What's new

Busch Sohn redux

I posted my initial Walbusch adjustable a few years ago, this posting. One of the all time great adjustable slants. Then I discovered the variant in Bakelite called the Busch Sohn, and posted my findings here. A great set and one that appeared in that mail order catalog -- along with several other highly esteemed collectibles from this company.

I just discovered the brother of this white cased Busch Sohn adjustable, in it's actual shipper and along with the branded cleaning cloth.
full

Each set had the original branded badger brush, some original blades, but no soap.
full

full

The razors are identical, the newer (for me) set has the branded polishing cloth.
full

Great classy and classic shaving sets. Those were the days my friend...

I enjoy quality and craftsmanship. The Walbush company personified just that!

Beautiful razor set. I have the lowly Eros version of this razor and consider it to be one of my best shavers. Perhaps one day I will come across a real Bush Sohn that I can afford or a B5 adjustable that won't cost me a mortgage payment.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Another great find, Jake. Alex used to claim you have a time machine ... it appears so.

Yes, those were the days of DE innovation and razor manufacturing pride.

I posted my initial Walbusch adjustable a few years ago, this posting. One of the all time great adjustable slants. Then I discovered the variant in Bakelite called the Busch Sohn, and posted my findings here. A great set and one that appeared in that mail order catalog -- along with several other highly esteemed collectibles from this company.

I just discovered the brother of this white cased Busch Sohn adjustable, in it's actual shipper and along with the branded cleaning cloth.
full

Each set had the original branded badger brush, some original blades, but no soap.
full

full

The razors are identical, the newer (for me) set has the branded polishing cloth.
full

Great classy and classic shaving sets. Those were the days my friend...

I enjoy quality and craftsmanship. The Walbush company personified just that!
Congrats, beautiful razors. I had an NOS Merkur that looked just like that. I originally planned on using it but the cream/white colored bakelite was so gorgeous - I couldn't do it. Do you know if Walbush & Merkur both make these or did one company just rebrand them?

Nice sets Jake, astonishing condition. This model belongs to my favorite razors, shaves really great.
Got one of these sets, missing the brush&cloth unfortunately, but with soap.
Do you know if Walbush & Merkur both make these or did one company just rebrand them?
These were branded Walter Busch, Merkur, Zorro, Eros, and then some. Probably all made by Merkur. Variations were produced by Ile de France (taking proprietary blades).

Thanks for updating the story Richard. Good to know more of the back story as we enjoy these vintage sets.

At one point I found the Swiss and British patents for this model, actually a Walter Busch invention. Sent them to riverrun who placed them on his terrific website. British version here.

Top Bottom