What's new

Cheap Shavette using Feather Blade vs Feather Artist SS - Is there a difference?

I have tried 2 shaves now with my £10 shavette using Wilkinson, Derby and Astra Platinum blades and they have trouble going through my beard. They pull on the hair rather than slicing though and sometimes the hair actually stops the blade. I do have a very tough beard (and sensitive skin unfortunately) which is why I wanted to try a straight razor style. I now have a pack of feather blades on order.

Also I have my Christmas present to choose and I keep reading good things about the Feather Artist Club Razors and am considering getting a Feather Artist Club SS and some Professional and Professional Super Blades. I have seen videos of people shaving with straight razors and Feather Artist club SS gliding through the beard in single passes which seems like magic compared to what I experienced. I hope they can do that on my wire beard.

However, I keep thinking ; if the Razor is just a holder for the blade is there really a difference between a £10 shavette using feather blades and a £100-£150 Feather Artist SS holder using a feather pro blade? Does the longer blade length and holder style really make a difference and are the Feather Artist Blades like the Pro and Pro super better than the feather blades you buy to use in a normal shavette?

I'd very much appreciate some advice.

Many thanks

ps

I also learned today to wait to become more proficient to do the chin and under the nose bit. Especially under the nose. I will not forget as I have a lovely cut there to remind me. I think you need a removable nose to get the angle ;)

The blades used in the Feather AC series are way more thick than the Feather DE blades so would have less 'chatter' and a much more smooth and comfortable shave. I have an AC SS and used another shavette with the thin blades and had terrible problems with blade stalls and chattering from the blade being light weight and flexible. There truly is nothing like a shavette or SE razor using the AC style blade because of that rigidity.

I have tried the Dovo Shavette and own both Feather AC SS and two AC DX razors, one with wood and one with resin scales.

In a nutshell: There is no comparison.

The Dovo shavette and similar devices are flimsy feeling and looking instruments that don’t hide their ancestry as hair scrapers.

The Feather DX is a no-sharpen straight razor that closely feels and handles like a straight razor.

The Feather AC SS falls in-between, but the scales feel flimsy and the modified edge that is supposed to stretch the skin made no difference to me; so I have a clear preference for the heftier Feather DX versions.

There are some cheaper (Korean) alternatives to the Feather DX, but in reviews and comparisons the Feather DX tends to come out as the preferred choice.

You can get a close shave from any of these devices, but if I was looking for a no-sharpen razor that handles and feels like a classic straight, my choice wouold be clear.

B.

The blades used in the Feather AC series are way more thick than the Feather DE blades so would have less 'chatter' and a much more smooth and comfortable shave. I have an AC SS and used another shavette with the thin blades and had terrible problems with blade stalls and chattering from the blade being light weight and flexible. There truly is nothing like a shavette or SE razor using the AC style blade because of that rigidity.

I have tried the Dovo Shavette and own both Feather AC SS and two AC DX razors, one with wood and one with resin scales.

In a nutshell: There is no comparison.

The Dovo shavette and similar devices are flimsy feeling and looking instruments that don’t hide their ancestry as hair scrapers.

The Feather DX is a no-sharpen straight razor that closely feels and handles like a straight razor.

The Feather AC SS falls in-between, but the scales feel flimsy and the modified edge that is supposed to stretch the skin made no difference to me; so I have a clear preference for the heftier Feather DX versions.

There are some cheaper (Korean) alternatives to the Feather DX, but in reviews and comparisons the Feather DX tends to come out as the preferred choice.

You can get a close shave from any of these devices, but if I was looking for a no-sharpen razor that handles and feels like a classic straight, my choice wouold be clear.

B.

Thanks guys.

The SS is supposed to have that rounded comfort end thing and the DX doesn’t. If money isn’t an issue would the DX still be the better option?

If money isn't an issue, the DX would be the best option. They are about the closest thing to a straight razor experience using the Feather AC format. However, for many, dropping $200 to try a razor may not be something one would want to do. The SS has that bump which makes it a little different and some folks like it and some think it only gets in the way. Try the CJB shavette (Maggard got them). It will set you back about $30 and it is a clone of the Feather RG, which was the version before Feather came out with the DX. It does not have the bump like the SS, but the sides of the blade is straight and so you get the feel of shaving with a wedge blade straight. Very efficient razor, even though it is a clone of an older design.

If money isn't an issue, the DX would be the best option. They are about the closest thing to a straight razor experience using the Feather AC format. However, for many, dropping $200 to try a razor may not be something one would want to do. The SS has that bump which makes it a little different and some folks like it and some think it only gets in the way. Try the CJB shavette (Maggard got them). It will set you back about $30 and it is a clone of the Feather RG, which was the version before Feather came out with the DX. It does not have the bump like the SS, but the sides of the blade is straight and so you get the feel of shaving with a wedge blade straight. Very efficient razor, even though it is a clone of an older design.

