What's new

C. V. Heljestrand Single Edge Razor By Hoffritz

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This was a interesting flea market find. A complete C.V.H. SE Razor. Both parts to the handle are in the case and has well as the stropping attachment. The case is a touch tatty on the outside but clean inside. The case it labeled Hoffritz inside and also the one blade. Can not find any info of Hoffritz selling the SE as opposed to them selling C.V. H. straight razors. A nice piece of history mixing the end of the C.V.H. SE razors and the beginning of Hoffritz as a cutlery company

2F4AE009-E5B5-475C-ABBE-7983F9A13F7D.jpeg
2109BE3F-D6D4-4F0E-9BB9-02EA2B6F0C0B.jpeg
24871F97-86AB-4382-930E-AF3A6D5D8FF8.jpeg
0BAEA964-ED5B-4BF8-A9B2-061FFAD0A4DD.jpeg
56F08E1B-B656-43FC-AF1F-0F2EBA4859C0.jpeg

Very interesting. It is not like someone put a Heljestrand in a Hoffritz box because the box seem to be made to fit the razor. Also, as you mentioned, there is the matter of a wedge blade with the Hoffritz name on it. I know that the Henckels Rapide was made for a bunch of different folks, but this is the first I seen of a Heljestrand. Great find.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thank you gentlemen

Very interesting. It is not like someone put a Heljestrand in a Hoffritz box because the box seem to be made to fit the razor. Also, as you mentioned, there is the matter of a wedge blade with the Hoffritz name on it. I know that the Henckels Rapide was made for a bunch of different folks, but this is the first I seen of a Heljestrand. Great find.

I almost did not buy think it was a marriage, a C.V.H. in a Hoffritz box. I did not see the blade until I got home. It was installed in the razor with the logo facing in. I did buy because complete set are not seen often, especially at FM pricing, I am glad I did. Some quick Google-fu that I found that the SE stopped being made around 1938 and Hoffritz started around 1934.

Last edited:
Kindal stores in Europe sold CVH SE razors under an exclusive arrangement; perhaps Hoffritz made a similar deal for the US market. They are great razors, I use one occasionally with a GEM SE blade.

I've thought for some time that barbers used more than one razor type to get the job done. These razors are a pain if you didn't have facial hair I suspect. The little SR probably served to shave under and around the nose.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I've thought for some time that barbers used more than one razor type to get the job done. These razors are a pain if you didn't have facial hair I suspect. The little SR probably served to shave under and around the nose.

It is a stropping attachment for the wedge blade. This is a lather catcher style razor for the general public.

Any barber that needs more than one razor need to go back to barber school, HAHA

FYI, Using the blade holder, to strop or hone: assemble the two pieces of your handle, and the neck of the sheetmetal blade holder slips into the base of the handle (or in the rear of the piece you have it attached to). You'll snap or bend the holder if you use it the way it's currently connected. I have a lot of hoes & wedgies, ask me how I know!:001_302:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
FYI, Using the blade holder, to strop or hone: assemble the two pieces of your handle, and the neck of the sheetmetal blade holder slips into the base of the handle (or in the rear of the piece you have it attached to). You'll snap or bend the holder if you use it the way it's currently connected. I have a lot of hoes & wedgies, ask me how I know!:001_302:

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I set it up only for display. I have several other lather catchers and have never used the attachment. I hone my hollow ground and wedge blades with tape cut long to have wings. Similar to the pIcture. I have better control when finishing on a Coticule or a hard Ark. For maintenance, I will palm strop

0BBB7F99-9B44-4AD6-BDD2-15C38C03AE0E.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Yes, the usual one.
With the support that allows to hone as a normal straight razor.

In the past different projects was tried.
That one became the normal standard, for a good reason.
Efficiency.

I guess I did not read the manual. I hone as if it is a SR, a finger on the toe, one on the heel, and one giving forward motion on the spine. I flip using the tape as if it was the tang. It is comfortable to me and delivers a smooth, keen edge. It works for me

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I set it up only for display. I have several other lather catchers and have never used the attachment. I hone my hollow ground and wedge blades with tape cut long to have wings. Similar to the pIcture. I have better control when finishing on a Coticule or a hard Ark. For maintenance, I will palm strop

View attachment 954589
Brill. I like it & will give it a go. Thanks.

Top Bottom