What's new

cherry tomato test

Question about the cherry tomato test. I've watched videos and looked around and have never had an answer to this question. When. Doing the tomato test, does the blade have to cut through by pushing straight into the tomato? Or can there be a slight slicing motion?

Very slight slice with minimal pressure.

Try it with a shave ready razor, the bevel set should feel very close to that.

Oh absolutely. I've done it on every one of my razors at the 1k level. I was just always trying to get it to push in without using any slicing motion whatsoever and really haven't had that happen I was just wondering if that's something that people do if it's even possible

The way I always do it is I just use the weight of the razor on the cherry tomato and the second I start to go to slice it just drops right down into the cherry but I'm just trying to figure out if anyone can do it without any slicing motion with maybe just some pressure pushing in

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMO the nature of the "cutting" action requires some slicing motion to get it going. Straight force without slicing will cut, however it is akin to a chop vs a slice- If the razor could cut without lateral movement imagine how hard it would be to shave!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just the weight of the razor with zero slicing motion would be a truly science fiction sharp edge, not just a good bevel or even a typical finish. I dont think I can do it. Takes a slight added pressure or a little bit of pull. But that's not my normal test.

Me, for the bevel I check by shaving arm hair and rate it according to the ease of cutting. For the finish I use the forearm treetop test at 1/4" above the skin and rate it by sound and pop or lack thereof, and how many hairs it gets on a pass.

Lots of sharpness tests. But they are all kinda subjective and mostly valuable in comparing one of your edges to another of your edges.

Just the weight of the razor with zero slicing motion would be a truly science fiction sharp edge, not just a good bevel or even a typical finish. I dont think I can do it. Takes a slight added pressure or a little bit of pull. But that's not my normal test.

Me, for the bevel I check by shaving arm hair and rate it according to the ease of cutting. For the finish I use the forearm treetop test at 1/4" above the skin and rate it by sound and pop or lack thereof, and how many hairs it gets on a pass.

Lots of sharpness tests. But they are all kinda subjective and mostly valuable in comparing one of your edges to another of your edges.
Definitely not what I said. I said pressure pushing straight into it. I just wanted to know if anyone could do it. Without any slicing motion. When I use a very slight slicing motion I use just the weight of the razor

Definitely not what I said. I said pressure pushing straight into it. I just wanted to know if anyone could do it. Without any slicing motion. When I use a very slight slicing motion I use just the weight of the razor

When i do the cherry tomato test I use a very, very light pressure slicing motion and use the same method all the time to gage my bevel set, I never could figure out the TPT or TNT and this is really easy for me and works every time, the next time i do it I think I will test pushing it straight down and see what I get

I usually just use the thumb pad test now. But the tomato test seems to work pretty well. I also just look under my loupe and can tell that way.

When i do the cherry tomato test I use a very, very light pressure slicing motion and use the same method all the time to gage my bevel set, I never could figure out the TPT or TNT and this is really easy for me and works every time, the next time i do it I think I will test pushing it straight down and see what I get

I think you will get the beginnings of a Bloody Mary..

Resurrecting this thread as I have a question and I don't think it is out of place here.
I've seen this referred to as Cherry Tomato and Grape Tomato Test, which is fine I don't think there is that much difference between the two so far as this test is concerned.

My question is this, can you use a plain ole grape to do the same test? I usually have grapes, but I don't normally keep grape or cherry tomatoes in the house.

My question is this, can you use a plain ole grape to do the same test? I usually have grapes, but I don't normally keep grape or cherry tomatoes in the house.
I have tried grapes and tomatoes together once and edges that would pass on grapes were failing on cherry tomatoes.

All I will say is I never used this test. And it sounded kinda funny at first. BUT Alfredo puts on the best edge I ever tried so there it is. Lol.

Top Bottom