What's new

Cellaring tobacco

Also, you can probably get them at your grocery store than at Michael's.

Edit: okay, at 50% off, maybe not...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Cellaring tobacco can be a crapshoot, but it's not nearly as difficult as cellaring wine and far less prone to heartache.

To vacuum seal your jars get one of these and a vacuum sealer with a vacuum port:
Food saver wide mouth jar vacuum adapter

Amazon.com: FoodSaver FCARWJAH-000 Kit Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer with Regular Sealer and Accessory Hose, White: Kitchen & Dining

I've put all of my jarred tobacco under vacuum with these years ago and have never had a problem with the jars.
Well...you don't want to vacuum all the air out. Air is needed inside the jar for anaerobic aging to take place. If you create a vacuum, the tobacco will be just fine...but it will not have "aged" the way you probably had hoped.

Well...you don't want to vacuum all the air out. Air is needed inside the jar for anaerobic aging to take place. If you create a vacuum, the tobacco will be just fine...but it will not have "aged" the way you probably had hoped.
Anaerobic is in the absence of oxygen

It appears I misspoke. I've been quoting it wrong all these years. This article from Russ Ouellette basically says...either way is fine.
No worries mate. Just looked up the origins of the word, figured it be Greek and I was right but quite interesting.
Word origin: from French anaérobie, coined in 1863 by Louis Pasteur, from Greek an- ("without") + aer ("air") + bios ("life")

Foodsaver vacuum packers really don't pull all the air out anyway. They do alright, but are far from a perfect vacuum.
That's why I recommend them.
Preventing aging aside;
Pulling a high vacuum would remove the water (cold boil) and dry out the tobacco, leaving only propylene glycol and other such non-water liquids and moisturizers and changing the flavor of the tobacco.

Seems I read a note (from GLP maybe?) somewhere about aging tobaccos and that there are effects and benefits from both aerobic and anaerobic. Vacuuming may get you out of the aerobic phase to anaerobic faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems I read a note (from GLP maybe?) somewhere about aging tobaccos and that there are effects and benefits from both aerobic and anaerobic. Vacuuming may get you out of the aerobic phase to anaerobic faster?

I think you are refering to this.

To vacuum seal your jars get one of these and a vacuum sealer

Well...you don't want to vacuum all the air out.

Foodsaver is MegaMaid.

I failed to quote the correct people above when I made my initial foray into this thread...
I meant to state that if you wanted a vacuum; instead of heating a jar, a food saver would be an option that would not require heat changes to the tobacco.
I also don't intend to smoke my tobaccos that I have cellared for decades, the lengthened amount of time that they would be required to have to undergo a similar, but not identical change is insignificant to my purposes.

Additionally; I do want to add that anyone with shredded cheese, vacuum sealing shredded cheese in a jar with a food saver delays mold growth by a large margin. I've had shredded cheese from the same batch stay fresh and mold free for six months and longer when the rest of the batch not vacuum sealed went moldy within two months.
I hope, although the molds are likely different molds, that the vacuum sealing would retard the formation of mold on tobacco as well.

Even though I don't heat the jars, I find they create some vacuum on their own. I have opened more than one jar from the shelf after a length of time and had a distinct POP when removing the seal. The tobacco must be using up some of the air inside.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Even though I don't heat the jars, I find they create some vacuum on their own. I have opened more than one jar from the shelf after a length of time and had a distinct POP when removing the seal. The tobacco must be using up some of the air inside.

I had one that did the opposite and popped the lid across the room! Well maybe not that far, but the lid definitely popped itself off.

Top Bottom