What's new

Carbon Steel pan. WHat did I do?

Gents, what's the consensus on seasoning with peanut oil? We cook with it a lot because of its high smoke point and low aroma and flavour. So as not to influence the dish too much. Otherwise it is olive oil for other things.
High smoke point (or saturated fats, like animal fats or coconut oil) are just the opposite of what you need for seasoning.

To season a pan you have to polimerise the fat (turn it into a hard solid layer) and that only happens above the smoking point of the fat. If the fat has really high smoking point it will take a lot more heat to polimerise it. Saturated fats don't polimerise as well as unsaturated ones.

That's why flax seed oil gets so much praise: it has a really low smoke point and is really unsaturated.

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

High smoke point (or saturated fats, like animal fats or coconut oil) are just the opposite of what you need for seasoning.

To season a pan you have to polimerise the fat (turn it into a hard solid layer) and that only happens above the smoking point of the fat. If the fat has really high smoking point it will take a lot more heat to polimerise it. Saturated fats don't polimerise as well as unsaturated ones.

That's why flax seed oil gets so much praise: it has a really low smoke point and is really unsaturated.

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

Thank you for the great information.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Instead of using the oven and flax seed oil you could try rubbing on a little olive oil before cooking. A little rub, a little smoke and repeat a couple of times before cooking breakfast. Builds the seasoning pretty quickly and doesn't drive people from the house.
$Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20170114091706.gif

I just received a chainmail scrubber and just have to say it works great

Making chainmail is a hobby of mine, so I made mine. I had three different ones, but my mother accidentally fed one to the garbage disposal. They work great on Pyrex glass pans as well.

Making chainmail is a hobby of mine, so I made mine. I had three different ones, but my mother accidentally fed one to the garbage disposal. They work great on Pyrex glass pans as well.

How is the new garbage disposal working? Did you have any issues putting installing it?

Polyunsaturated fats are the best for seasoning your pan. Mono, and saturated, fats will take longer and require a higher temp to polymerize.

How is the new garbage disposal working? Did you have any issues putting installing it?

It wasn't to had to install. I did forget to take the plug out for the dishwasher drain pipe and filled the dish washer with water. Luckily I caught before it flooded the kitchen.
You should heard old one with all of these tiny chain rings being chewed up. Sounded like a beast trying to climb out of the sink!
Here is a picture of my new one that replaced the one that got chewed up. A little less than 1000 individual rings.
$tmp_7828-20151105_192533-1918040580.jpg

It wasn't to had to install. I did forget to take the plug out for the dishwasher drain pipe and filled the dish washer with water. Luckily I caught before it flooded the kitchen.
You should heard old one with all of these tiny chain rings being chewed up. Sounded like a beast trying to climb out of the sink!
Here is a picture of my new one that replaced the one that got chewed up. A little less than 1000 individual rings.
View attachment 716952

It is cool that you make those.

I had to put a new disposal in a few months ago. An olive jar lid did mine old one in....

but my mother accidentally fed one to the garbage disposal.

When I owned a boat repair business guys would always come and and start off with "My wife was driving the boat when...." We knew who was really "driving the boat when". Based on my experience your placement of blame is highly suspect. :laugh: :laugh::w00t:

Your scrubber looks real good. Chainmail is something I have wanted to do for quite some time.

Top Bottom