What's new

Buying vintage Gillette razors

I just got three "new" vintage razors today. After a good scrubbing with hot water and dish soap, I soaked the heads for 30 minutes in 91% alcohol. That's gotta kill pretty much anything alive on them.

Neil-O, what are your thoughts about shimming these Old Type razors?
@santamariasteve : I have never used a shim before. I know there has been lots of discussion about shims and some guys swear by them. If you are curious then I would suggest you give it a try. I really get an awesome shave with all my old types just as they are, but the ABC I posted the picture of is especially nice to shave with. Back to our topic: I just clean my newly acquired vintage razors with very hot water, Dawn, and a toothbrush.

A halfway decent ultrasonic cleaner will run you under $200 and if you put a razor through one, it will be cleaner than when it left the factory. If you decide at some point to get into making/refurbishing/re-plating, it's a decent piece of equipment to have in your arsenal.

I only use vintage razors. I love them for their history and heritage.

Can you please suggest a decent ultrasound cleaner... or maybe link to one on Amazon that you think could do the job so that I can follow this up

I just did some googling. Are these the same things that ppl use to clean jewelry?

And on the topic of vintage razors. I have searched high and low on the forum here to find a link to someone / anyone that provides a restoration and plating service.

There is a restoration section for the single blade guys but I couldn't find anything for vintage DE. I hope this is not an inappropriate question, but if anyone could post keys or message me with the info to send me on the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

I've honestly never thought twice or hesitated about using my vintage razors in their as found condition. Granted, all three were quite clean and two (from the same seller) were run through an ultrasonic machine before I got them. I even considered using some vintage blued steel blades with my first DE razor, until seeing the rust spots.

Give me vintage or give me death

YMMV. I don’t think rational, objective arguments would ever convince me to go modern. Nor would it work the other way around. It’s the same as the other age-old discussion why one would buy expensive razors versus cheap ones when arguably a cheap razor shaves as nice as an expensive one.

...But now you’ll have to excuse me - I gotta go trawl Ebay for another vintage razor with a fantastic history, having been owned by a simple fisherman in Nova Scotia or maybe an English Earl standing every morning and shaving, looking out at the wide pastures, or... :biggrin1:

Happy shaves everybody, wherever you are and no matter whether you are holding a 1957 rusty Tech or a 2020 Paradigm Diamondback. As long as you are shaving! ❤

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
...But now you’ll have to excuse me - I gotta go trawl Ebay for another vintage razor with a fantastic history, having been owned by a simple fisherman in Nova Scotia or maybe an English Earl standing every morning and shaving, looking out at the wide pastures, or...

I've often wondered the same about my Gillette Regent Tech from the 1940's. How did that razor manage to end up in Greece, where had it been before that and who brought it there...

The last used razors I picked up were these.

L-R. Made in Canada Gillette Old Type. Made in England Old Type clone, made in Canada post war Gillette Tech and who doesnt like $5 Slims lol.

IMG_2637.JPG

The Brit clone and Tech have mismatched handles. I only have two DE's on my shelf now, my Grande and this Brit clone.

IMG_2648.jpg

Its one of the nicest razors I've ever used.

I only use vintage razors. I love them for their history and heritage.

Can you please suggest a decent ultrasound cleaner... or maybe link to one on Amazon that you think could do the job so that I can follow this up

I just did some googling. Are these the same things that ppl use to clean jewelry?

And on the topic of vintage razors. I have searched high and low on the forum here to find a link to someone / anyone that provides a restoration and plating service.

There is a restoration section for the single blade guys but I couldn't find anything for vintage DE. I hope this is not an inappropriate question, but if anyone could post keys or message me with the info to send me on the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

I don't know anything about this particular machine but I know that Branson is a good industrial maker of these machines so I definitely know that their big machines are good.

Top Bottom