What's new

Canned Foam (Barbasol Aloe): Revisited

So the other day I grabbed a can of Barbasol Aloe, since it was on sale for a buck, and keep it on hand for:
  1. revisiting canned goo after 18 months of making lather on my face using great soaps and creams from all over the world
  2. the scent, which I like very much
  3. a day in which I didn't feel like making lather, which is every time I shave. I am lazy.
So I jumped out of the shower, wet my face again, and rubbed roughly a golfball-sized amount of Barbasol Aloe into my beard. It was weird not using a brush after all this time, and honestly, didn't save me any time, it actually took a little longer and I had to wash my hands off after! I made sure it was mixed in, hydrated, and rubbed in nicely before I started...

...Then the first stroke on my cheek, the easiest part of my face.....no glide, tons of blade feel, no residual slickness whatsoever...but instead stickiness....this was not going to end well was it? Why was I doing this to myself? What was I trying to prove? So I kept going and was happy to finish my first pass. And by the time I got to my neck it was all dried out, haven't had THAT happen in a LONG time. I rinsed with the some water to see how I did and I had stubble all over the place! I was using a fresh sharp blade too, so that wasn't the problem.

So what to do for the second pass? I pulled out my synthetic, wet it good, and hit the top of my Martin de Candre Original for a few seconds, then face-lathered it in less time it took to work the goo into my beard. Finished the shave, which was smooth, no tugging, got nice and close, and my skin felt great. MdC is not even the slickest soap I own, that goes to Tabac and Arko, yet was light years ahead of the canned goo. I'm glad for the revisit, but won't be doing that again any time soon. For a few bucks or less, nothing beats Arko!

I've read others on this forum who use canned shave cream and find it acceptable - including Barbasol Aloe.

That has not been my experience. I picked up some Nivea Deep Clean Gel and the shave was acceptable, but I had a lot of residual lather on my blade, and my skin was dry afterwards.

Lathering creams and soaps with a brush gives much better results.

had a nice shave with Barbasol foam on it's 100 yr anniversary!

barbasol gillette fine december 14 2018.jpg

Never had stickiness per se with the original Barbasol. Not long ago I decided I would have a '50s-style shave with my Super Speed from '53. I showered, put on the Barbasol, waited my regulation 3 minutes to let it soak into the beard, began to shave -- and found it a little dry by the time I finished the shave.

Someone here suggested this: Put on the foam, wait however long, then rinse the stuff off and re-apply -- then immediately wield the razor. That worked fine.

Never had stickiness per se with the original Barbasol. Not long ago I decided I would have a '50s-style shave with my Super Speed from '53. I showered, put on the Barbasol, waited my regulation 3 minutes to let it soak into the beard, began to shave -- and found it a little dry by the time I finished the shave.

Someone here suggested this: Put on the foam, wait however long, then rinse the stuff off and re-apply -- then immediately wield the razor. That worked fine.

Yes, that was me. Happy it worked out. I find foam is a 'work quick' product. Slap some on to prep your whiskers, rinse it off when it dries out, slap some on again and immediately go to town. It doesn't need residual slickness because it's not designed for multi pass/buffing/jhooking/etc. It's made to put on and be shaved off. If you need to hit that spot again, lather again

So the other day I grabbed a can of Barbasol Aloe, since it was on sale for a buck, and keep it on hand for:
  1. revisiting canned goo after 18 months of making lather on my face using great soaps and creams from all over the world
  2. the scent, which I like very much
  3. a day in which I didn't feel like making lather, which is every time I shave. I am lazy.
So I jumped out of the shower, wet my face again, and rubbed roughly a golfball-sized amount of Barbasol Aloe into my beard. It was weird not using a brush after all this time, and honestly, didn't save me any time, it actually took a little longer and I had to wash my hands off after! I made sure it was mixed in, hydrated, and rubbed in nicely before I started...

...Then the first stroke on my cheek, the easiest part of my face.....no glide, tons of blade feel, no residual slickness whatsoever...but instead stickiness....this was not going to end well was it? Why was I doing this to myself? What was I trying to prove? So I kept going and was happy to finish my first pass. And by the time I got to my neck it was all dried out, haven't had THAT happen in a LONG time. I rinsed with the some water to see how I did and I had stubble all over the place! I was using a fresh sharp blade too, so that wasn't the problem.

So what to do for the second pass? I pulled out my synthetic, wet it good, and hit the top of my Martin de Candre Original for a few seconds, then face-lathered it in less time it took to work the goo into my beard. Finished the shave, which was smooth, no tugging, got nice and close, and my skin felt great. MdC is not even the slickest soap I own, that goes to Tabac and Arko, yet was light years ahead of the canned goo. I'm glad for the revisit, but won't be doing that again any time soon. For a few bucks or less, nothing beats Arko!
You just finished what I call "Real shave soap appreciation therapy". I am doing the same thing with razor blades.
I just finished an 83 shave "shave off" between a Bic and a Wizamet Irridium Super. For contrast, I am on shave 3
with a Derby Extra I have had for years. Doing this really brings into focus how good top tier razor blades are.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
YMMV. I am truly sorry that your Barbasol shave was an atrocity. I will stand by the product insofar as I used it for decades with cart razors and it served its purpose. If I am feeling particularly lazy I will slap some on over a pre-shave and enjoy my Feather Popular. The Feather Popular's build is reminiscent of a cart razor, but performs well beyond anything a cart could do. So for an easy/lazy shave that is my go to.

I still use canned foam from time to time, and surprisingly I get far better shaves with it than I used to years ago before switching to DE and soap/cream. The trick seems to be a splash of water mixed into the foam till it's shiny, rub it on and shave. I don't wait for it to soak into my whiskers because I always shave after I shower. Using this simple method seems to do a very good job for me, especially if I'm in a hurry.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I still use canned foam from time to time, and surprisingly I get far better shaves with it than I used to years ago before switching to DE and soap/cream. The trick seems to be a splash of water mixed into the foam till it's shiny, rub it on and shave. I don't wait for it to soak into my whiskers because I always shave after I shower. Using this simple method seems to do a very good job for me, especially if I'm in a hurry.
I use it IN the shower, specifically (and usually) Barbasol Aloe. I think you are on to something: maybe the "super hydration" makes it work so well.

I REALLY am addicted to face lathering, and as @BudgetShaverGuy stated, I also love the way that particular flavor just plain smells so GOOD! I wish some of the scents in these present day foams were available in a puck. Seems like Gillette especially could do this. I mean, aren't they owned or they themselves own, a soap company? They REALLY have an untapped market in the wet shaving community. Someone who knows how should start a poll thingy on here asking how much we'd be willing to pay for Gillette or Williams or anyone that put out pucks that smells good. Like $1 to $5, or $6 to $9, $10 to $14.... You get the idea. I'd easily pay 4 or 5 bucks for a nice, clean smelling puck of soap the size of Williams.

And don't even mention Old Spice! They would clean up, and you know they have the manufacturing capability.

Who's going to start the poll? Don't make me pick one of you!

i use Barbasol for some of my shaves, The Sensitive Skin and Pacific Rush
scents are my favorites.
i don't have any problems with it. It's simple and it works. But I must
admit I get better shaves with the brush and soap or cream.

Good move!

Changing to MdC mid-shave worked like a charm!! Best not to stick with a plan that just isn’t working!! :a5:

Top Bottom