What's new

Carts vs DE WTG efficiency

Hi all, just recently moved from carts to DE. i started for now with the Gillette King C razor and blades.
i just do WTG pass in order to learn the technique, and to avoid irritation for now. but ,i dont get a close shave (WTG) with the DE like i got with the carts. i also tried different blades even feather blades (i assume they are the sharpest ) , but still i can feel that the shave is not as close as carts.
i read somewhere that an open comb razor should give a closer shave than closed comb. is it true?

If you are shaving every day, I don't think an open comb is going to change your shave very much. There is a lot more to how efficient a razor is than just whether or not it has a safety bar or open comb. I've not shaved with that particular razor before, but I think it is on the milder side. Trying different blades was probably a good place to start.

It's been a long time since I shaved with a cart, but if you think you have found the correct angle and are still not getting as close a shave as you like, a more efficient razor would be worth considering. Choices depend on how much you want to spend.

I would also suggest you consider doing your WTG pass with good technique and then re-lathering and doing an across the grain pass. I was prone to irritation and ingrowns with carts and in some areas going against the grain can cause me irritation, but across the grain hasn't really caused any issues in my own experience.

Are you shaving with both the cart' and the DE with short overlapping buffing strokes?

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You need a more aggressive razor. I was in the same boat.

I would suggest a Game Changer .84 OC. Open combs are in general more aggressive but usually also allow a closer shave.

You will need multiple passes for the closest shave and three passes will usually get you there; gradual reduction is the approach with the DE. Try two passes first and see if that gets you a close shave.
The Shave Wiki, link top left of the page, will help you understand how to get a good shave from a DE razor.

i just do WTG pass in order to learn the technique, and to avoid irritation for now. but ,i dont get a close shave (WTG) with the DE like i got with the carts. i also tried different blades even feather blades (i assume they are the sharpest ) , but still i can feel that the shave is not as close as carts.
i read somewhere that an open comb razor should give a closer shave than closed comb. is it true?
I’m no DE expert (only been at it a couple months myself), but I have to respectfully disagree with those who have said you need a more aggressive razor. I don’t find that my WTG pass gets me any closer a shave than going WTG with my old cartridge. And frankly, this shouldn’t be surprising either. WTG with a cart, you’re probably running 3-5 blades over the area, while you’re only running 1 blade over it with a DE. Where the DE shave really excels is when you go XTG and ATG. You’ll get a much closer shave than you ever got with a cart, and with much less irritation once your technique is good (or so I’m told - my technique isn’t there yet, lol).

I agree with those who have said you need to have a go at an XTG pass.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It's good you have mapped your beard and that is a very important step IMO.
I would suggest at least try different shaves to see what you are comfortable with.
My routine is WTG + ATG + pickups.
Try a 2 pass WTG & XTG for a week and then WTG + ATG for a week and pick the most comfortable for a while and just in enjoy it . ATG is the money pass for closeness if that is what your after. Use a good balm also for post shave will help in shave feel.

You will need multiple passes for the closest shave and three passes will usually get you there; gradual reduction is the approach with the DE. Try two passes first and see if that gets you a close shave.
The Shave Wiki, link top left of the page, will help you understand how to get a good shave from a DE razor.
Gradual reduction is the key here and it took a while for it to "click" with me (I've only been DE shaving for 9 months after using carts for 25 years). A WTG pass is never very close but that's OK because I'll gradually reduce it with my XTG and then ATG passes.

I bet you were applying a lot more pressure with the cart compared to DE, so it's not surprising that the cart gave you a closer shave.

You can always add another WTG pass after your first one to get closer without irritation.

For me an open comb gives a closer shave than safety bar. I can notice the difference between the open comb and safety bar plates on my Karve.

I typically do 3 passes, the typical WTG, XTG and ATG in most areas. On my upper and lower lips I substitute a second XTG pass in the opposite direction. Result is far better than what I get with a cart!!

:a29::a29::a29:

When I use a 3 or 5 blade cart, it may be a tad closer on the first pass in general.

My cart shave and my DE shave are both 3 passes. The cart is usually faster by about 5 minutes since it is usually harder for me to cut myself, but I get more ingrowns if I use a cart for more than 3-4 shaves in a row. Both get me to BBS.

Hello.

I can get a closer result after a WTG pass with quite a few other razors in my collection compared to the King C. After using on and off over the last 18 months I regard the King C as a fairly mild razor but there are razors that are milder again! However, I see an advantage with this when using the King C because I’m likelier to do an ATG and XTG pass on my neck when I shave with the King C. I generally only do a WTG and XTG pass on the neck with other razors in the collection.

I’d echo Ron R’s suggestion first. Hopefully you’ll find the King C to be quite forgiving when trying the other passes.

When you’re feeling ready try some more aggressive razors out. Naturally I’m going to recommend the R41 but at the same time I also like and would recommend the Fatip Grande, Merkur Futur (especially in the polished chrome finish as the King C Gillette handle isn’t worlds apart from the Merkur Futur handle in the polished chrome) and the Rockwell 6s.

If you want a closer shave on your WTG pass I can recommend a Fatip Grande OC or a Parker Semi Slant loaded with a sharp and smooth blade like Lord Silver Star.
These razors are not overly aggressive but they are very effective

As a SR and DE user with very tough whiskers, but ultra sensitive skin I have to say that two cart' manufacturers have sought to address the bloodless wet shave. First Wilkinson Sword with their Protector and more recently Gillette with their SkinGuard. These two innovative designs have helped countless shavers who are on blood thinners and/or have serious skin medical issues and cannot afford any nicks and cuts. In my mind, for their research/product development, they are to be congratulated for helping and enabling these shavers enjoy a 'wet shave.'

Hi all, just recently moved from carts to DE. i started for now with the Gillette King C razor and blades.

The quickest way to DE efficient comfortable shaves is the three pass shave. WTG-XTG-ATG. The first and second passes are Whisker Length Reduction. The ATG is the finishing shave pass. The three pass is the quickest way to learn DE.
Cart shaving requires the cartridge to be pressed into the skin and longer strokes with a loose wrist. De requires the wrist to be locked with shorter strokes Above the skin. A proper three pass shave will than open more options to your shave.

The advantage of OC open comb vs CC closed comb. Lather management. Only a straight has better lather management. Once a proper shave is learnt and developed with good to excellent Technique OC has an advantage for a closer shave. A slant razor will also shave with more efficiency if your technical skill is good to excellent.

I started using OC’s early in my journey and sold all my CC’s.

Top Bottom