Thank you very much for your answer. Super helpful :)

Could you drop me a link please. I can’t even find a picture of a CJB folding razor. I can just about find a picture of the CJB Japanese style kamisori one.

Also I am in the UK so if a picture is hard to come by I’m not sure how easy they would be to get hold of here.

The CJB comes only in Kamisori style, however if you are industrious, you could peel off the handle and mount a regular straight scale to it like I did with the bottom razor in this pic:
DSC00750.JPG

The other option would be the IBC shavette and there are distributor in Europe somewhere. The IBC can take a half DE, injector, or Feather AC blade.
International Distributors

Your troubles with the shavette are more likely due to your technique than lack of sharpness on the blade. I would bet you will have the same troubles at first with any razor be it a shavette, Feather Artsit or a "real straight"

If you stick to any system your technique improves, and so will the shaves.

When new most of us suffer from what I call "dull razor" syndrome.

I have tried 2 shaves now with my £10 shavette using Wilkinson, Derby and Astra Platinum blades and they have trouble going through my beard. They pull on the hair rather than slicing though and sometimes the hair actually stops the blade. I do have a very tough beard (and sensitive skin unfortunately) which is why I wanted to try a straight razor style.
A handful of shaves if you've never used a shavette or straight is not something to base a long-term opinion on. You'll need at least 15-30 shaves before you develop the muscle memory to find and hold the angle. It sounds like your angle and/or pressure is way off. Unless you're from Krypton, your "tough" beard makes no real difference.

However, I keep thinking ; if the Razor is just a holder for the blade is there really a difference between a £10 shavette using feather blades and a £100-£150 Feather Artist SS holder using a feather pro blade?
In this particular case, there's a huge difference, but it's not price related. Your half-DE blade shavette is short, flexy, and bitey compared to a long blade shavette. Long blade shavettes shave closer to a straight. I'm in the camp that thinks DE-bladed shavettes are evil.

Does the longer blade length and holder style really make a difference and are the Feather Artist Blades like the Pro and Pro super better than the feather blades you buy to use in a normal shavette?
Humongous difference. Long bladed shavettes are an order of magnitude smoother and safer. There are other (better?) options than the Feather AC type razors.

There are shavettes that take much cheaper "Antelope" blades. You can get a razor and 10 blades shipped to your door for about $10 from AliExpress. They're not heirloom quality, but shave incredibly well.

And then there's my personal favorite, the Weck Sextoblade. They take commonly available hair shaper blades, and if you get the stainless steel medical version, it will easily outlive you. It's the closest thing to a real straight that I've found, but only after the blade has a few shaves on it. Brand new Personna Hair Shaper blades are wicked sharp.

Thanks guys.

The SS is supposed to have that rounded comfort end thing and the DX doesn’t. If money isn’t an issue would the DX still be the better option?

Yes, the scales of the Feather AC SS are too slim for my liking and I don’t get any measurable benefit from the “duck bill” edge of the Feather AC SS.

The Feather AC DX has proper (straight razor like) scales and balances much nicer in the hand than the Feather AC SS.

B.

I have used shavettes for 45 years. I found my Feather SS with new scales from a straight razor to give me the best of both worlds. Adds weight and balance that the standard SS doesn't have. It is my travel razor. I use the Kai mild pink blades and can really get a great shave. My primary razors are straight razors and I shave every day.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 52
I've recently heard about the Schick AC blades and razor. The razor looks very much like that of the AC DX. Anyone had experience with it? Balance and build quality? Availability in the US? Truly interchangeable?

My barber gave me a Schick shavette. It used Schick injector blades and compared to todays Feathers it was ancient. I used it to trim my beard. It loaded similar to the Feathers.

@A Cut Above , Thx; Now that historic Schick shavette with original injectors would be something to see. But, recently I'm seeing blades from Japan under the Schick label looking all the world like artist club. I've seen one (1) picture of a razor assembly with a package of the blades on a Google image pull. Which should be some kind of indication about availabilities at this time. The design of the blade lock appears very much like my Feather Artist's Club DX assembly. Maybe there's a new Japanese license between the Companys.

@A Cut Above , Thx; Now that historic Schick shavette with original injectors would be something to see. But, recently I'm seeing blades from Japan under the Schick label looking all the world like artist club. I've seen one (1) picture of a razor assembly with a package of the blades on a Google image pull. Which should be some kind of indication about availabilities at this time. The design of the blade lock appears very much like my Feather Artist's Club DX assembly. Maybe there's a new Japanese license between the Companys.
Schick make regular injector blades and Proline blades, which are indeed the same (approximate?) dimensions as the Feather, Samsung, Dorco blades. There are several threads about the Proline blades, not sure if they're in the SE or straight razor forum, but there's a wealth of information there.

Sent from my XT1685 using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago I donated the Schick shavette to the program that sent razors to our troops. I still had 3 cartridges of blades. By todays Feathers it was crude but worked

Top Bottom