What's new

Calling all cartridge users - what system are you using?

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I get a faster and closer shave with less irritation and no blood with my old Fusion system instead of DE.

However, I do not like to cost of the Fusion nor the size of the cartridge. It's hard to work around the nose/upper lip, etc.

What cartridge system most of you cartridge users are using??

Thanks

Shaving with a safety razor certainly takes longer, and I imaging that using a str8 takes even longer. There is also less blood, because it is designed to be completely idiot-proof. However, the necessity of having to press with it to engage all the blades (sigh) is where the evil happens. I find I get smoother, better shaves with a safety razor than I ever did with a cartridge. If I had to, using what I know now, I could probably get just as good of a shave with a cartridge, in less time, but it wouldn't be as enjoyable and it would CERTAINLY be more expensive.

Oh, and I used a Fusion.

Brace yourself for the onslaught of "all cartridges are terrible" posts. When I travel I for work, I often use the Sensor and it works really well. You can find them on ebay for $1.00 - $1.50 each. I have also had success with the Mach 3, but the prices are pretty terrible and I am not a fan of the "reverse mount" system that the Mach 3 and Fusion use.

When I used a cart, the back-side of the Gillette Fusion worked best there (it's just a single blade). Personally, ended up getting a better shave with that in those locations than with the 5 blades on the other side on my cheeks/chin. Tried using that a few times on the bigger areas, with the same result ... and then realized DE razors (after calculating the price after "oh, I need $x00 to start") ended up being a way better choice in the long run over a box of carts...

Took me ~6 months to really get the hang of "look dummy, the head is solidly attached to the handle, so your hand has to be the swivel point". Found some suggestion (might've been here) to hold the DE at the very bottom of the handle, between your thumb and forefinger, with just enough pressure to not drop it -- you want to let the razor do the work, you're just guiding the head along your face. YMMV though.

I've heard that injector razors are the closest thing to the cart razors.

Have you tried an injector razor?

I enjoy using the ones I have.

I use the same Trac II that I used 40 years ago in college (with Wal*Mart Wilkies). I use it mostly when traveling & camping. I tried some of the other multi-multi-multi bladed contraptions, but could not figure them out! My daily driver(s) are my four adjustables - Black Beauty, Fat Boy, Slim, Aristocrat Adjustable.

~Frank

For me personally the Gillette "Track II", "Mach³" & "ProGlide" are very good razors, the Personna "M5.1" too.
The shave with this cartridges are quick, smooth and very good, even with the DE razor "Futur" from Merkur.

There is no need for real pressing the cartridge on the skin - the shaving foam only must be a little "watery" ;).

Greetings

Andreas

Fusion proglide gives me fantastic shaves...probably closest of anything I've ever used. But the carts are so expensive and the shave just lacks the soul of my other razors. I usually ask for replacement carts as a stocking stuffer for Christmas so I don't have to pay for them myself and that usually covers me for most of the year. It's learned though that for me, the most crucial part of my shave is a quality brush and a quality soap or cream.

Sensor for me - Excel or standard. I found the date code on my handle - had it since '92. I switched to DEs in the interest of "saving money." :001_rolle I've been curious about the Personna stuff. Might get one and try it out.

Top Bottom