What's new

Can't find a Turkey Hone thread so here it is.

Hey @cotedupy have you ever used turkey stone as a nagura on a fine India? I've had a few and this thought stick me and is imagine you might have tested the waters half(or whole) pissed, in all usages in the Anglophone world. I thought I was going to smooth a new surface prep on a Grecian stone(minor scratches) and rubbed my new Turkish stone on it to buff the tiny scratches but it stayed leaving dust like I was running Mikawa naguras on novaculite. This stone for all practical purposes is hard af but this thing made mud in 2 seconds. Here's the weird part, and what I'm trying to figure out, it doesn't really kick grit when I'm sharpening knives on it, and the Grecian certainly doesn't. I was flattening hideaway stones earlier and that Grecian gave up slurry the way a trans ark does(220# diamond plate worn completely out) would. I had a couple charnwoods go easily but either that turkey hit that specific Grecian right(dry), or something. T'was like rubbing coticules together dry. Just tons of dust instantly. It stuck because they are oil stones but the turkey(I guess it's what was shedding) "mud"(not really what'd I call it) built up insanely fast, way faster than my slowest coticule. Ever experienced this? Anyone? What is the cause? That turkey doesn't really slurry even with heavy knife pressure. I didn't rub steel on it but by jove I will. The natural world in amazing. This insanity is why I love naturals. There is no answer. Figure out your rock or don't, that's it. I enjoy simple things. Chaos is simple, pure, and honest. Gotta love that.

Last edited:
If you start lapping it you should get a Sulphur smell. It was faint in my really hard fine labeled one.

That one turned white in SG also and still drinks oil now.
It absolutly smells like sulfer(and coal oil) before I lapped it and still. It lightened a little bit when I flattened it(and became more translucent) but it's still very dark. I might get a Jerry can of denatured alcohol but I'll have to check it's effects on calcites.. I understand that that's what gives turkey stone their friability and pretty veins/ speckles. I really like the trout type colors under the sun but I can't see them inside. I put it in sg but it made 0 difference. I think this stone was soaked and fairly flattened. It's just a weird rock. I like weird rocks.

Just bought this from a person I believe is on this forum. I'm trying to work up a second one to get shipped with it.
Screenshot_20230318-005349_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20230318-005333_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20230318-005319_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20230318-005308_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20230318-005258_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20230318-005247_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20230318-005238_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20230318-005228_eBay.jpg

Stones came in, the light one is actually surprisingly hard and fairly fine but I sure would shave off it. Really (micro) toothy edge. Haven't tried the dark one yet but the small pieces are from the same stone.

20230402_153211.jpg20230402_153214.jpg20230402_153217.jpg20230402_153252.jpg20230402_153241.jpg

Honed a knife on the darker one. Light slurry on the side that was oil free then oil on the other side, which was pretty burnished. This one is harder than the other and surprisingly fine. Great stone.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
@Empire straights @cotedupy you guys may have been right about this stone being a turkey. It turned white after a simple green bath, but zero smells while lapping, and it’s absolutely as hard as a translucent Arkansas. It’s on an oil IV at the moment, when it’s finished I’ll test it out and see if I can say for sure what it is.
183C4E9F-2D88-4835-8E79-487FC6A8C3E4.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
@Empire straights @cotedupy you guys may have been right about this stone being a turkey. It turned white after a simple green bath, but zero smells while lapping, and it’s absolutely as hard as a translucent Arkansas. It’s on an oil IV at the moment, when it’s finished I’ll test it out and see if I can say for sure what it is. View attachment 1647274
Turkey. About 50% of mine smelled of sulfur, the other half not. The harder ones generally finer.

@Empire straights @cotedupy you guys may have been right about this stone being a turkey. It turned white after a simple green bath, but zero smells while lapping, and it’s absolutely as hard as a translucent Arkansas. It’s on an oil IV at the moment, when it’s finished I’ll test it out and see if I can say for sure what it is. View attachment 1647274

Yep, that's a Turkish all day long from where I'm sitting. Sweet!

It looks potentially like you might have a dark and light combi effect there too - darker would be finer, lighter coarser. I have one like that, it's quite cool:

The lack of smell would be explained by a couple of things: Firstly different people have different olfactory perception thresholds for different compounds. And different Turkish smell different amounts.

Sulphurous smells in rocks don't come from the rock itself as such. It's from microscopic pockets of Hydrogen Sulphide trapped within them, which get released if you lap through, or smash them up in some way. Sometimes you get this it igneous or volcanic rocks, but I think more common would be in rocks (like Turkish) which are formed initially from organic marine deposits. i.e. basically the smell of tiny sea creatures rotting hundreds of millions of years ago.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It looks potentially like you might have a dark and light combi effect there too - darker would be finer, lighter coarser. I have one like that, it's quite cool:
I think that’s just where it was in a fitted box at some point. The sides and bottom had that black putty that you see in old crude paddle stones.

Looks almost as pure as the little 3x1" one I had (have? I'd have to check)... that was a passable razor finisher.

edit: Checked and surprisingly, yes I still have it.

I have one that is like a small brick that finishes a razor well. I forget what the sg was but it was quite high. (edit: found it 2.6179)

Top Bottom