What's new

Coastal Discovery Dayhike, pix

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finally got a pack on and got back out in the woods yesterday. Caught covid about six weeks ago and was one of those lucky folks to have a bad time with it. Still dizzy/nausea a bit. Anyways! The cure is found OUTSIDE.

IMG_20231028_103448_edit_1698583835144.jpg

These woods are public day use, no camping. Lots of trails, paths, and traces. I had previously found a great overlook on the bluff with a view of the water. A couple hundred yards away is a nice beach. Both have paths, and sometimes, joggers, dog walkers, etc. I'd looked at satellite pix and inferred a place in between that would be quieter, if I could cut the brush and find it.

IMG_20231028_111143.jpg

(Secluded beach, above) Followed a path to a trace, then a faint trace, then it was compass time.
The woods grew brighter as I reached where the water had to be. Popped out in a very interesting place...

IMG_20231028_114419.jpg

Trash! I approached cautiously. Homeless camp? Nah. That tent has been there ten years, based on a jar label at the scene. A pair of teens may have played house there, perhaps. A happy thought. Until I pulled up the tent and found this SKELETON! 🦴 😏 Sorry. It IS Halloween. I left the tent, will bury it next time along with any other trash. Probably will harvest the poles and restring for tarp/rain use anyways.

IMG_20231028_115646.jpg

I cleaned up the site a bit, but there's two perfect trees spaced for a hammock overlooking the water. .. Check.

IMG_20231028_122324.jpg

Gear notes: Silky saw is a joy for minor trimming. Next time I will bring a Fiskars nipper I use for hammock-hanging cleanup and pricker vines. Maxpedition Typhoon is a tiny but tough pack. County Comm lume on zipper pull. Nalgene bottle. Indochina bush hat. I like those giant Niteyez biners for a quick pack drop. The $3 folding stool weighs little, fits straps under pack.

IMG_20231028_132000.jpg

Compass bearing 128-deg got me home, but I'll be back. As others found, that's a neat little clearing.

Thanks for checking out the pix. Comments welcome!

AA

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the pix and the review of the area. Looks like a great place to hike and get away from it all.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for the pix and the review of the area. Looks like a great place to hike and get away from it all.

It is, and thanks! Has one drawback: Bears, and plenty of them. They come out to raid the residential areas' trashcans, then flee back into their woodsy sanctuary. I've been surprised twice, or had encounters, anyways. I generally need a snack if I'm there all day, and used to cook freeze-dried meals for lunch, but. Not any more. Typically eat a bar or something and immediately bury the trash. If I cook, I do it and move to another place.

Rattlers and cat-eaters (coyotes), too. Dog-walking man told me he lost a pooch to a snakebite on his favorite dog's nose. He carries a stick ... now.

Never a deer, not even one track. They got "et" long ago ... even the squirrels are pretty fast there.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glad you got out in the trail. Nice gear report too! I enjoyed the part about the abandoned tent.
I really want to practice bushcrafting stuff there- knots, making stuff etc. The arbor knot is "the bushcrafter's zip-tie," some say. I'd like to improve the site, clean it up, but just leave it a clean, pretty clearing. No trail leads there and the bluff's too high to (easily) climb.

I didn't pull up the tent that day because I do not want to FIND a skeleton in there. I'd then have to get a ranger and the day will ... be not as good. However! For a reality-show kick, I will pull that thing up next time and find out if there's ah, anything, in it.

AA

Top Bottom