What's new

Cherished items?

I don't have any shave-related items that I truly cherish. Since I don't have any razors that belonged to deceased relatives, all of my stuff is replaceable. I certainly have things that I like a lot and would hate to lose/wouldn't want to sell, but nothing that I would consider that I really "cherish."

I'm a bit envious of those of you who do have such items, because it usually means you have a family heirloom that you can actually use in your grooming routine.

I don't have anything sentimental in my den and my most cherished item is purely utilitarian...it's the EJ silvertip fibre version 1, which was discontinued back in 2012.

It behaves just like a matter brush but is synthetic. It's amazing and no other brush matches it.

I was visiting a older friend a year ago and we were sitting in his living room when I noticed a picture frame sitting on a shelf. I went over to have a look, it was an old Wilkinson Sword shaving brush, nothing special with that, but right beside it was a fatboy.

I complimented him on the razor. He seemed surprised that I was interested in it. I told him about this hobby of ours. He said he had another old razor in a drawer somewhere that I could have if he could find it.

A couple weeks later he handed me a brown paper bag. Inside was a pristine Slim Adjustable, which just happened to be my birth year. He said it belonged to his dad who passed many years ago. I remember his dad from when I was a kid.

That is one razor that will never leave my den.

And that's a gift that should be cherished. One that carries lots of memories.

I have 4 razors that I cherish,
My Grandfathers 1910 Single Ring that my Brother gave me
My Dads Gillette Fatboy that my brother and I bought for his birthday and his Gem Micromatic Open Comb
My first razor that I bought with my Dad when I was 16, a Gillette Slim

I have my Grandfathers Seaforth shave mug with soap and his brush. The razor was my Grandmothers. Every so often I take them both for a spin. Now that I think about this weekend would be a good time to do just that.
31EFCF0C-3DFD-4DD7-96C1-109B38A486EC_1_105_c.jpeg
31EFCF0C-3DFD-4DD7-96C1-109B38A486EC_1_105_c.jpeg

In the threads or over the razor? Type of material to store them chamois or?
Oil threads, I just wipe mine with a lightly oiled cloth and put in draw. For a TTO or Adjustable, a drop of oil in the shaft, open and close a few times and put away. If you need to wrap, a small piece of soft cloth or good old newspaper.

My most cherished shaving item is a memory ..... my Dad teaching me how to shave during the year
of my Bar Mitzvah, 1968. He lovingly explained the importance of a good lather and a sharp blade.
Dad was a WW II hero, landing on Omaha Beach Normandy in the dawn hours of June 6, 1944.
He passed away in January 2011, and his memory is a blessing for me, my wife, my mom, my
sister, and all my family ..... every day.

To all my dear B&B friends ..... Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas. A beautiful season to you all.

Got myself a birth year tech, picked it up last year I have no idea how it shaves as I’m waiting to try it on my 50th, coming up in sept

Top Bottom