What's new

Canned Foam: Barbasol vs Gillette Foamy

this question is not a flame bait intended of shave soaps, creams, etc. Nor am I trying to stir things up. This is strictly a Barbasol and Gillette Foamy observation, since I happened to purchase a can of Foamy about a month ago (i mean it was like a dollar and change at Target when I also bought the Shave Moisture brush) only to learn how much people disliked it with DE shaving. I have seen some like Barbasol brand though. New to shave soaps/creams and a scientist at heart, I keep an open mind and just wanted to see the ingredient comparison.

I used a Conair hot foam lather machine (it was like $20 when I bought it, not $80-100) with some Gillette Foamy Sensitive yesterday and today and it hasn't been a bad shave for a quick shave.

I did a quick search of the differences between Gillette and Barbasol and both are almost identical ingredients.

Original Barbasol
  1. Water,
  2. Stearic Acid
  3. Triethanolamine,
  4. Isobutane
  5. Laureth-23
  6. Fragrance
  7. Propane
  8. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Gillette Foamy Sensitive
  1. Water
  2. Stearic Acid
  3. Triethanolamine,
  4. Isobutane
  5. Laureth-23
  6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
  7. Propane
  8. fragrance
  9. BHT

BHT seems to be a synthetic Vitamin E analogue for the "sensitive" version. They kinda look the same to me. This definitely must be case of YMMV personal preference as I believe the last ingredients on the list are probably trace amounts.

Interesting to see that the first ingredient is water. I plan to keep this around in case i need a very quick shave, as it's very convenient. I will continue to try other soaps and creams, though.

For me, the Gillette Foamy was too dry. I preferred the Barbasol, when I used canned shave cream. I'll probably buy a can of Barbasol for when I use my Atra.

a kick in the crotch versus a kick in the face.

tough choice.

Both choices are less than ideal so it really doesn't matter which one you use. Both provide an inferior shave.

I always found that Gillette Foamy just kind of sat on top of my skin and as a previous poster has noted, was kind of dry even after I wet my face. Barbasol seemed creamier and worked into my skin/beard more. But I more often used Foamy because they made a lemon/lime (Barbasol had discontinued their Lime scent) and scent trumped shave. Now that I am converted to DE I have found several lime scents of real shaving cream that I am trying.

I have a couple of cans of Shulton OS cream--I think that they're great. No complaints about Barbasol either. In fact, it's quite nice paired with the Conair hot lather machine. I have one of those too. Nothing to be ashamed of.

foamy by a large margin. barbasol smells okay and feels great in your hand but i never got a close shave with it. like i had perpetual stubble and i'm not even a hairy guy. i don't even need to shave everyday. foamy red smells okay too. the cream doesn't feel as full as barbasol but it shaves much closer. i'm using kiss my face lavender now (foamy ran out and barbasol sucked) and it is a much closer shave than both. will i buy any again? nah! i have an electric that shaves closer than barbasol.

Last edited:
I have not tried any Barbasol since I started fooling with premium creams and now shave sticks. I have changed so many parts of my shave routine (back to a DE razor, sampler packs of blades) that a performance comparison to my shaving "dark ages" would not be objective.

My chief complaint with both these products is the sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). It smells bad to me. I know the smell because I am in the chemical industry and I used to work with the stuff. I can't get past the smell, it is cloying and lasts a long time after use.

Neither for me, thank you...As far as ingredients, most of them will be very close and in fact >80% of them will be water (imagine 80% of your $$ goes to buy water). But this is true of even the best of cremes.

As for BHT and Vitamin E...They are nothing similar:

Structure of DHT
View attachment 106600

Structure of Vitamin E
View attachment 106601

BHT is Butylated Hydroxy Toluene. Yes, it can act as an antioxidant, but it is not vitamin E or any other. Given the choice, I would much better have vitamin E than this artificial junk :thumbdown.

Hope this helps,
Robert

this question is not a flame bait intended of shave soaps, creams, etc. Nor am I trying to stir things up. This is strictly a Barbasol and Gillette Foamy observation, since I happened to purchase a can of Foamy about a month ago (i mean it was like a dollar and change at Target when I also bought the Shave Moisture brush) only to learn how much people disliked it with DE shaving. I have seen some like Barbasol brand though. New to shave soaps/creams and a scientist at heart, I keep an open mind and just wanted to see the ingredient comparison.

