What's new

Campers...?

Growing up in Northern WV & Southern Ohio, we were always camping (usually near a trout stream, but occasionally just for the sake of camping/hiking/etc). In my youth I'd probably spend 30 weekends a year, at least, in a tent. That slowed down a lot as I turned 16 and started making my own plans and in the last 17-18 years I've probably only been a dozen or two times. The last time I went, Easter weekend last year, I decided that I was done tent camping (I have a recurring back problem and the hard ground kept me awake until 3AM, at which time I went and tried to sleep in the car). To pour salt in the wound, I was actually the only tent in the entire campground, so I had to lay there, awake, listening to all the generators keeping their occupants comfortable...

Recently my 9 year old daughter has been asking about camping. In addition to my last experience, she's very jumpy and I know that every little squirrel running around is going to keep her awake, which is going to keep me awake ("Dad... there's a bear outside the tent!"). Plus, being a girl, there's the "I have to potty" issue at 2AM (not quite as easy for her to just unzip the tent and pee out the side...).

I think it would be more enjoyable, for both of us, if we had a camper. I've been wanting a boat for some time to increase our options for fishing locally, but I guess with a camper that would open up opportunities to check out bank-fishing in other locations.

So I'm here looking for advice/suggestions/insight. I have a 4.0 V6 4WD Auto Ford Ranger. I don't know what campers weigh or what kind of tow rating they carry, so what sizes should I be looking for (no 5th wheels).

I'd like a bathroom for her, which would probably eliminate pop-up campers, but it's not a deal breaker. It'll probably have to be used, as I'll probably only have a couple grand to work with. Don't need a 30 footer, as it's just me and my daughter for the most part.

For those of you that already own - or have owned - campers: What do you like/dislike about them? If you were doing it again, what would you do different? Go bigger/smaller? New/used?

Thanks, y'all!

We have a camper that we keep at a campsite. I think the only thing we will do next is get one that the MIL has no access to and get one with slide outs. We generally do not use the potty in the camper except for the little ones or nighttime breaks. It has brought our family a lot closer to have the weekend getaways that are fun and different than the norm. The showers are so small in these and get so hot in the summer you are better off using the campsite showers.

Go for it. The best thing that you can do with your children is camping. I have never used a camper, so can't give advice on that aspect.
We started camping with the Boy Scouts in Kentucky (land between the lakes). When we moved to NC in our HS years we winter camped at Linville Falls and in Linville Gorge, Table Rock, Wiseman's View and Clingman's Dome. I have been going backpacking with my brother in law and nephew all along the Applachian Trail. Now that I'm older and with back problems I can't do that as much.
I have seen a pop up with a restroom, maybe I'll go that route.
What ever way you choose, make the best of the time you have with them. They grow up so fast.

Top Bottom