What's new

Business Trip to Europe

I will be visiting Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Dublin and London (2 week trip) for business in June and since this will be my first business trip to Europe, I'm curious whether its more appropriate in their business setting to wear a suit or if a sport coat/navy blazer is appropriate?

Also, what colors are more appropriate? For summer, I have a light brown suit, navy suit, seersucker, khaki cotton suit and several sport coats in light tan, blue and navy. I'm thinking about buying a light grey herringbone or glen plaid suit during the upcoming brooks brothers corporate discount day.

Would these be appropriate for summer?

Black & White Glen Plaid

$MK00352_BLACK-WHITE.jpg

Grey Herringbone
$MK00407_GREY.jpg

I would ask what sort of business you are in, Mike.

In most cases a suit is preferable but depending on your line of work you may be better served by a blazer/sports coat.

As far as colours go- stay conservative. The weather in Europe shouldn't be as hot as it would normally be in your area in June.

I personally would go with the suits for London and Frankfurt. Also would say stick with the grey herringbone above, the glen plaid would most likely be out of place in AMS or DUB, and too informal for London or FRA. AMS and Dub you could do sports jacket and trousers fairly easy as a generality, but I don't know the specific circumstances. Are you traveling with other employees/bosses? They can be helpful as a reference. Stick to navy and gray in London if you are in the City. The 'No brown in Town' rule has pretty much gone away, but being unfamiliar you probably should err that way.

2 weeks you can do with two suits very easily moving around as much as you are. If you want any packing tips, just ask.

You should stop by Poole when in London! They are in DC as we speak, you may be able to see them tomorrow before they leave, and have something waiting when you get there in June :)

Mike,

You didn't ask, but;

Avoid penny loafers/shoes with tassels.

Avoid button down collars.

Turn up with cuff links if possible.

Ray

I personally would go with the suits for London and Frankfurt. Also would say stick with the grey herringbone above, the glen plaid would most likely be out of place in AMS or DUB, and too informal for London or FRA. AMS and Dub you could do sports jacket and trousers fairly easy as a generality, but I don't know the specific circumstances. Are you traveling with other employees/bosses? They can be helpful as a reference. Stick to navy and gray in London if you are in the City. The 'No brown in Town' rule has pretty much gone away, but being unfamiliar you probably should err that way.

2 weeks you can do with two suits very easily moving around as much as you are. If you want any packing tips, just ask.

You should stop by Poole when in London! They are in DC as we speak, you may be able to see them tomorrow before they leave, and have something waiting when you get there in June :)

I went to Brooks Brothers tonight and bought three suits, the Glen Plaid above, a grey similar to the one above but with a blue /cream windowpane and a beautiful blue with faint navy pinstripe. Their corporate sale is next week so my sales associate let me pick what I wanted and will charge me next week.

We'll be meeting with government officials in those countries so I'm assuming they'll be more formal. Yes, my boss and 3 other coworkers will be traveling and we'll be spending 3-4 days in each location.

What you're saying is that AMS and DUB are less formal and Frankfurt and London more formal? We may be going to Brussels as well.

I'm thinking the navy pinstripe suit and the grey window pane and take a blue sport coat for dinner.

I will add Poole to the list of places to visit. Unfortunately, the war museum in closed for renovation. Any low key pub recommendation?

Yes, packing tips greatly appreciated?

Last edited:
War museum is closed? Damn! I am going to be in London Sun - Wed this coming week, and wanted to pop by.

Good work on the BB sale, sounds like your salesperson is looking out for you. The latter two suits you picked should fit the bill nicely I think. London and Frankfurt are definitely more formal places the Amsterdam, Dublin or Brussels, though meeting government, it becomes pretty much business attire all the way. You could consider something tweed for a sports jacket for dinners and such in DUB, AMS or BRU, but if you feel more comfortable bringing navy, I'd just stick to that. Bringing two jackets would be total overkill.

I'll send some pub reccy's for sure.

With all due respect, I'd skip the sports coat and separate colored pants approach.. you're going to look like the 'visiting American' unless that is what you'd want.

I'd also skip the tweed, at least for Frankfurt, Brussels, London and Amsterdam.

My view..

Amsterdam will be a game of 3 halves..!.. some will be in typical dark suits, some will be wearing something a little more out there (hard striped suits or the lighter colored gray ones like you posted), or even jeans, shirt and a pullover.

London and Frankfurt will probably be dark suits.

Dublin I don't get to very often, but I'd think it's somewhere in the middle.

If it was me, I'd go with a couple of dark suits. Dinners could be either the suit or could be jeans or different pants and it would be acceptable to wear a jacket that isn't too formal.

Rays advice about double/french cuffs and cufflinks, and skipping the penny loafers are spot on.

BTW, really like those BB suits you posted. I picked up a black suit from them last year at their Vegas outlet. Really pleased with it, and I got my MIL (a retired seamstress) to take 5mm of the trousers last month. She commented that it was one of the best made suits of mine she'd even altered... Might pick up one of those gray ones when I'm back later this year...

Thanks Graham. Yes, my sales associate hooked me up, using BB's 2 for $1700 promo minus 30% corporate discount, each suit averaged $600. So, the sales associate charged me $600 for the additional suit. Therefore, I was able to buy $1200 suits for $600 a piece (50% off).

