What's new

Castle Forbes sample.underwhelmed

I had a small sample of CF Lavender that I got from Maggards not too long ago and finally wanted to see how this cream performed. I have to say the Lavender scent was excellent and to my nose smelled exactly like Mike's Hungarian Lavender which is a good thing. I used a healthy almond sized amount in my lather bowl and went to town. Maybe it's because I've used nothing but tallow based artisan soaps for the last few years but I found the lather to just be ok. Not bad by any means but no where near the slickness, density, post shave of a Mikes, Eufros premium tallow, or P&B. I'm happy I tried it though since now I know I can get the exact same scent with Mikes HL with the performance I like. I was a little bummed to be honest since it was something I wanted to try for a long while and it was a bit of a let down as compared to my normal rotation. Id give it a B with my other choices comping in at an A+

I just started using creams and it took me awhile to get them dialed in. The lather looked good but once I started shaving I could tell it was to dry. Once I started using enough water I found that I really enjoyed them. Most of us start with soaps and have so many we love we don't even consider trying creams and we miss out on another great part of the wet shaving experience.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If you used a 'healthy almond sized' chunk in a lather bowl it was almost certainly underhydrated. That's enough CF to fill a large soup bowl to overflowing with lather. Use a pea-sized amount and throw the water to it. It's the thirstiest soap I've ever encountered. The lather should glisten and shine.

Cheers, Steve

How much water is enough is something I always question. I find it takes a few times before I get it right, usually having to cross the line into the too wet side, then dial it back down.

Sent via mobile - Chris

How much water is enough is something I always question. I find it takes a few times before I get it right, usually having to cross the line into the too wet side, then dial it back down.

Sent via mobile - Chris

That's how I dial in all my soaps & the few creams I use. I take it to the point of too much water with test lathers, then dial it back.

CF Lavender is my favorite cream, and a small pea size dab will suck up plenty of water, leaving me with enough lather for my usual 2 pass face/3 pass neck shave with a nice amount going down the drain when it's done.

Believe me I added a ton of water a little at a time. This lather was more to experiment with CF than to actually shave so I took my time with it. I've read all the reviews and watched all the YouTube videos on it so I knew what to expect. It was a nice voluminous good looking lather but it just fell short from what I was used to. I'll try again though.

Castle forbes is the only cream or soap I can get away with any amount of against the grain. That said I'm more of a soap guy I guess.

Top Bottom