is to let it simmer until your patience runs out. I still need to get myself a slow-cooker, but my great big stock pot on the stove works just fine for now. It also gets better when you pack half of it away and reheat it in a few days.

Top Bottom