Caprese salad ... balsamic or not?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What’s next-
1660261043489.png

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Cool, with the salad, but... I'm going to assume your dropping some cheddar on the fish eggs. Top of the heap yes please. A gold plated spoon, some ice and some caviar. I'm guessing most people won't understand or care what any of that is all about. Caviar at that level, typically, is a statement of where your headed.

A) You signed up for this & you know where you're going.

B) Hold the !@#$ on we're taking you someplace.

C) We're simple folk, you're wayyyyy off the beaten path, have some more vodka.

D) Eating it by yourself is your prerogative. If I'm going forward with GOOD caviar I want friends, business partners and CREDIT for it.

Otherwise, yes please dumb it down. Some fat (toast points, blini, boiled eggs, butter, or creme fraiche) and,yes possibly, some acid (lemon wedge, or see again creme fraiche and why it's a perfect accompaniment to caviar) the stuffs darn salty after all.

I think one of the greatest things about being a human is being able to put something into your mouth and have it surpass simple sustenance. It can evolve (or devolve depending on your point of view) into something exquisite and consumed often for that reason alone. I've never asked my dogs if they prefer over easy or poached.
Good caviar, probably sevruga. No cheese or anything else, just eggs. Cheap caviar is nice on a spoonful of sour cream nestled in a Belgian endive leaf. I never understood the toast, egg, etc. routine. I also never understood dunking oysters. A squeeze of lemon to ensure they are alive and a small twist of pepper.

Made my first Caprese today. I think I can see how top-quality ingredients are all you need for a great dish.

Like pizza, really good tomatoes are probably the most important bit: the foundation you build on. I only had supermarket mozzarella & olive oil which aren't the best but the sweet home-grown tomatoes made it work.

I sneaked in some very thinly sliced chorizo torn up into bits. Not too much to overpower the other ingredients. Will definitely be making that again :)

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For lunch I made a caprese of halved grape tomatoes, sliced boconcini mozzarella, chiffonade of fresh basil, grey salt, and terrific olive oil. Then there was a sandwich of applewood smoked turkey, Swiss cheese, Duke's mayonnaise, Roland Dijon, and sliced heirloom tomato in King's Hawaiian rolls. The sandwiches were great for mopping the last bits, of oil, salt, and basil. I could do it all over.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's that time of year again ...
Fresh tomatoes
20230830_151555.jpg

Fresh basil
20230830_151648.jpg

Fresh mozzarella
20230830_151834.jpg

Evoo ...
20230830_151922.jpg

... I'll tag @Marco and see if I make him hungry. :)

Last edited:
We always prepare ours sans Balsamic and serve with table-shared dip saucer or creamer of Denissimo, allowing folks to enjoy as they please.

As mentioned in numerous previous posts, guests enjoying the dish is my objective however they enjoy it (within reason).

For me, extra basil and a good dousing of balsamic glaze. I mean A LOT of balsamic. One of my favourite foods. I could eat it as a starter every day.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Party pleaser for your next potluck - cook off some cheese tortellini (tri color look nice) cool them down, make little skewers with a cherry or grape tomato, bocconcini and a basil leaf woven in. Balsamic = dealer's choice. Easy happy finger food. You're welcome.:a23:

Last edited:
Fresh from the garden tomatoes deserve fresh from the garden basil and fresh mozzarella. A sprinkle of salt, fresh ground pepper and a drizzle of really good EVO.

NO BALSAMIC.

Sorry. I take my Caprese a bit too seriously.

I'll be making that tonight to go with a deep dish pizza. I've been adding slices of cucumber and a splash of red wine vinegar, but I prefer just olive oil. A little bit of lemon or lime juice would work also.

Top Bottom