What's new

Mick's one pan wonders

I love to cook but I am not big on cleaning up a lot of pots and pans. Not that I don't mind clean up, I just would rather "do it in 1 pan". Hey, I washed up in a hospital kitchen when I was 15 so dishes don't scare me.

----------------------------------

Tonight's one pan wonder.

North African lamb and couscous.

I doubt that anyone from North Africa would recognize this but to me, it is one of my favorite 1 pan wonders.

Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1-2 hours

Ingredients:

1lb boneless lamb cut across the grain into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
1/3 cup AP flour to coat lamb

Seasoning for lamb:
Salt
Black pepper
Dill weed
Basil
Oregano
Mint leaves (or tarragon or cilantro)

6 tbl olive oil
3/4 cup couscous
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock (boiled bones or canned)
1 cup water
2 Carrots sliced or julienned.
2 stocks celery diced
1/2 onion sliced
4 garlic cloves minced
1/2 bell pepper (red or yellow) diced
6 brussel sprouts quartered
1/2 can artichoke hearts (or heart of palm)
Juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime
1-2 tbl honey

Put oil into pan. Heat iron pan.

Season sliced lamb then dredge in flour. Place into a hot iron skillet and cook until browned.

Deglaze pan with wine. When it comes to a boil, add stock and water. Bring back to boil. Add veggies. Reduce heat, cover and cook until lamb and veg are tender. Add honey and lemon/lime juice. Add more liquid as needed. Add couscous, cook according to directions.

This will easily feed 4. If you need to feed more, use more liquid and couscous.

proxy.php

This week a down-home Southern Low Country favorite is on the menu....Chicken Bog. Recipes can and do vary a lot. For those wishing to try this wonderful dish without a lot of kitchen angst, here is a decent recipe.
Chicken Bog Recipe

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
That sounds good. Kinda jambalaya'ish. Going to have to look for Parmesan rind. Never noticed that before.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the recipe Mick, it sounds easy enough and looks pretty good in the pan too.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Going to have to look for Parmesan rind. Never noticed that before.

As Dave said, it's pretty much something you wind up with after grating a hunk of Parmeggiano Reggiano down to the rind. However, I have seen just the rind sold at stores that sell grated PR (that they grate). I don't know why in the world anyone would want to spend real money on pre-grated PR, but it's their money.

Top Bottom