I used a Conair hot foam lather machine (it was like $20 when I bought it, not $80-100) with some Gillette Foamy Sensitive yesterday and today and it hasn't been a bad shave for a quick shave.

I did a quick search of the differences between Gillette and Barbasol and both are almost identical ingredients.

Original Barbasol
  1. Water,
  2. Stearic Acid
  3. Triethanolamine,
  4. Isobutane
  5. Laureth-23
  6. Fragrance
  7. Propane
  8. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Gillette Foamy Sensitive
  1. Water
  2. Stearic Acid
  3. Triethanolamine,
  4. Isobutane
  5. Laureth-23
  6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
  7. Propane
  8. fragrance
  9. BHT

BHT seems to be a synthetic Vitamin E analogue for the "sensitive" version. They kinda look the same to me. This definitely must be case of YMMV personal preference as I believe the last ingredients on the list are probably trace amounts.

Interesting to see that the first ingredient is water. I plan to keep this around in case i need a very quick shave, as it's very convenient. I will continue to try other soaps and creams, though.

Didn't mean for any confusion on what I posted about BHT, in that BHT behaves similar to vitamin E in the oxidation arena and is not naturally occuring. That's why I thought the term "Analogue" and "Synthetic" were critical and appropriate.

They kinda look the same to me
This was reference to the ingredient list, not BHT in that they were chiral or isomers or similiar (in another way but intended behavior).

I still have the molecular model organic chemisty set that I used in college. I thought it would be great as decor and for my kids to play with. The version I had was just too cool to sell or toss.

Got it...thanks for the clarification. Kids love those sets

Robert

Didn't mean for any confusion on what I posted about BHT, in that BHT behaves similar to vitamin E in the oxidation arena and is not naturally occuring. That's why I thought the term "Analogue" and "Synthetic" were critical and appropriate.

This was reference to the ingredient list, not BHT in that they were chiral or isomers or similiar (in another way but intended behavior).

I still have the molecular model organic chemisty set that I used in college. I thought it would be great as decor and for my kids to play with. The version I had was just too cool to sell or toss.

a kick in the crotch versus a kick in the face.

tough choice.

Both choices are less than ideal so it really doesn't matter which one you use. Both provide an inferior shave.
Yeah, I would have set my dollar on fire and thrown the change on the ground before spending it on that stuff regardless of the reason.

i enjoy both barbasol and gillette foamy. the lemon lime scent is still awesome. i've also used the c.o. bigelow canned foam. it isn't bad either.

I've always liked barbasol better than the gels or foamy. (I'm new to de shaving and do plan to switch to soap/brush soon!)

There is a new barbasol out in an orange can (sensitive skin). It looks like it may be a nice option. Has anyone tried it?

Water
Stearic Acid
Triethanolamine
Propane
Isobutane (or may contain Butane)
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Laureth-23, Fragrance
Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe)
Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme)
Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract
Salix Alba (Willow Bark) Extract

I've always liked barbasol better than the gels or foamy. (I'm new to de shaving and do plan to switch to soap/brush soon!)

There is a new barbasol out in an orange can (sensitive skin). It looks like it may be a nice option. Has anyone tried it?

Water
Stearic Acid
Triethanolamine
Propane
Isobutane (or may contain Butane)
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Laureth-23, Fragrance
Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe)
Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme)
Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract
Salix Alba (Willow Bark) Extract

I have tried it. It is lightly scented compared to most canned creams. It definitely has some stuff that is better for your skin than typical shave cream. It seems to work fine, as any other canned cream I have used, but I can't say for sure it is better or worse than any other.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I use brush and soap. But if I had to choose between Foamy and Barbasol, I would go with the Barbasol just because it has a bigger cool factor, to me. The can is more retro and sort of esoteric. Gillette is a mega brand and suffers in the cool department, if you ask me. Functionally, I think they probably suck equally, more or less. You could try brushing it onto your beard with a badger or boar well loaded with hot water and maybe that would work better.

Top Bottom