What's new

Can Anyone Identify This Two Piece Open Comb?

This just arrived and I’m interested to know more about it.

An Open Comb with an interesting two piece design.
The baseplate is attached to the neck of the handle but it swivels freely so that the top cap can be screwed tight into it.
Also the ends of the top cap extend noticeably beyond the ends of the baseplate.
5786491A-FA68-4486-B1AF-37C6054E20BD.jpeg
7E929653-EB88-4D5F-BC40-FEF86BBE7D5D.jpeg
FEBC9EB5-DBB3-416E-AA25-3E2399ACE587.jpeg
0CF10147-2EF1-4D07-AD1D-A0166CA26DEC.jpeg

Any ideas guys?

The two piece design with the fully rotating handle is the same, but I've only ever seen the Conrads with a bakelight handle, and the trademark is usually marked on the underside of the bottom plate (which would be tough to misplace on this particular razor!). I'm not saying it's not a Conrad, just that it would be the first metal handle example that I've seen and that would be cool!

Last edited:
Hmm... I found this:
Unknown Open Comb - Thought I'd Seen Them All
It’s got a photo of the identical razor to mine in a Conrad case.
But the top cap is identical to the cap on the Barbasol Floating Head (thought it looked familiar!) and Conrad manufactured the Barbasol.

So could this be the fabled Barbasol Open Comb?

Hmm... I found this:
Unknown Open Comb - Thought I'd Seen Them All
It’s got a photo of the identical razor to mine in a Conrad case.
But the top cap is identical to the cap on the Barbasol Floating Head (thought it looked familiar!) and Conrad manufactured the Barbasol.

So could this be the fabled Barbasol Open Comb?

It looks like you've got just a plain Jane ol' generic razor there. Shame to have it wasting space in your den. I'm more than happy to take it off your hands for a $5.00 to free up the space...:001_tongu

I think you're right that the razor in the link you provided is a dead ringer for your own. What a cool find! Congrats!

The open comb barbasols I have seen came two dfferent ways and this isn't one of them.
Curiouser and curiouser... do you have any pics of those OC Barbasols?
I guess we can be confident that this IS made by Conrad though...

Bookending the pic. I wouldn't be surprised if the permedge is all inbred with these as well

Attachments

• 001_164380.jpg
    001_164380.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 32
Bookending the pic. I wouldn't be surprised if the permedge is all inbred with these as well
Thanks! What’s the razor in the far right of the pic? It has a really radical handle design.

I love discussions like these where we jump down a rabbit hole and go off on adventures into razor history.

So I shaved with the Conrad/Barbasol Open Comb tonight and it was such a pleasure:
C62E5760-40D4-40F1-9706-14B8F0A18CE4.jpeg

As promised, this is a nicely balanced mid-aggressive and smooth shaver.
Pure quality!

Top Bottom