What's new

Cheap Brushes

I have a couple of expensive new, unopened shaving soaps, which were presents. I want to use them up , but don't want to use my beaufiful badgers for the purpse. Can anyone recommend a good boar brush for the job? I went over to cream age ago and much prefer it.

Like @Chef455 I am a fan of Omega. If you want to short-cut the break-in process, and get great bang for the buck I can also highly recommend the RazoRock Blondie Boar Bristle Shaving Brush. It is inexpensive, made by Zenith, and the bleached bristles are surprisingly soft right out of the box.

I learned about Zenith brushes during the DECEMBOAR event. Apparently Zenith brushes have finer boar bristles than Omega. I am fairly certain Zenith makes the RazoRock Blondie Boar (verified in 2015). The bristles are bleached, making them softer than unbleached. I ordered the RazoRock in late December and it just arrived yesterday. I have soaked if in water for a few hours, hand lathered three times, and roughed the bristles on a towel a few times. The bristles are even softer after these steps, an

@Fuzzypeg , can we ask, why have nice badger brushes if you're not going to use them with your expensive shave soaps? Are you saving the brushes to use with ARKO? :confused1
I was converted to shaving cream ages ago. The soap tablets were presents, but I am not going to use badger brushes where lots of scrubbing is involved. Soap, of course, is far more economical!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
No soap, no matter how hard, need damage any badger brush, no matter how delicate or expensive. I use exclusively vintage triple milled soaps, some of which are decades old and very hard indeed. I use what, for me anyway, are high end brushes and they work well with no damage to the brushes whatsoever. Perhaps take a sliver of soap and soak it to soften it into a type of cream before lathering if you are concerned about possible brush damage but with respect I think any such fears are groundless 👍

You obviously asked for boar brushes, but if you’re into badger a synthetic like a Razorock brush would cost about the same and feel closer to what you’re used to.

Not not to mention being able to skip the process of de-stankifying a fresh boar brush.

But if you really have your gear set on boar, Omega for sure.

The water is extremely hard where I live, and it is a heck of of a job working up a decent lather. The cheap Omega is ideal and a good suggestion. Taylor's, Trumper's & Harris' creams are miles nicer, whichever flavour you opt for.

My first boar brush was an Omega Pro 48. I still have it 8 yrs later and while I don't use it a lot anymore, I don't see getting rid of it. I shampooed it a couple of times when new to de-funkify the barnyard/wet dog smell before using using it on my face. After that I just used it and still enjoy it.

The Pro 48 does have a big knot at 27mm dia. x ~64mm loft, so if you're not a fan of big brushes it may not(knot?) be for you. Good luck!

Ok! So, go to WalMart and pick up their Van Der Hagen boar brush. It's the cheapest brush out there, but it is a pretty good brush. I started with VDH razor and brush, even their blades, but once I found other razors(Parker 91R), and blades(Wilkinson Sword from Germany) out there, I quit using them. I have an Omega boar that I use now, as the VDH will shed from time to time, after about a year or so of use. Decent brush for a starter..just break it in like any other boar...

I have a couple of expensive new, unopened shaving soaps, which were presents. I want to use them up , but don't want to use my beaufiful badgers for the purpse. Can anyone recommend a good boar brush for the job? I went over to cream age ago and much prefer it.

Great subject…for a discussion in the “Shaving Brushes” forum. :001_cool:

B.

Top Bottom