What's new

CG Level 3 first impressions

Hello all! I picked up a level 3 SS Charcoal Goods razor a few weeks ago and have been shaving with it to get a good feel. I purchased it after owning a level 2 for some time and wanting something a little more efficient for the multiple day growth.

I really wanted the maze handle due to already having a 3.5" handle in the Florian style for my level 2. Plus, I love CG's more "artistic" handles. With Brian not producing them anymore, I figured I could splurge and spend a little more. The maze was sold out in SS, so I purchased the razor with a bishop handle, and separately purchased a copper maze handle. Nothing wrong with having 3 CG handles! Plus, the mixed metal look is pretty cool. I had read many people stating the CG level 3 is one of the most efficient razors they own/have used. That kind of worried me! I regularly shave with a blackbird, and the thought of anything more efficient than that makes me imagine a bloodbath. First impression from the packaging was good as expected from a high end razor. Small tin with foam cutouts that fit the razor perfectly. The little cardboard coaster is a cool use of otherwise wasted space, but not something I'll ever actually use. Included is a tuck of Astra SP blades. I usually start new razors with Gillette Platinums to get a starting point. I loaded a blade and did a side by side comparison to my level 2. There is a slight increase in gap, but it seems the biggest difference is a good amount of positive blade exposure. The next morning I lathered up some Zingari man "The Explorer", and went at it. I was trying to keep a super shallow angle because i was scared to remove all of my skin, but continued to end up at a more neutral angle. While the shave was efficient, it was not smooth. I had a ton of uncomfortable tugging, especially around my chin where the hair is more dense. I have a suspicion it was my lather, because shortly after, I noticed it drying out around my lips. Even though the road was not smooth getting there, I ended up with a close comfortable shave. Minimal irritation and no blood loss. The next three shaves were similar, with each progressively getting better. I was still dealing with some tugging, but less each shave as I became more comfortable with the razor. The first two shaves were with a Gillette Platinum, and the third-fourth shaves were with an Astra SP. The fifth and most recent shave I switched to B&M reserve Waves and a Wizamet SI blade. It mowed through 4 days growth like nobody's business! It was by far the smoothest shave I've had with this razor so far. The end result was near BBS with no irritation in two passes. Compared to my other razors, this is the king for efficiency. I did use a steeper angle this time which seemed to work better. The blackbird is closest in comparison, but doesn't leave my face stubble free for as long.

Final thoughts, this is a beautifully made razor that shaves as well as it looks. I prefer the matte look over polished because it's "tougher". It seems like every polished razor I have develops micro scratches that bother the hell out of me. This is far from the smoothest razor I've used, but it is the most efficient. And, it is getting smoother with more use. If you love uber efficient razors and don't mind blade feel, you would love this!
20200509_110506.jpg
20200509_110151.jpg
20200509_110147.jpg
20200509_110141.jpg

Top Bottom