Is the black/white glen plaid appropriate business attire? Curious whether I bought something that I'm not going to be able to wear in the spring/summer for daily business meetings.

Here's picks of the first two:

Regent Fit Black/White Glen Plaid with Blue Stripe

$MK00312_BLACK-WHITE.jpg

Regent Fit Saxxon Wool Sharkskin with Windowpane

$MK00307_GREY.jpg

Last edited:
With all due respect, I'd skip the sports coat and separate colored pants approach.. you're going to look like the 'visiting American' unless that is what you'd want.

I'd also skip the tweed, at least for Frankfurt, Brussels, London and Amsterdam.

My view..

Amsterdam will be a game of 3 halves..!.. some will be in typical dark suits, some will be wearing something a little more out there (hard striped suits or the lighter colored gray ones like you posted), or even jeans, shirt and a pullover.

London and Frankfurt will probably be dark suits.

Dublin I don't get to very often, but I'd think it's somewhere in the middle.

If it was me, I'd go with a couple of dark suits. Dinners could be either the suit or could be jeans or different pants and it would be acceptable to wear a jacket that isn't too formal.

Rays advice about double/french cuffs and cufflinks, and skipping the penny loafers are spot on.

BTW, really like those BB suits you posted. I picked up a black suit from them last year at their Vegas outlet. Really pleased with it, and I got my MIL (a retired seamstress) to take 5mm of the trousers last month. She commented that it was one of the best made suits of mine she'd even altered... Might pick up one of those gray ones when I'm back later this year...

Great info Adrian! I definitely don't want to look like the visiting American. :blush: We wouldn't be having dinner with clients, mostly coworkers so I would wear nice pants or dark jeans depending on the restaurant.

No penny loafers with suits for sure...I always wear my Crockett and Jones black brogue captoes with dark suits. Will have to have 2 pair of dress shoes to alternate between wearings.

I agree, the quality of their suits has improved over the last several years.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Taking two suits on your trip already, I'd aim to take just one sportscoat or blazer for evening meals as otherwise you end up looking like some opera star at the airport with masses of luggage ... don't forget the toy dog to carry so it can nip at doormen and such.

:001_rolle

Is the black/white glen plaid appropriate business attire?
Regent Fit Black/White Glen Plaid with Blue Stripe

View attachment 424071
View attachment 424072

IMHO, that suit is fine for business attire.

I can't say if it would "fit" with the suitwearing business culture in Europe, since I don't get there for business and would be just guessing ... but in general it'll be A-OK.

Sorry, just getting back to this now.

I agree with almost everything which has been said thus far- certainly London and Fft being the more formal of your intended European destinations. Any of the suits which you have posted will be fine- there will always be a mixture of attire in a business situation, but if you are in a suit you can feel confident and comfortable.

Have a good trip and try to buy shoes in London!

Last edited:
If it's colleagues dinners, I'd suggest decent jeans, jacket/shirt would be fine unless it's somewhere really, really flash. I'd suggest that you have shoes that you can walk in, as I'd expect there would be an element of that to get to places, especially if local colleagues are taking you out. (and skip white or predominantly white sneakers/runners/trainers, that also tends to make the US visitors stand out!).

If you want any other thoughts or advice, especially about Amsterdam, do feel free to PM me. Glad to help out where I can.

It highly depends ... I have noticed that dress code is becoming slightly more formal again in the Netherlands, while it is getting a bit more relaxed in London.

In order of formal to casual, I would guess:

Frankfurt
London
Amsterdam
Dublin

Jeans are not accepted in many places. I would go with a traditional business suit, and some slacks. Even in a technical position, I personally would not expect a supplier to step into the office (at least not the first time) in jeans.

For team dinners, slacks and shirt would be fine ... probably no tie needed there.

Regarding suit color, darker is better (partly personal preference). Pinstripes not needed, and may cause irritation in more technical oriented teams. Dark blue or dark grey is always good.

Last edited:
Sorry, just getting back to this now.

I agree with almost everything which has been said thus far- certainly London and Fft being the more formal of your intended European destinations. Any of the suits which you have posted will be fine- there will always be a mixture of attire in a business situation, but if you are in a suit you can feel confident and comfortable.

Have a good trip and try to buy shoes in London!

Thanks David...I'm thinking of having some bespoke shoes made at Cleverley.

Is Europe white/blue dress shirt formal or are striped/gingham or colored solids fine?

I'm looking around here in the office, and most guys with striped shirts (and spencers!) are Indian.

Solid muted colors are absolutely fine. But don't overdo it. In doubt, blue always works.

Edit: dress codes may differ considerably between companies. Is there a chance to ask your counterparts in Europe about specifics?

Last edited:
I'm looking around here in the office, and most guys with striped shirts (and spencers!) are Indian.

Edit: dress codes may differ considerably between companies. Is there a chance to ask your counterparts in Europe about specifics?

Not really. I will be taking my share of white and blue dress shirts but have a purple french cuff and purple stripe (below), blue/green stripe french cuff, pink and white stripe and a couple thin blue gingham dress shirts.

I do plan to wear more conservative ties, solid navy grenadine or navy with purple rep stripe.

$ME01488_PURPLE.jpg

$110Q_PURPLE.jpg

Top Bottom