What's new

Can any of you use a DE without a nick or two?

I occasionally get a nick or two, despite using the mild combination of a blue-tip Superspeed and a Personna Red.

But I work in morning radio, and shave at 3:15 am! YOU try being perfect with those hours!

I do not get any nicks or weepers in almost a year BUT my post shave alum rub will tell me where I have irritated myself.

In almost every case it was not paying attention, getting way too close with a very sharp blade etc.

Gene

Practice is everything. I used to get a nick on the same spot of my chin like once a week. Nowadays I usually don't get a nick in several weeks.
And I'm expecting the frequency to decrease in the future. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Sure I can. But sometimes I've got a little pimple or something that gets whacked with the blade, and it bleeds every so much but stops bleeding by the time I finish my post-shave routine (hot water rinse, cold water rinse, witch hazel, ASB). Or sometimes, I'll just go off with my angle or something like that and get a little nick. That shouldn't bother you. What should bother you is regular raw irritation and/or redness. That means your shaving technique, prep, or lather need work.

Been shaving with a DE for just under 3 weeks now, and today I had my first shave with no blood whatsoever. And it was with a two day old Derby of all blades!

It doesn't mean I don't ever get them. In fact when I'm in a hurry I will usually get at least one. But to plainly answer the question, yes I can shave without getting a nick and frequently do, but obviously not always.

I think that is the norm, but there are some folks here who insist that they have shaved for twenty years, everyday, four passes each shave with (insert aggressive razor here) and have never had so much as a weeper. They fall into my second category of shavers.

I just started wetshaving and have used a DE 3 times now. Once with a super speed and a 7 o'clock blue blade and twice with a simple 3 piece and an astra SP blade. I have yet to knick myself. I do get a little irritation but it fades fast and I'm left with a wonderful shave.

I very seldom shed any blood while shaving, but it happens on occasion. Back in my cartridge razor days I alwas had a bunch of weepers or at least some razor burn, but not any more. If that were still the case I would have to be questioning my decision to shave this way.

i very seldom nick or get weepers, but like many others have stated, if im in a rush and not paying attention a weeper or nick will happen...generally i allow myself enough time that i take my time shaving so im not rushed and i leave the bathroom unscathed

Don't get nicks that much...but depending upon the razor/blade, weepers do pop up.

This week's rotation of a 39C Slant - Weber DLC and a Tradere SB finds the weepers coming with the Tradere...hard to escape them. With the Slant and Weber - no issues.

Quick question: what do you mean with "weeper"?

According to the B&B Glossary, it's "a small nick." Which raises the question, what's the difference between a nick and a small nick. And at what point does a nick become a cut? So I guess to refine my answer above, I get the occasional weeper, but that's about it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
just had a perfect shave today with merkur 34c and a Feather. 2 pass, N/S then S/N. even did the wet finger touch up with no issues. first time ever with a Feather

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
According to the B&B Glossary, it's "a small nick." Which raises the question, what's the difference between a nick and a small nick. And at what point does a nick become a cut? So I guess to refine my answer above, I get the occasional weeper, but that's about it.
i always thought the difference was how you have to stop the bleeding. as in a nick usually takes more than a cold water rinse to stop the bleeding, such as a styptic pencil or toilet paper flag. a weeper will usually stop bleeding with a cold water rinse or alum or WH rinse. 2 different levels of severity

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Quick question: what do you mean with "weeper"?

Think about other injuries, like an abrasion, a paper cut, a knife cut and a gash or extreme bludgeon. They all cause bleeding but are different types of injuries. So a weeper would be the most minor of shave related bleeding, razor burn is like an abrasion and nicks can vary with degree of injury.

Now that I have described that I would say that I mostly get weepers while nicks are very rare. For me, all it takes is lack of prep and wammo! instant weeper.

Top Bottom